Theme Shoot - With Jesselle Models

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Is anyone interested in doing a theme shoot with a www.jessellemodel.com?

Yes
64%
No
7%
Possibly
29%

Total votes : 14

Theme Shoot - With Jesselle Models

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:20 pm

SO SORRY MISTAKE - www.jessellemodels.com

I have spoken with Jessie from Jesselle Models and if we can get enough photographers together then they will be able to supply the models
Gerard

Jessie has said that her team will do all the model releases as private details of the models cannot be shared as they are exclusive to Jesselle.
In return she is only asking if we can supply CD's of images to the models and promote Jesselle Models as an agency
Last edited by Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerard

Postby kipper on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:23 pm

Do these models exist, or are they like the website?
kipper

Re: Theme Shoot - With Jesselle Models

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:27 pm

Gerard wrote:I have spoken with Jessie from Jesselle Models and if we can get enough photographers together then they will be able to supply the models
Gerard

Jessie has said that her team will do all the model releases as private details of the models cannot be shared as they are exclusive to Jesselle.
In return she is only asking if we can supply CD's of images to the models and promote Jesselle Models as an agency

I don't have a problem with this.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:28 pm

I do know the website was playing up this afternoon - my sister called me distressed that the site was not working - it went back up while i was talking to her though...
Gerard
Gerard

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:28 pm

kipper wrote:Do these models exist, or are they like the website?

Huh? What do you mean ?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:30 pm

We'll I'm getting a domain name error. Ahh he's fixed it now :)
Last edited by kipper on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kipper

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:30 pm

Anyone know of a date????
Gerard
Gerard

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:31 pm

The website listed wasn't correct and needed an "s" on the end of the name.

I'm not exactly sure what the big deal is about a photo shoot with the models, mind you.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:31 pm

kipper wrote:We'll I'm getting a domain name error.

kipper try http://www.jessellemodels.com
Gerard
Gerard

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:36 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:The website listed wasn't correct and needed an "s" on the end of the name.

I'm not exactly sure what the big deal is about a photo shoot with the models, mind you.

Gives people a chance to learn to work with warm bodies and different lighting/clothing scenarios.

It can be used to build up a model's portfolio through TFP arrangements, as well as build up some basic skills for the photographer.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xerubus on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:52 pm

I am definitely interested.. I'd love to learn more about lighting and studio photography... at the moment my feeble attempts are based around animals and still subjects.. would be good to expand my learning curve.

dates are not an issue as long as there is a little bit of notice... babysitters aren't that easy to find ...
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:25 pm

It will actually be an outdoor on location shoot - just need to bring your reflector
Gerard
Gerard

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:37 pm

Gerard,
Great news for Bris chapter. But i've been told: shooting model is only for single and not for married man :lol: cos married person have all worry about babysitting and other bits while on course? :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Good god - have you checked out the ages - a few of them are only 16!!!

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby plukaduck on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Chris,

We are only going to photograph them! Not marry them! Would be interesting to learn more on this type of photography.

But then I am still single.

Cheers,

Darryl.
D70, kit lens, 70 - 200VR lens, 12-24 lens, SB 800, Lowe Pro Mini Trekker, Manfrotto Carbon 440 Tripod, Velbon ball head Monopod, Ikelite Underwater Housing, Ikelite 125 Strobe, 60GB X Drive Pro.
plukaduck

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:10 pm

Some of the best photos I ever took were with Kiarni http://www.kiarni.jessellemodels.com who is 5 - she was an absolute sweetie - great for the first hour and a half then I had to chase her for the next 2 hours to get a good photo. But for that first hour and a half was terrific in front of the camera
Gerard
Gerard

Postby ajo43 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:20 pm

I don't want to sound too critical of the site but I reckon you guys with your D70s will take substantially better shots that those on the website. They don't really look like they've been done by a pro to me.
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 pm

ajo43 wrote:I don't want to sound too critical of the site but I reckon you guys with your D70s will take substantially better shots that those on the website. They don't really look like they've been done by a pro to me.

Thanks ajo,
Yep they are my photos - I don't mind taking criticism at all so long as it is justified so please do tell me more ...... and yes I will never be a pro because there is always more in this world to learn ...... we are but all amateurs wanting to learn and wanting to extend ourselves..... but please do share your wisdom I would like to know how I can make my photography better.
Gerard
Gerard

Postby wahr42 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:51 pm

Hi, not sure how much experience I can offer, but I would be happy to tag along and learn. I do mostly nature/landscape photography so this would be quite different. Would be great to give it a try!

Actually I think the images on the site are pretty good, better than I could do!
wahr42

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:13 pm

wahr42 wrote:Hi, not sure how much experience I can offer, but I would be happy to tag along and learn. I do mostly nature/landscape photography so this would be quite different. Would be great to give it a try!

Actually I think the images on the site are pretty good, better than I could do!

Thanks wahr,
The only photos that I have taken besides the ones for the police where someone tagged my car, have all been of people (well the females on the site anyway (as males I can't get a good look out of)). I would love to rack your brain to get ideas on nature and landscape photography, something I want to start to get into.
Gerard
Gerard

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:22 am

Gerard wrote:
ajo43 wrote: but please do share your wisdom I would like to know how I can make my photography better.

There's a few that I noted where they were heavily backlit. The wb seemed off (not surprising) and they could have benefitted from some fill, either from a flash or acouple of reflectors.

The extra light would have fixed the wb issue, otherwise they needed to be metered off the models' face, and wb adjusted for shade.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby JordanP on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:06 pm

I'd be interested depending on when it is.

Thanks for organising Gerard
Craig
JordanP

Postby ajo43 on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:19 pm

Hi Gerard

I'm certainly not a pro either but I had a couple of general comments on the shots (I didn't realise you were the photographer):

- WB looks a bit inconsistent. This is probably not always such a bad thing but in some of the shots I think the models looked a bit too pale/blue for my taste
- The backgrounds were distracting. In several shots I thought that the background (eg a wall or a person walking by) distracted attention from the model. Might be better to open the aperture right up and move the model away from the background so that it is out of focus. Or alternatively select a really neutral background that doesnt distract from the model or complements the model. This is all easier said than done as portrait photography is one of the hardest things to get right.

I hope this doesn't discourage you. There were some great shots amongst them.

I"m looking forward to what you guys can do. I think it is a great idea to set up a shoot.
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

My choice of Pics......

Postby Gerard on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:30 pm

Folks I try to get as many shots and as looks as possible - after a shoot I normally hand the portable Hard Drive over to my sister who does the sorting, the Cd's back to the girls and uploads to the site. Generally I do not even see the pictures until they are online.
I recently had to print 10-12 pics to get graded for the Brisbane Camera Group, picking the ones I thought were the best were a lot different to the ones on the site.
But thank you for your comments I will definitely work on getting more light in there and a little play with the white balance, last time I played with WB was on http://www.marieka.jessellemodels.com and pushed the colour of her skin orange, I was very disappointed with the photos. The little screen on the back of the D70 almost tells you sweet FA. What is the best way of getting the WB right out on a shoot? and I have to begin playing a lot more with apertures.

Please everyone do keep checking the site, actually I will keep you heads up with who is new and the more feedback I get the better photographer I will become.
Ta Gerard
Gerard

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:38 pm

Gerard
They are good poses. Posing is a difficult craft. I think the images are very good, even if there are a few colour balance issues. Many photographers have problems getting creative poses from models and for those who have not done this kind of work.....get ready for some compositional frustration.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Kris on Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:14 pm

Once I can get my decent portrait lens and sb800, id love to do this!
Kris

Postby Gerard on Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:31 pm

Kris wrote:Once I can get my decent portrait lens and sb800, id love to do this!

Kris what lens are you playing with at the moment?
i think every one of these pics were with a 18-70 4.6 and no SB800

I have told some of my models I am a lazy photographer that I will not tell them what to do - I just want to catch them natural (but will generally give them ideas along the way) I am normally the biggest idiot on a shoot making them laugh - throw lens hoods at them (falling short of course) and capturing that "What was that for!!!" look when they look up is always a classic.

If you are in Brisbane get onto Brisbane Photography - http://www.brisbamephotography.com/forum this will give you a whole range of theme shoots to go to with models
Gerard
Gerard

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:59 pm

Kris wrote:Once I can get my decent portrait lens and sb800, id love to do this!

Kris,
"the bridge is too far" Or "the bridge is not too far"
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Gerard on Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:29 pm

Kris reflectors are your key
Gerard

Postby Dargan on Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 pm

This is good value Gerard and shows that we Brisbanites have some tricks up our sleeves. I must admit to a lot of envy for the Sydney members as they have a lot of D70 members close and available, especially the patron Birddog.

I think I would have to ask permission on this one from the spouse (she still thinks its a Kodak and doesn't understand what the fuss is about) but I would see this as a creative learning experience. Getting an experienced hand in on the shoot would be a great bonus. I know a guy from Griffith who is very expert even though still in film and does his own darkroom stuff and he would be sure to come. There are others in the BCG group who do this as well. Lets think about this when I get back from the Xmas meet. That meeting at Breakfast Creek Hotem sounds like just the place to Plan this.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Gerard on Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:35 pm

meeting at breckie creek hotl sounds great should we think about planning a date?
Gerard
Gerard

Postby JordanP on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:42 pm

How is Feb '05 looking for people?
Craig
JordanP

Postby Onyx on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:33 pm

I wanna come if possible. I have a big number of freq. flyer points I'll look into how to claim... Settle on a location so I could look into cheap cheap accom nearby. :)
Onyx

Postby Kris on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:52 pm

Well, i'm just waiting for the price of the 50mm f1.4D to be super ;) once thats done, ill grab it.

At the moment, Im only using the kit lens.

But this sounds like a great idea, if they dont mind a few amatuers having a go?
Kris

Postby Gerard on Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:33 pm

Kris
I will never be a pro and the kit lens for the moment will do you just fine
You will be more than welcome to come along :)
We just all need to work out a date for a meeting and a subsequent shoot
Gerard
Gerard

Postby Onyx on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:48 pm

So what's happening? JordanP suggested Feb 05 - does that work for everyone?
Onyx

Feb 05

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:20 am

Sorry, I'll be in New Zealand between January 20 and February 10, otherwise I'd be a definite.
I'll catch the next one. :)
the foto fanatic

Postby JordanP on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:34 am

Lets make it in the latter half of Feb - hows Sat 19th of Feb sound?
Craig
JordanP

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:44 am

Because we generally shoot on Saturday - Jesselle would prefer it to be a sunday
Ta Gerard
Gerard

Postby JordanP on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:54 am

Then how does the 20th sit with people?
Craig
JordanP

Postby MHD on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:59 am

Hmm... we might see some pictures for the comp come out of this...

There is a slim chance I might be in it... would have to see what money is like...

Can we use the images we take for our portfolios?
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby JordanP on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:01 am

I'd expect so :?:
Craig
JordanP

Postby xerubus on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:21 am

20th sounds good to me.
xerubus

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:53 pm

of course
the aim of taking the images would be to expand your portfolios
Gerard
:)
Gerard

Feb 20

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:03 pm

Yep, can do.
the foto fanatic

Postby xerubus on Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:43 pm

any further update on this.... ?
xerubus

Postby Gerard on Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:42 am

so sorry - was going to wait for a meeting at the breckie creek to discuss moreso
have a happy xmas
Gerard
Gerard

Model shoot

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:04 pm

I went to the shoot organised by Brisbane Camera Group last Sunday. Gerard was there with some Jesselle models, and it was a monster turnout with 90-100 photogs (so I'm told) present.

It was a very hot, in fact sweltering, Brisbane day and the models are to be congratulated for their patience and good humour. They had to cope also with costumes, props, and a whole bunch of camera nuts.

In fact, IMHO there were to many photogs there - it seemed that all the models were surrounded at all times by 8-10 photographers, and while there was some attempt at doing things in an orderly fachion, I was disappointed at the lack of courtesy shown by some photographers to the models and to each other. I lost count of how many times I had a shot just interrupted by someone who did not take the trouble to see who was shooting. I have absolutely no criticism of the models, only of those selfish photographers.

So, if we were to arrange something similar, (which I would support) we would need to limit numbers or at least have a maximum photog/model ratio. I think there needs also to be someone with each model who could control the photographers and make sure everyone gets a fair shake - especially the models.

I don't know what Gerard's thoughts are on this - maybe he (or anyone else) would care to comment?
the foto fanatic

Postby xerubus on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 pm

i agree completely with trevor on this.... it needs to be organised and only open to a number of photogs.... first in best dressed....
xerubus

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:11 pm

100 photographers jostling for a shot at the model!!!!! Pass.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Next

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast