calibrating monitor

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

calibrating monitor

Postby Spooky on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:11 pm

Hello

Just wondering if anyone had monitor calibration software and or hardware they were willing to lend (maybe for a bottle of wine or something in appreciation :lol: )

Anyway seems silly for everyone to own this sort of stuff when you only need it twice a year or so.

If noone has it perhaps if people are interested we could get together and buy something and share it around.

What are peoples thoughts?

Brett
Spooky

Postby gecko on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi Spooky

Group ownership is a good idea....
I would be willing to be involved
Alternatively, if someone owns one already and is willing to share it around, they could quickly build up a fine collection of wines!

Cheers
Gerard
gecko

Re: calibrating monitor

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:07 pm

Spooky wrote:Hello

Just wondering if anyone had monitor calibration software and or hardware they were willing to lend (maybe for a bottle of wine or something in appreciation :lol: )

Anyway seems silly for everyone to own this sort of stuff when you only need it twice a year or so.

If noone has it perhaps if people are interested we could get together and buy something and share it around.

Brett

Hi Spooky,
I have a Spyder II (From MCWB) and can loan to you, problem is: you have to pay shipping in both ways and PM MCWB, let him know that you want to borrow.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Spooky on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:30 am

Birdy

Thanks for the offer. If we can't get something organised up here I may take you up on it.

Cheers
Spooky

Postby Manta on Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:09 pm

Good idea Brett.
I know the Sydney troops have had a share system going for a few months now and it seems feasible that we could do the same up here. I'd be interested in putting some dollars towards it and I'm sure others would get on board.
Although I may now be doubtful for the zoo trip, that may be a good opportunity to put the feelers out amongst the local fraternity. Please keep me in mind. :)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Atorie on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:23 am

Hi Guys, Just saw this thread.. I have a Syper2Pro Studio which I can bring along to a mini-meet at some stage... It's pricey bit of hardware but a necessity in my line of work.

Do we have any plans for the next meet.. as a newbe here i'm keen to meet up to compare gear and technique.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Troppo on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:08 am

Hi all, yep a share system is a great idea and you can count me in.
Troppo
Troppo

Re: calibrating monitor

Postby neroli on Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:13 pm

Spooky wrote:Hello

Brett

Hi everyone

I'd be interested in contributing also, if this idea is still current.

neroli
neroli

Postby shockadelica- on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:00 am

yep from here 2
shockadelica-

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:40 am

shockadelica- wrote:yep from here 2

Are you going to fly to Bris. for a meet with the gang upthere? :roll:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Just rejuvenating this post. My monitor is going from bad to worse and I'm sick of trying to correct it with that rascally Adobe Gamma rubbish that's part of Windows XP.

A couple of questions...

1) Since this thread started, has anyone in the Brisbane region bought a Spyder or similar colour calibration device that they would be willing to lend a hapless photographer who is now too scared to post any images for fear of remarks like "Why is your sky yellow??"

2) Would said benefactor be prepared to spend a short period of time in Paradise (Alexandra Hills) in order to walk a hapless photographer through the process of calibrating a monitor?

and finally,
3) Would said benefactor be prepared to accept cash or alcohol as payment for services??
Last edited by Manta on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Bob G on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:34 pm

Did this thread go anywhere towards achieving a result?

I would also like to callibrate my monitor - can't find anyone on the coast with the gear and didn't want to cough up for it alone

Please let me know if you can help?

Bob G
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby CraigVTR on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi guys
Would love to get in on group buy for a callibration thingy :) , my monitor seems pretty good at the moment, but you never know. What sort of money do these things cost?

Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:47 pm

CraigVTR wrote:Hi guys
Would love to get in on group buy for a callibration thingy :) , my monitor seems pretty good at the moment, but you never know. What sort of money do these things cost?

Craig

It's about AUD 377 for the Gretag Macbeth delivered from the USA.

I found the same one in Australia for AUD 385 not including delivery

Gretag Macbeth Eye One
huynhie

Postby Matt. K on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 pm

While you guys are calibrating your monitors I'll be monitoring my calibrator. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Bob G on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:50 pm

I'd be a starter craig if we could get about say 10 big time investors willing to participate between say the sunny coast and brisbane

Bob G
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby big pix on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 pm

huynhie wrote:

Craig

Gretag Macbeth Eye One

having done a lot of research on the best monitor calibrator Gretag Macbeth are the best to get. The calibrator you have located is the cheapest in the Eye One range. I have found the Eye 0ne Photo which also makes profiles for your printer a very good unit to have. The soft ware for this unit can be fined tuned with lots of ajustment, using the software, for any profile on your system, and also makes camera profiles.......... which I am yet to do. This unit is not cheap, but is very good and easy to use..........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:18 pm

big pix wrote:
huynhie wrote:

Craig

Gretag Macbeth Eye One

having done a lot of research on the best monitor calibrator Gretag Macbeth are the best to get. The calibrator you have located is the cheapest in the Eye One range. I have found the Eye 0ne Photo which also makes profiles for your printer a very good unit to have. The soft ware for this unit can be fined tuned with lots of ajustment, using the software, for any profile on your system, and also makes camera profiles.......... which I am yet to do. This unit is not cheap, but is very good and easy to use..........

The Gretag Macbeths is also pricey if you want more than just a monitor callibrator.
huynhie

Postby big pix on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:32 pm

The Gretag Macbeths is also pricey if you want more than just a monitor callibrator.[/quote]

yes it is ....... but if you are doing your own prints it is a must as you will only do them once if your set up is correct....... just having your monitor correct is only a small part of the overall. If your monitor is older than 3-4 years do not waste your money on a callibrator as you will never get it right..........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby hdj80 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:58 pm

I know its not a calibrator per se but Digilab supply a print montage and the TIFF file used for the print so you can make some adjustments to get your colours right for their printing process. It was free when I asked them about calibration files for their printing process.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Craig
Brisvegas
KM 7D
hdj80

Postby Atorie on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm selling my ColorVision Syper2Pro - professional grade monitor calibration hardware. A few of you have seen and used it at previous meets. see the members for sale section.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast