Looking for a cool drain/storm water tunnel

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Looking for a cool drain/storm water tunnel

Postby Cyrus on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:22 pm

I'm not sure exactly what they are called, but I'm looking for one of those cement tunnels that is about 6 to 8 ft tall and made of cement that usually runs under roadways and connects run-off with suburban creeks etc.

There used to be a few out in the Rocklea area but they are all difficult to get to nowadays... has anybody got any suggested locations?

I'm planning on using it for a variety of shoots - one of which is for a themed shoot for a friend.

Thanks
Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby nodabs on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:20 pm

depends what you want it for if you just want a simple pipe with some light just drive around near creeks and you'll find some entrences with the rcp (round concrete pipes) your looking for if your after something abit more intersting and darker(literally) try to get in contact with this guy http://www.dsankt.com/ about some nice brissie drains
nodabs

Postby Cyrus on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:13 am

thanks mate, that's a great site. I've contacted the owner of that site and I'll see if he can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby Cyrus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 am

Unfortunately it seems as if the owner/admin doesn't reply to emails nor does he reply to comments made on their blog..... I'd really like to track down one of the cave clan groups in Brisbane and pick their brains on a few locations.

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby mitedo on Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:40 am

Hey Cyrus when we were kid's we would ride our bikes & skateboards in the pipe's that run under ground at the back of KFC & Mc Donald's at Aspley just near gayford & gympie road not to sure if you can still get into them , but give it a go
Kevin
mitedo

Postby Cyrus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:43 am

thanks mitedo, I'm not familiar with that area as I'm a southside boy but I'll definately go and check it out now.

thanks heaps
Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby rog on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:39 pm

Dsankt definitely knows his stuff, both underground and photographic, and the BrisClanners have always been pretty accomodating of those with a similar interest. They even helped a group out with a nude shoot for a magazine, IIRC.
-- Rog
Canon 20D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.8, 420EX Speedlite, Benro C327 & KB2 + bits
rog

Postby rog on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:46 pm

Forgot to add the standard disclaimer, what you are talking about is very likely to be ille gal and you should take into account the potential consequential legal and safety issues.

That said, I can tell you it's a fascinating pasttime. :)

- Rog
-- Rog
Canon 20D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.8, 420EX Speedlite, Benro C327 & KB2 + bits
rog

Postby nodabs on Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:23 pm

clanners can be abit warey on new comers i'm not actually in the cave clan so i don't have the same paranoia that comes with an orgainised group i'd be happy to show you some of the better drains for "sets if you where in melbourne. have you tried contacting the clan via there website?
nodabs

Postby Cyrus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:38 pm

nodabs wrote:clanners can be abit warey on new comers i'm not actually in the cave clan so i don't have the same paranoia that comes with an orgainised group i'd be happy to show you some of the better drains for "sets if you where in melbourne. have you tried contacting the clan via there website?

Which website, I've found a few but nothing that seems to be Brisbane specific?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:35 pm

nodabs wrote:depends what you want it for if you just want a simple pipe with some light just drive around near creeks and you'll find some entrences with the rcp (round concrete pipes) your looking for if your after something abit more intersting and darker(literally) try to get in contact with this guy http://www.dsankt.com/ about some nice brissie drains

Just last week I was linked to these guys of the danskt site by a friend who might know them so I'll see if I can get some info. :)

Wouldnt mind tracking some decent spots for a shoot or three myself mate so I'll ask this week
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Cyrus on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:14 pm

Once again mate we are looking for the same things lol. I'll let you know if I ever come up with anything :wink:

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby Luke Smith on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:42 pm

there is a large car-sized drain on the driveway to the Tingalpa model air strip - http://www.tmac.asn.au/

Cheers,

Luke
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Postby dsankt on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:45 am

Hey I'm a busy kid! So yeah, who wants to know what?

elffinarts if you're doing a shoot I'd be interested in coming along!

dsankt
dsankt

Postby dsankt on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:04 pm

I posted thinking that some of you were interested in places such as...

The timing was quite good as a bunch of us are heading out this weekend, weather permitting. However if there is no interest *shrugs* so be it.

dsankt
dsankt

Postby Cyrus on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:16 pm

Hey mate, I've been travelling a lot for work and haven't really had a chance to return messages and emails etc. I'm definately interested and so is Elfinarts.... what info do you have?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby xerubus on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 pm

i would be very interested in tagging along guys if you happen to go on an outing.... this weekend however will be no good for me as i'm currently lens-less after selling the 70-200. would be interested in your next trip though.

cheers
Last edited by xerubus on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Tremendous lighting and mooddsankt. Go for it boys but me and confined spaces have an arrangement. I stay out of their territory and they don't bother me :wink: :lol:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Big Red on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:42 am

just to the west of carrara markets is a 4 tunnel drain ... has water in it though.
Big Red

Postby dsankt on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:36 pm

Any photos of it shane?
dsankt

Postby Big Red on Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:05 pm

managed to go via this way to a job and grabbed a couple of pics ... there are two roads with similar tunnels and a walkway on one side.
the water level will probably go down a foot or so in a few days.
there is another smaller set of tunnels a few hundred metres north as well.
Big Red

Postby DionM on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Was down at Minnippi Parklands (the entrance off Wynnum Road) and there are some nice big drains there, with no water. Would be a great spot I reckon - plenty of space to park a car, and walk away to get the focal length etc right.

If only I had a model to work with :wink:

Afternoon sun also goes onto it, really a great spot for photos.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast