O'Reilly's rainforest minimeet

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

O'Reilly's rainforest minimeet

Postby Finch on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:20 pm

G'day all,

I'm proposing a minimeet or get-together at O'Reilly's Rainforest Guesthouse in Lamington National Park. After talking to a number of forum members it was suggested to choose a day earlier rather than later, since it gets quite cold up in those mountains.

The best day I could come up with is Sat 27th May and an early start to make use of the best light and before the crowds get there (i.e. 8am, 8.30am or 9am).

I'll be coming up for the day but if anyone wants to camp or stay at the Guesthouse, they can make a weekend of it.

For anyone who doesn't know my background, I used to live at O'Reilly's for 5 years and spent my time between taking guests on guided walks, photography and helping nature documentary makers. I still work on a casual basis at Binna Burra Lodge (on the other side of the park) where I do guiding, birdwatching trips and now run 'nature photography week' each three months. In other words, I know the place fairly well.

For those interested in coming along for the day, there is a BBQ there but will be pounced on by the 'weekend warriors' so maybe bring a packed lunch.

Lifts can be organised from Brisbane and possibly Sunshine Coast if needed.

Anyone interested? Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

Michael

Edit : I'm now going to be camping so if anyone can't make it on Saturday, there will be a few of us there on Sunday as well. Feel free to come up for the day and join us.
Last edited by Finch on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finch

Postby big pix on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:28 pm

you don't have to ask me twice........ , but as I live in Benowa I will pass on the freezing cold nights camping.........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby thaddeus on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:02 pm

I've read some books on the Stinson and would love to see the site, especially with someone well-versed in the area. So I am thinking of joining in. Is there room to land a helicopter at the guesthouse? If so, who would I need to ask for permission? I'm happy to stay there overnight, etc. Thanks
thaddeus

Postby big pix on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:05 pm

thaddeus wrote:I've read some books on the Stinson and would love to see the site, especially with someone well-versed in the area. So I am thinking of joining in. Is there room to land a helicopter at the guesthouse? If so, who would I need to ask for permission? I'm happy to stay there overnight, etc. Thanks

The local air sea rescue is not far from me if they will let you land there, I can pick you up.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby Finch on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:21 pm

thaddeus wrote:I've read some books on the Stinson and would love to see the site, especially with someone well-versed in the area. So I am thinking of joining in. Is there room to land a helicopter at the guesthouse? If so, who would I need to ask for permission? I'm happy to stay there overnight, etc. Thanks

Yes, there's a helipad on O'Reilly's land for those with a access to a helicopter...... (yes, you would need permission from O'Reilly's Guesthouse).

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby NikonUser on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:36 pm

*sigh* Don't suppose you'd do the same thing somewhere in Melbourne would you? :)
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby TonyH on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 pm

I'm there..... sign me up!!

Sounds like too good an opportunity to pass on.

And that's from a person who doesn't rate nature photography at the top of the list :D

Cheers

Tony
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Oneputt on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:42 pm

I am certainly in depending on dates and I would camp overnigh.t
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby big pix on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Oneputt wrote:I am certainly in depending on dates and I would camp overnigh.t

John ....... my backyard is free and a lot more comfortable.......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby Slider on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:54 pm

I'm in for sure :D Should be a great day Michael. I'll probably end up bringing a few of the SSC contingent and camping o'night. Nice bottle of red around a nice warm fire is starting to sound pretty good 8)
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby Zeeke on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm in if i can get a lift... ill supply some :P :P :P :P :P If you know what I mean... I know Mark wont refuse a drop

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby big pix on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:08 pm

Slider wrote:I'm in for sure :D Should be a great day Michael. I'll probably end up bringing a few of the SSC contingent and camping o'night. Nice bottle of red around a nice warm fire is starting to sound pretty good 8)

my backyard could end up crowed..........
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 pm

I'd love to do it, but that date is out for me - I'm attending a Greek wedding (in Greece!) and not back until 29 May.

If the date changes, let me know. If not, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Oneputt on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 pm

I have just realised that that particular weekend is out for me as I have an important reunion lined up. So it will have to be next time. :cry:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby boonie on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi DSLR Users,

I'm new to your group as you can tell buy my joined date over there.

I'm also rather new to the DSLR world, have been doing the P&S thing for a bit. have been checking out this forum and you guys seem AOK!!

I 'm thinking abouth this minimeet, Finch, how would you rate the 'Excursion' on a bush hike level type of thing, is it a beginners type of hike, or more a Dakota style of trek, with fuzzy wuzzy angels lugging camera gear to the crash site, or just tea and scons at the top? unless it been raining what would the wild life activity be like that time of morning.

I have been there a couple of times, the drive up duck cr rd is great to stop and make pics of the valley.

Well so many questions, just excited about hopefully joining you guys.
Boonie
boonie

Postby Finch on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:56 pm

Sounds like a few interested souls already - I might even end up camping overnight myself.

Boonie - Welcome to the forum. No, we aren't going to the Stinson crash site as that is a 40+km trek from the guesthouse in some very rugged terrain. We will start at the guesthouse itself to take some pics of King Parrots, Crimson Rosellas, Satin Bowerbirds etc and then its upto the group as to where they would like to go (rainforest walk/waterfall shots/macro etc, etc).

Re. Duck Ck Rd, as long as there are a few 4WDs then we can pile in and I can show some magic, out of the way spots for scenery/landscape shots.

It'll be like old times for me, seeing my old home and workplace and a few workmates as well.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Jonas on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:38 am

I'm very interested. I've been waiting for a M&G close to the Goldie so I can intro myself and ask the hundreds of beginner questions I have bottled up.

Not so keen on the bird watching - mainly due to the limitations of my 70-300 Sigma, but I'm happy to explore the trails and waterfalls.
Nikon D70s, Nikkor 18-70, Sigma 70-300DG APO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasphoto/
Jonas

Postby big pix on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:42 am

Jonas wrote:I'm very interested. I've been waiting for a M&G close to the Goldie so I can intro myself and ask the hundreds of beginner questions I have bottled up.

Not so keen on the bird watching - mainly due to the limitations of my 70-300 Sigma, but I'm happy to explore the trails and waterfalls.

I think that you will find the 70-300 OK for birds at this meet as they are quite close......... look foward to meeting you
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby TonyH on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, the 27th of May is the date of the Taekwondo Championships I have to attend on the coast....... Can't get out of it too many students are entered.

I'm gutted!

Tony
TonyH

Postby Finch on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:09 pm

TonyH wrote:Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, the 27th of May is the date of the Taekwondo Championships I have to attend on the coast....... Can't get out of it too many students are entered.

I'm gutted!

Tony : Sorry you can't make it to the O'Reilly's minimeet. I have toyed with changing dates to accommodate people like yourself and John (Oneputt) but then others can't make those dates.

Best if we leave date as is and I'm sure there will be another O'Reilly's meet down the track.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby TonyH on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:12 pm

If people are staying up there camping, I may be able to come up for breakfast on the Sunday.

Changing dates is not the way to go as nothing will ever happen. :(

Cheers

Tony
TonyH

Postby JordanP on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Extremely keen here! Date sounds good, venue great, and excellent company. I'm also likely to be one of the campers. Thanks so much for setting this up Finch :)
Craig
JordanP

Postby Finch on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:32 pm

JordanP wrote:Extremely keen here! Date sounds good, venue great, and excellent company. I'm also likely to be one of the campers. Thanks so much for setting this up Finch :)

Craig : You are more than welcome. I absolutely adore Lamington National Park and am more than happy to share any knowledge of this place with anyone who is interested

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Hey Finch - great venue :) Not sure if Damian & I can make it though - as you know, your days off are our days on....... so will be checking out the possibility of hols for that week. Swapping shifts for 2 gets a bit messy :(

Will let you know how we go

Rel & Damo
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Finch on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:38 pm

Narelle,

I sure as heck hope you and Damian can make it as it will be a great weekend. Would love to see you there.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby neroli on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:12 pm

Michael - sounds like a fantastic weekend, thanks for organising this. Barring major obstacles I'm definitely keen.

Rel - you and Damo have to organise some leave... wouldn't be the same without you guys :D :D :D

Judy
neroli

Postby Slider on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:40 pm

big pix wrote:
Slider wrote:I'm in for sure :D Should be a great day Michael. I'll probably end up bringing a few of the SSC contingent and camping o'night. Nice bottle of red around a nice warm fire is starting to sound pretty good 8)

my backyard could end up crowed..........

Thanks for the offer Bernie, but I'll be camping up the top to make the most of the late afternoon and early morning light, not to mention the big log fire. :D And if memory serves me correctly the birds go nuts first up in the morning up there.
Cheers

Slider

Postby big pix on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Slider wrote:, but I'll be camping up the top to make the most of the late afternoon and early morning light, not to mention the big log fire. :D And if memory serves me correctly the birds go nuts first up in the morning up there.

..... I might have to clean out the 4WD so I can sleep in the back and join all of you, along with warm underwear.......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 am

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGG
Just got a mental image of Bernie in longjohns !!!!!!!!
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

blacknstormy

Postby big pix on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:53 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: ...... you can be sooooooo........ :P :P :P :P
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:58 pm

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

But you should really make sure that that back flap is done up Bernie ;) The draft can be really quite nasty :twisted: :roll: (as in the natural draft coming INTO the longjohns !!!! ;) )

blacknstormy

Postby Geoff M on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi Guys

Never been to O'Reillys or a minimeet. Have been hoping to make a trip out there sometime soon so I would love to come along and meet you all. I would just come up for Saturday and can offer a lift to anyone coming from SE Brisbane. I also have a 4WD which we can make use of if required.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the 27th.

Geoff
Geoff M

Postby Finch on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi Geoff,

Lamington National Park (O'Reilly's Rainforest Guesthouse) is a magical place with lots of photography subjects. You are more than welcome to come along for the Saturday and look forward to seeing you up there.

Keep an eye on this thread and we will organise a meeting place and time closer to the day.

Thanks for offering anyone a lift from Brisbane

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Big Red on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:49 pm

i'm keen but don't know if i have anything else organised ... too many things happening at once :oops:
Big Red

Postby big pix on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:43 pm

blacknstormy wrote::lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

But you should really make sure that that back flap is done up Bernie ;) The draft can be really quite nasty :twisted: :roll: (as in the natural draft coming INTO the longjohns !!!! ;) )

...... just no respect...... over the knee with you little girl, I will have my wooden kitchen spoon with me........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby Finch on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:46 pm

big pix wrote:[...... just no respect...... over the knee with you little girl, I will have my wooden kitchen spoon with me........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, now Bernie, enough of that.........

Damian will be after you!!!!!

Look forward to seeing you at O'Reilly's

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Manta on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Been away and missed this thread, though Mike had emailed me prior with his thoughts of organising something.

Unfortunately, I'm crewing in a sailing race all that weekend (overnighter) so pending breakages, weather problems or cancellations, I'll have to give O'Reilly's a miss this time.

Can't complain, it wasn't that long ago that Finch and I were up that way and got some great shots.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Big Red on Thu May 04, 2006 10:52 pm

looks like i have to work on this weekend now ... do phones work up there ?
[if phones work then the pager should also]
if no calls come in i might be able to come up for a bit but may have to take off again at short notice.
Big Red

Postby Nicole on Thu May 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Just found out today that I'll be in Brisbane for work around this time. It will definitely be a Friday. At this stage it looks like it will be Fri 26th so I might be able to make this. 8)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Finch on Fri May 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Nicole wrote:Just found out today that I'll be in Brisbane for work around this time. It will definitely be a Friday. At this stage it looks like it will be Fri 26th so I might be able to make this. 8)

Nicole - hope you can make it. Would be good to meet you.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby mark on Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi Michael,

I would love to come along.
My first meet and so close to home, how lucky am I?
mark

Postby blacknstormy on Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Hey Michael :)
Checked the roster, and there is no way in hell we can get the weekend off :( Oh well, can't wait to see the photos !!!!
Have fun everyone
Hugs
Rel & Damian

blacknstormy

Postby Finch on Sun May 07, 2006 3:54 pm

mark wrote:Hi Michael,

I would love to come along.
My first meet and so close to home, how lucky am I?

Look forward to meeting you, Mark

Keep an eye on this thread and I'll keep everyone updated

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Finch on Sun May 07, 2006 3:55 pm

blacknstormy wrote:Hey Michael :)
Checked the roster, and there is no way in hell we can get the weekend off :( Oh well, can't wait to see the photos !!!!
Have fun everyone
Hugs
Rel & Damian

Thanks Narelle - sorry you guys can't make it. Maybe next time, eh?

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Finch on Wed May 10, 2006 8:39 pm

To anyone who is coming along to the O'Reilly's minimeet and wants to camp, you will need to make a booking soon (or campsite places may fill).

Bookings can be made by contacting the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service. The campsite is called the Green Mountains section of Lamington National Park.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Finch on Wed May 17, 2006 6:33 pm

To anyone planning to come along to the O'Reilly's minimeet, we are meeting on Saturday morning (27th May) at 8am at the bird feeding area. For those that haven't been there before, it is just up from the main car park on the right hand side (back from the Guesthouse itself).

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Bob G on Wed May 17, 2006 6:39 pm

Finch

If I came up with my wife to stay maybe Friday and Saturday nights at O'Rielly's Guest House - would that be very far from the others who might be camping out

Bob G
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby Finch on Wed May 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi Bob,

O'Reilly's Guesthouse is just a few hundred metres from where we are camping. As I mentioned in my last post, the meeting point is just below the Guesthouse front entrance.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby Spooky on Fri May 19, 2006 9:50 pm

Sorry guys, cricket for me on Saturdays at the moment. Have fun.
Spooky

Postby Slider on Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 am

While Michael is busy organising out itinery I've offered to look at participants as we need to work out seating arrangements for some of the 4x4 access activities.

So..

So far the following people have indicated interest and as far as I know have not pulled out. Would you be kind enough to update your status and advise if you have a 4x4 and would be happy to take a passenger or 2.

Finch - Definate
Big Pix - Definate (please bring the jeep :-) )
Thaddeus - Pending landing approval?
Zeeke - ?
Boonie - ?
Jonas - ?
JordanP - ?
Neroli - ?
GeoffM - ?
Big Red - Definate / Maybe (just turn the phone off :twisted: )
Nicole - ?
Mark - ?
BobG and Mrs BobG - Definate ?
Slider - Definate

And if your still undecided this may help http://www.oreillys.com.au
Cheers

Slider

Next

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast