Hosting questions

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Hosting questions

Postby sunnylass on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:26 am

Its dawned on me that I'm going to need more webspace, and I have absolutely no idea where to look, who to contact etc.

Rather than ring every Joe Bloggs around, I thought I would ask on here first.
sunnylass

Postby radar on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:36 am

Not sure what your requirements are but the site here is hosted at Dreamhost. I also use them for my site and they have heaps of features to make use of.

http://www.dreamhost.com

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby sunnylass on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:49 am

Thank you for that Andre, I will definitely check them out.

I've made do with the 10mb allocated with my connection, but the more work I'm getting, the quicker I've realised that I have no room left!
sunnylass

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:49 am

What Andre said.

Dreamhost are very feature-rich and thus very goods value, and with each account you also get a free domain name registration.

You can also use Scott's discount code so that your first year of hosting costs you all of .... US$20.

It's not all beer and pretzels at DH though, dynamic sites, such as this one, can suffer some issues due to limitations that they may put on your memory and resource utilisation.

But for static sites, the available features, bandwidth and storage allownaces are difficult to beat.

I'd rate my satisfaction level with them at about 70%, which, for a hosting company, I think would be pretty high.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jamesw on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:23 pm

i use mdwebhosting for all of my clients and my own personal website + forums

http://www.mdwebhosting.com.au

admittedly the forums are not the busiest, hit about 100-500 posts a day and 160 unique visits per day, but i have never had an issue with them at all.

i pay 9.90 p/month and get 2500mb storage, unlim bandwidth, subdomains, etc. they use a cpanel interface for your settings etc, so you have a reasonable degree of customisation, they also have lots of scripts all ready there for you to put on.

another cool feature is they let you piggy back multiple domains off the same hosting plan.

for example, i initially had my hosting setup for jamesdwade.com. because i am so busy, i really havent got the page setup (it's just a placeholder with some basic information, contact details, website portfolio etc). there is 2.5gig of storage and the bandwidth use is pretty low... but i am able to use the jamesdwade.com hosting to also host my clothing website at http://www.dishonourclothing.com. it means that i only pay the one hosting fee but have two domains off the back of that plan. it means its cheaper and i actually use some of the space and bandwidth.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast