XMAS Meet report for Brisbane members

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

XMAS Meet report for Brisbane members

Postby Dargan on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:19 am

My brother and I arrived at Hurstville in pouring rain and late due to the delays in traffic along Cantebury Rd. Brisbanites should be grateful for their relatively easy traffic conditions. After a few false starts we located Heritage Seafood Restaurant and were directed upstairs at 7.30pm to the top floor which our group had taken over.

We felt straight at home immediately as everyone paused and welcomed us. Gary Stark was unmistakeable and Birddog (Thanh) was hovering around a central table handing out nametags, drinks and welcomes. I soon had a Crown in hand and was deep in conversation with Birddog and introduced to Mr Poon. My brother Peter (nametag ‘friend of Dargan’, got a few quizzical glances until we established his sibling relationship) had piked out on wearing the D70 shirt but was at least in black and into a conversation in a short time.

Gary called everyone to order and we made our way to the tables. There were three large circular tables, one with Thanhs’ children and friends and the other two with D70 members and their partners. A fourth table looked after the drinks and other goodies to be handed to the attendees.

Gary welcomed everyone and gave some background to the growth of the forum. For those who didn’t know the origins of the group, Gary explained he put a post on dpReview and Nikonians to see if there was any interest and the replies convinced him to build up the site. The rest is history and you are in it. The congenial non threatening nature of the forum was emphasised. Gary introduced Birddog and Mr Poon who had flown from HK just for the dinner.

Birddog made a few comments that could be summarised as eat, drink and be merry. I was on to my second beer at this stage and heartily agreed. I was sitting between MattK and Joet and entering into some great discussions with both.

The soup arrived which was the first of many courses, this was seriously good food. Highlights on our table were a large lobster and a full sized barrumundi, but honestly I lost track of the number of courses. Birddog was on our table and passing requests and orders to the restaurant staff as everyone was properly attended to, his lovely wife Tranh beside him..

Mr Poon was properly introduced and handed a present to everyone, a Mercedes Benz motif watch and received a round of applause. (You can see it elsewhere on the forum where gstark (Gary) has photographed it). Gary soon after stood to make a presentation to third place in the competition to MattK (1 Gb card) after a few more courses the second prize of a Vosonic storage unit was presented, a few more courses and Gary was up again to present Birddog with (I kid you not) the biggest dagger I have ever seen (some might call it a sword, you can view it elsewhere on the forum where MattK took a quick shot of it). I’m not sure of the significance of this but it was very impressive, and as I was into my third Crown at this stage Gary might fill in members on this point. Birddog also got a plaque with two cannon shells mounted (spent ones) on a base and his name and our appreciation to him as patron recorded. Deafening applause followed by more courses and conversation.

Finally Gary gets up (a small digression here to describe Gary. Imagine a Harley rider who has just alighted with a pony tail and a broad beaming smile just over 180cm. Imposing, charming, friendly and broadcasting sympatico, he clearly wanted to be where he was at that moment) with the sealed envelope and a hush descends while we think of a drum roll.

Yes ….. its MHD, Scott Collis who wins first place in our inaugural challenge. (Apologies to Scott for my comments about the cliffs, I made an early comment on why they were in a water comp, I’m obviously not judge material), he received an Epson printer worth over a thousand dollars due to the munificence of Thanh. Another round of applause to him, another course, more beer (facts are starting to blur from here on) and Gary hands Scott a framed shot of the winning entry and announces all members present get a copy of the print to take home with them.

While this is going on the official photographers are circulating. I noticed Onyx doing a particularly attentive job on our table, both had the SB800 attached. MattK who was sitting next to me passes the comment that the D70 has reawakened his interest in photography and describes it analogously as a finely tuned instrument. MattK has a very interesting job background which I will let him tell you at his liesure. We both lament the fact that GregB could not be at the dinner and comment that we will photograph our respective guitars and extend our favourite thread. (I notice it has had a few more posts).

MattK’s charming wife is a reader, and I do love a reader, so we exchange books and I tell her of 1421, note the significance of 42 hidden there members, which is about the three great Chinese fleets that set sail at that date to map the world. (I have a preference for SF fact based and non-fiction biography and other writing of an historical bent). There is evidence that they landed on the Qld coast and made their way to Gympie to mine gold and other ores.

Time for the group photo which was artfully arranged on the stairwell. You should be able to see the evidence on the forum, I have seen MattK’s shot. Vicaryus ( I think, correct me if I am wrong Gary) had a couple of false starts, but who wouldn’t when taking a photo of a bunch of budding photographers, we all thought of sex and a number of photos were taken.

We all dispersed back upstairs and further discussion, drinks and D70 comments ensued. The highlight (for me at least) was when nnnsic came towards our group with white gloves on (shades of Japanese taxi drivers!) holding an A2 photo by the edges. This was a self-portrait on a raised stool of himself with a mischievous look on his face and on another stool his avatar was placed. He used Genuine Fractals to enlarge it. Readers, I was simply astounded by the depth of detail, the clarity of the print and the professional nature of his self taken shot. (Note to MattK; it was not that neat and in the middle but it sure was ‘neat’). I hope he posts this print for access by forum members. We all gave praise to the work.

All good things must come to an end, and as you know, in the end we know nothing. I had to get up early the next morning for a trip to Moruya so we left around 11.30pm. It was a packed programme, as they say, and a most enjoyable evening. I am not a club person but have felt at home from the start in this family of D70 users. Birddog and Gary spoke of their hopes of an August 2005 meet to acknowledge the first year of the D70 users forum. Start saving now as it will be an event not to be missed and I know Thanh is already thinking of the itinerary. PS; I went to Thanhs home on Monday afternoon, again in pouring rain. The sun is shining as I make my way home to Maroochydore on the flight as I write this, and I didn’t leave Birddogs’ without ordering my 50mm 1.4 Nikkor. I should have it in a few days and will bring it to our first Brisbane meet. Xerebus suggested the Breakfast Creek hotel on an earlier post, where I have to provide him with a Coopers. I will be trying to organise something but realise that Christmas is at the end of next week and might be difficult to arrange. The Brisbane chapter will have a good start though as Thanh has given me a bottle of Moet et Chandon to crack open at our inaugural meeting. Thank you Birddog. Hope all got a sense of the Christmas meet from my scribblings on this post.

All the best of the season to you and make sure you get the reds right in your santa shots.

Dargan
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby bago100 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:39 am

Dargan
An excellent report indeed!
Thank you for taking the time (look at the time 2.19am EDST) to write your report. I felt like I was there except after three crowns, I doubt if I could go anywhere the next day!
A proper meet between now and Christmas might be very hard; after New Year would probably be easier to arrange.
Thank you again for your report
Cheers
Graham
bago100

Re: XMAS Meet report for Brisbane members

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:00 am

Dargan,

Thanx muchlky for this well thought out report of last Friday's dinner. It's a shame that samples of the food couldn't be attached to the post.

Just a couple of minor detail adjustments if I may ...

Dargan wrote:a few more courses and Gary was up again to present Birddog with (I kid you not) the biggest dagger I have ever seen (some might call it a sword, you can view it elsewhere on the forum where MattK took a quick shot of it). I’m not sure of the significance of this but it was very impressive, and as I was into my third Crown at this stage Gary might fill in members on this point.

Birddog is a particularly difficult person to buy for, but we do know that he has a love of militaria, and of wine and champagne. The gifts that we arranged for him combined those loves. There was a case of Cruickshank's wine, and the shells and plaque, kindly constructed and donated by Killakoala - Stsve.

The sabre is a military sabre, but the challenge has been put to Birddog that he needs to learn how to open a bottle of champagne with it; there is a society in France that does exactly that, and rumour has it that he wants to join this gorup of people as well.

Birddog is now on notice that I'll be turning up with a bottle of bubbly in hand this Saturday, and we'll be expecting him to have completed his research, practice and training, and that he'll be able to open a bottle with no problems whatsoever.

:)

Yes ….. its MHD, Scott Collis who wins first place in our inaugural challenge. (Apologies to Scott for my comments about the cliffs, I made an early comment on why they were in a water comp, I’m obviously not judge material), he received an Epson printer worth over a thousand dollars due to the munificence of Thanh. Another round of applause to him, another course, more beer (facts are starting to blur from here on) and Gary hands Scott a framed shot of the winning entry and announces all members present get a copy of the print to take home with them.

This seems to be the point where the three Crowns (or was it for) kicked in, Dargan. :)

Scott certain the first challenge, and everyone present certainly recieved a signed copy of Scott's print to take home.

But the Epson printer was the first prize for the second challenge, which was won by JordanP (Craig). :)

Time for the group photo which was artfully arranged on the stairwell. You should be able to see the evidence on the forum, I have seen MattK’s shot. Vicaryus ( I think, correct me if I am wrong Gary) had a couple of false starts, but who wouldn’t when taking a photo of a bunch of budding photographers, we all thought of sex and a number of photos were taken.

Actually, I think that was Craig being entrusted with the honours of taking the group photo, but I seem to remember that Scott was somewhere nere the front of the pack as well.

Leigh's (nnnnsic) self-portrait has been posted elsewhere in the forum, together with some details of how he went about doing it.

Thanx again for this wonderful post. Can y'all believe that it's just over a week till Christmas?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:54 am

Sometimes I forget that the meet was to celebrate Xmas! Thanks Dargan for the report - I'm sure Brisbanites will have gotten a better sense of what it was like for us being there, and have a benchmark you all could strive for!

My apologies to Peter, I was informed you were bringing along a 'friend' - and wasn't told of a forum name or real name, so I made the nametags "friend of Dargan". :)

Pics to accompany the story here (updated as of 16th Dec):

http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=38
Onyx

Xmas meet

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:39 pm

Thanx for the commentary on the evening, dargan.

Looking forward to our 1st BrisVegas meet at the world-renowned Breakfast Creek Hotel. (It's heritage listed here in Queensland!)

See ya
Trevor
the foto fanatic

Postby Grev on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:21 pm

This seems very nice, I would really want to go to the next big event! :D
Grev

Postby Greg B on Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:44 pm

I have just - rather belatedly - read your report of the evening Dargan.

Nice work.

I would have loved to be there, but unfortunately it wasn't possible. The whole thing sounds great.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast