For D70 users in the Brisbane area Photography Group meeting

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

For D70 users in the Brisbane area Photography Group meeting

Postby Dargan on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:51 pm

The Brisbane Camera Club (Digital Group) meets on the first
Monday of every month at the Kelvin Grove State School at
7.15pm. About 30 to 40 people attend most meets. Seems to
be someone new every month. The meet has become quite
popular. There are brief talks each night which include a
how to on Photoshop. There are regular displays of other
peoples photography, and sometimes people bring along their
latest aquisition for a show and tell. They take a break
about 9pm for a tea / coffee and biscuit for $2.00. The
night finishes about 10.15pm.

The next BCG Digital Sub Group meeting is on Monday November 1st at the Kelvin Grove Primary School. The rooms will be open by 6.45 and the meeting will commence by 7.30.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby xerubus on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up... will see what I can arrange for the next meet
xerubus

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm

Are there many D70 users?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Dargan on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:10 pm

Don't know yet Birddog. Will report back. This info came from an Adobe intro session for a new product at my work. Crossed paths with a Canon D1 owner who supports himself with photography through Uni. I am sure there will be a few D70's there and will make sure the forum name is spread for potential users.
Last edited by Dargan on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Matt. K on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:13 pm

Dargon
Where's Brisbane?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:24 pm

Matt. K wrote:Dargon
Where's Brisbane?

It's about a third of the way down the east coast :lol:

Nowhere near the middle.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby xerubus on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:27 pm

It's quite easy to find... just ask anyone where the greatest place in australia is, and they'll point you straight to brisbane, queensland....

:D
xerubus

Postby Matt. K on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:32 pm

Oh yeah. Think I drove up there once. Could'nt find a decent cup of coffee so I drove home the same day.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Dargan on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:32 pm

Brisbane is actually 80K south of the best place in Australia. Which is of course the Sunshine Coast. I work in the most livable capital city, as opposed to the most traffic bound and the wettest further south of here. The only problem with the Coast is the Mexicans who continue to come in droves. :idea: IDEA For the newly formed camera competition, if we do a Macca, Where/Why do I live where I live, this place would have to win hands down. My next assignment a view from Alex Heads back to Maroochydore, and various water views.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Matt. K on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:34 pm

Mexicans! Do they really wave their hats?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby xerubus on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:35 pm

I have to agree that the Sunshine Coast is a great place...

hmmmm.... i know i have a photo here of Noosa in the early hours... will dig it out and post it in the critique section... :)
xerubus

Postby bago100 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:44 pm

Thanks Dargan for the meeting info

I might be able to attend - no promises at this stage though.

Agreed, the Sunshine Coast has to be the best place to be after Brisbane that is, followed by the Gold Coast and then Lismore! :D

Wish I bought a house on the Sunshine Coast 3 years ago. They were a song back then, and right near the beach too!

Ecellent lifestyle up there and if you don't smoke, a healthy one too!

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Raydar on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:47 pm

I must admit!!!!

I love Brisy :roll:
Just a big country town, very friendly people :D

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

BCG and D70

Postby bigfix on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Hi Guys
Just discovered this forum, I have been haunting the DPreview/D70 forum for ages.

Anyway noticed you are talking about BCG.
I have been a few times recently and John Lomas the organiser does a pretty good job and most of the time you will learn something.

Many years ago (late 80's) I used to be a BCG member when I did a lot of B&W 35mm stuff. Since getting my D70 in March 2004 I thought I would get inspired all over again with digital.

Anyway I was pretty excited about my D70 and took it along to a BCG meeting for "show and tell". It kinda went over like a zepplin, turns out they are 99% Canon users. It was strange and I had a good laugh about myself afterwards. I must of seemed pretty naive and out of place showing the great canon users a mere Nikon. :-) lol

That was several months ago and I guess that may have changed since then.
But don't get me wrong, it is pretty friendly and good.
bigfix

Postby Raydar on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:57 pm

LOL oop’s

Mate did you show them the speed of the flash sink??????? :shock:
That would of gone over well :lol:

Cheers
Ray
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Re: BCG and D70

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:37 pm

bigfix wrote:Hi Guys
Just discovered this forum, I have been haunting the DPreview/D70 forum for ages.

Anyway noticed you are talking about BCG.
I have been a few times recently and John Lomas the organiser does a pretty good job and most of the time you will learn something.

Many years ago (late 80's) I used to be a BCG member when I did a lot of B&W 35mm stuff. Since getting my D70 in March 2004 I thought I would get inspired all over again with digital.

Anyway I was pretty excited about my D70 and took it along to a BCG meeting for "show and tell". It kinda went over like a zepplin, turns out they are 99% Canon users. It was strange and I had a good laugh about myself afterwards. I must of seemed pretty naive and out of place showing the great canon users a mere Nikon. :-) lol

That was several months ago and I guess that may have changed since then.
But don't get me wrong, it is pretty friendly and good.

Good on ya bigfix!! you dared to wandering among the Canon guys with only your Nikon D70! I believed they all good guys and very friendly otherwise you won't shown up to this D70 Forum, my BIL has a Canon 20D and always want to see how my 3 cam's bodies work, I shot few times with him and swapped gears, they are all goods and nice to put our hands on, but I came back to my Nikon at the end with all my gears, be happy though.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Dargan on Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:12 am

Thanks for the comment Bigfix. I will still venture into lions den though as I have never and I mean ever gone to camera club type meet. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever gone to any club meet period. I will keep camera in car and vet the meet, as I would like to have some contact point especially for post processing info where I am still at sea. See you there if you are, Bigfix, red rose in lapel? This is situation where we need discreet D70 logo with 42 on back of acceptable T shirt Birddog?
PPOK
Dargan

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:43 am

Dargan,
We are launching our "Fashion Polo Shirt of D70Users.com" this morning and we'll have some inhouse models with a catwalk on the stage :lol: :lol:
This is our first production with our logo, they look nice with my eyes but I don't vote in until our members officially see the products, even though this is my ideas and my efforts try to bring this type of fun to the community, but we have to credit them to Gary and Leigh, therefore I leave that honour to Gary, the founder of this forum to have first look at them and crack the MOET to cheer with everyone.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:52 am

Moet?

Did someone say Moet?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Dargan on Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:23 pm

Top stuff! Looking forward to seeing them.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Dargan on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:23 pm

Went to BCG Digital group meet last night. Well attended, about 70 people and a range of ages. Noticed some people from my organisation there which is to be expected. This is a sub group of the main Brisbane Camera Club. Good atmosphere. Schedule was .avi presentation of a model shoot at UQ held earlier for members to music, photos contributed were spliced in. Then another presentation entitled 'Wood, Stone and Flesh', absolutely professional work and extremely artistic, this was professional models of nudes at Tenterfield and I have to say it was just a phenomenal piece of work. Photographer who did it went there two weeks before to check lighting and script the shoot. A very serious effort but indicates the calibre of top end attendee at this meet. A number of other contributed shots for review. A photoshop curves and workflow processing demo, which I found interesting. Someone with a Canon 20D for show and tell, but I didn't get to see it. Older chap having a play with Photoshop to manipuate images (eg; light planes coming out of a windsock) and the issues involved in image manipulation. No overt Canon in your face feeling. In fact sat next to a D70 owner when first arrived, told him of the forum. Hope he joins us as some of his shots were very, very good. I like images with a message or meaning inherent in them and I saw some good evidence there. Having said that there were a range of abilities and camera levels there. Also talked to Canon owner from work who was an accredited Gold Coast Indy photographer, told him (yes amateur me) about trap focusing and how it is a D70 feature. Key point is that it is a friendly forum for Brisbanites until we get our Brisbane D70 chapter going. Don't know if I should turn up in the D70 polo shirt just yet Birddog, come to think of it where am I going to wear it? Does Birddog have a pyjama range?
PPOK
Dargan

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:34 pm

Dargan,
very interesting to read your report of the BCG.
Yes, I agreed all your impression at the BCG same we had here last Saturday and we really enjoyed the company of each member.
If I was you I'll wear the polo with D70Users.com at the next meet of BCG, we're non commercial, non profits organization + non political. We're proud of it cos we're friendly, hospitality and mutually and it's the way we would like this forum to be.
Birddog114
birddog114

BCG

Postby bigfix on Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:23 pm

I knew you would find it friendly and worth while. John Lomas, the guy that co-ordinates the Digital sub group is a pretty good guy and will make you feel welcome.
I'd go more often to BCG but Monday nights I feel lazy and besides South Park is on again!

Dargan wrote:Went to BCG Digital group meet last night. Well attended, about 70 people and a range of ages. Noticed some people from my organisation there which is to be expected. This is a sub group of the main Brisbane Camera Club. Good atmosphere. Schedule was .avi presentation of a model shoot at UQ held earlier for members to music, photos contributed were spliced in. Then another presentation entitled 'Wood, Stone and Flesh', absolutely professional work and extremely artistic, this was professional models of nudes at Tenterfield and I have to say it was just a phenomenal piece of work. Photographer who did it went there two weeks before to check lighting and script the shoot. A very serious effort but indicates the calibre of top end attendee at this meet. A number of other contributed shots for review. A photoshop curves and workflow processing demo, which I found interesting. Someone with a Canon 20D for show and tell, but I didn't get to see it. Older chap having a play with Photoshop to manipuate images (eg; light planes coming out of a windsock) and the issues involved in image manipulation. No overt Canon in your face feeling. In fact sat next to a D70 owner when first arrived, told him of the forum. Hope he joins us as some of his shots were very, very good. I like images with a message or meaning inherent in them and I saw some good evidence there. Having said that there were a range of abilities and camera levels there. Also talked to Canon owner from work who was an accredited Gold Coast Indy photographer, told him (yes amateur me) about trap focusing and how it is a D70 feature. Key point is that it is a friendly forum for Brisbanites until we get our Brisbane D70 chapter going. Don't know if I should turn up in the D70 polo shirt just yet Birddog, come to think of it where am I going to wear it? Does Birddog have a pyjama range?
bigfix

The BCG meeting

Postby Gerard on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:03 pm

Dargan wrote:Went to BCG Digital group meet last night. Well attended, about 70 people and a range of ages. Noticed some people from my organisation there which is to be expected. This is a sub group of the main Brisbane Camera Club. Good atmosphere. Schedule was .avi presentation of a model shoot at UQ held earlier for members to music, photos contributed were spliced in. Then another presentation entitled 'Wood, Stone and Flesh', absolutely professional work and extremely artistic, this was professional models of nudes at Tenterfield and I have to say it was just a phenomenal piece of work. Photographer who did it went there two weeks before to check lighting and script the shoot. A very serious effort but indicates the calibre of top end attendee at this meet. A number of other contributed shots for review. A photoshop curves and workflow processing demo, which I found interesting. Someone with a Canon 20D for show and tell, but I didn't get to see it. Older chap having a play with Photoshop to manipuate images (eg; light planes coming out of a windsock) and the issues involved in image manipulation. No overt Canon in your face feeling. In fact sat next to a D70 owner when first arrived, told him of the forum. Hope he joins us as some of his shots were very, very good.

Dargan I am not sure but I was at that meeting also and am a D70 user, I guess I was a little disappointed by being odd ones out with the D70's. But in a way it presents a challenge will a D70 outperform a 10 or 20D, I guess it is something we need to work on.
Will you be at the meeting this coming week?
I am thinking about showing up for a while anyway
Gerard
Gerard

Re: The BCG meeting

Postby Raydar on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:14 pm

But in a way it presents a challenge will a D70 outperform a 10 or 20D

That would be a yes 8)

Cheers
Ray :P
Raydar

Last Xmas meet of the BCG Digital group

Postby Dargan on Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:43 am

From John Lomas who is the leader of the BCG Digital Group, I include this comment on the last meet for this year this Monday night.

Just a reminder that our last BCG Digital Sub Group meeting for the year is on this coming Monday December 6th at the Kelvin Grove Primary School. It is our Christmas Special meeting and is not to be missed. As usual, the rooms will be open by 6.45 and the meeting will commence by 7.30.

To Gerard and others who might be coming I am not sure if I will be in Brisbane on Monday night due to family obligations (Am off to Sydney this week for the Xmas Dinner and to pick up the Moet for all D70 users in Brisbane when I return (courtesy of our patron Birddog, who I am looking forward to meet), so Number 99 insists that I do family type duty until I leave)

Perhaps with Bago we can set up a meet when I return. I think the BCG group is a good focus though with a lot of friendly and interesting people who seem to have many more than one interest in camera types. I would personally like to see a D70 group as a subset of this as these guys are already organised as to place and times. I think if we opened a bottle of Moet in the BCG group and gave a glass to D70 owners that would make a pretty powerful statement. :D :D :D

I will report back for Brisbane members on my Sydney trip which I have to admit I am eagerly awaiting in an almost ridiculously adolescent way.

Cheers for now and very soon on my return with the champers.
PPOK
Dargan

Kick me i am stupid

Postby Gerard on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:33 am

Moet - the closest definisition is a bottle of wine, I know I am dumb but am i on the right track here???

Dargan - family duties are generally more important than photography duties, because I am not sure what you will do with 40% of the camera when the other half takes 60% of it ....... best look after the family first :D

I look forward to a D70 group as a subset to BCG, I did feel welcomed by BCG - enough to make me join on the night, although in a way after finding out about everyone having 10D's the bag of camera gear stayed securely closed.

It will be good to meet up when you get back.
Gerard

Oh hopefully I will meet anyone else there tomorrow night....
Gerard

BCG

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:55 am

I have been to meetings of this group in the past - about 12 months ago, before I had my D70.
Was thinking of going tomorrow pm - I'll wear my D70Users.com Pro Loop Strap so we can meet up. :lol:
Trevor
the foto fanatic

Cool

Postby Gerard on Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:17 am

Cool Trevor will see you there
I should have a portfolio of work under one arm - need to get graded
Gerard
Gerard

Postby Dargan on Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:28 pm

Good to see two potential attendees. Maybe one of you could do a report back with a paragraph or two. The Canon thing doesn't worry me as I am still on the uphill climb to understand what I have, but I do know from 7 months reading that I made the right choice for my own needs. One little thing I read that I think often leads Canon users to look on their camera as better is the sharpness of their shots out of the camera. This could be true until you realise that the Canon does a bit of extra in camera processing and takes that option away from you the user which the Nikon doesn't (in Raw mode). I think this was on the Nikonians site. In any case both companies products can take photos that will stop you in your tracks in the hands of the right user.

Cheers and I hope to get to meet all of you soon.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:42 pm

BCG meeting - 6 December 2004
I walk away from these meetings dumbfounded by other peoples photography and probably will always be forever.
There were 3 AV displays one was from one of the members who travelled through Cambodia and Vietnam the pictures were excellent if you can get over the headless ducks (He should sell it to tourism Vietnam - I so want to travel there now). Another AV display was of Northern Territory Rocks - not my cup of tea but were good photos and the third was of sand and dunes lovely photography.
A Photo Continental sales rep was there going through scanning and digital imagery - I am surprised that PC released a staff member I always seem to have to wait for ages every time I walk in there. Knowledgable sort of guy, I looked over his shoulder when he was showing someone there a black Canon 300D - Oh I am so glad I have a D70 ick....
Oh and John Lomas is heading into the digital world and tossing up between the D70 and Canon 10D .... with the availability of the D70 that may be the direction he heads - that will surely make a difference when the coordinator of the group shoots D70 and most everyone else shoots 10/20D - oh the irony.
I am sure I will remember more later - but that was most of it
Gerard
Gerard

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:57 pm

Gerard,
So the Canon outnumbered the Nikon users there, isn't it?
Have you met any our D70 folks there? Be proud with our D70 and wear Polo and strap.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:50 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Gerard,
So the Canon outnumbered the Nikon users there, isn't it?
Have you met any our D70 folks there? Be proud with our D70 and wear Polo and strap.

Yep Birddog - I think about 95% of the group shoot 10D
I need to sort out the shirt and Arm strap
Oh what is the largest size in the shirt ???
Ta Gerard
Gerard

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:52 pm

Yep Birddog - I think about 95% of the group shoot 10D
I need to sort out the shirt and Arm strap
Oh what is the largest size in the shirt ???

Size: L/ XL/XXL, colour: white/ Navy Blue/ black
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Dargan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:44 pm

Thanks for that report Gerard. I am very sorry I could not attend.

The AV of 'flesh,stone and wood' that I saw on my visit was incredibly good. I was just astounded by the quality of the work even though the presenter was a professional photographer. That is what these things are about, inspiring each other.

The comment re John Lomas is good, I think he will probably have a host of Canon lenses and that will sway his decision but I know I made the right choice as a digital beginner.

I owe Xerebus a beer so on my return from Sydney I will try to organise a meet of those I know in the Brisbane area.

Michael
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Gerard on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:52 pm

It will be good to put some faces to names looking forward to your return
Gerard
Gerard

Postby wahr42 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:04 pm

Actually the reason I bought a DSLR was due to the advice of a Canon 10D owner, I saw his shots and played with the camera, very nice.

But when I went to the store and tried the D70 over the 300D the decision was an easy one.

But his experience is greater then brand and I think that is what make the difference.

Now he is looking at the 20D, which I must agree does look tempting, apart from the pricetag!
wahr42

Postby wahr42 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:06 pm

oops meant to say also, that I'll have to start going to these meets. Would be great to meet some of you guys.

I've already seen a few D70 owners on Queen St Mall taking pictures.
wahr42

BCG

Postby leigh999 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi all, I am new to D70users.com having been switched on to the site by Gerard. I have been a member at BCG for a year (actually I am now a committee member) and started out with a Sony 707. When I wanted to move up to a DSLR a few members recommended the Canons but noone was overly pushy. I went with the D70 and haven't had the slightest negative comment from anyone.

The club offers a place to share ideas and experience, Canon or Nikon, film or digital. I actually really enjoy chatting to some of the more 'experienced' members, who may still be committed to film, but have a lot to give in terms of 'picture making' pointers. I have been to a few outings with them and there is always a mix of cameras - there was even a firm Olympus devotee at the last portrait shoot.

So tell me about D70Users.com - do you have many female photographers here or do the fairer sex mostly feature on the other side of the camera?
leigh999

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:07 pm

hi leigh999, and welcome to the forum.

there's a handful of female photogs hanging around the forum... but not too many.

enjoy your stay.
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Dargan on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:20 am

Hi Leigh

Welcome to the forum. I never felt imposed on by Canon owners either, in fact I welcome an understanding of their equipment and know a few people with 300D's and other Canon equipment, it just happens that after a lot of reading I went with the D70. I am not fanatical about it. I enjoyed the BCG meet I went to and will go again, it is a very well run group. My problem is living at the Sunshine Coast and with work and family I have to be lucky to get things right to be able to attend.

Hope we can meet at the next BCG digital.
PPOK
Dargan

BCG (Digital) meet

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:17 am

Sorry, I haven't noticed this post before today.

I went to the 6 December meet and caught up with Gerard. There was at least one other D70 shooter there also, but most are Canon aficionados. Gerard's comments about the night are right - some interesting photo stuff to learn about & discuss.

The group is also arranging an outdoor portrait session with models in January. It's meant to be a sort of tutorial on lighting, portrait lenses, posing models etc. It will be in bushland on someone's property, so I think I'll go have a look myself. Happy to meet any others from this forum who are attending. John Lomas has details for those interested - I think there is a small cost for food on the day.
the foto fanatic

Postby Russ on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I probably know a few of you already as I am a member of the Brisbane Camera Group.
I just picked up a D70 today. Might need a few tips on how to use it.
John Lomas did go out and buy a D70. We are starting to geta bit more sanity around the place as the Canons did dominate BCG in the early days but the are now quite a few D70's around.
Cheers,
Russ
Russ

Postby JordanP on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Welcome Russ!

Hey, if your aren't too busy on the 27th Feb join us for a meet - check here for details:

http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=2606

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby Russ on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:10 am

Hi Craig,
I would love to but we have about 40 people coming to lunch that day. I will keep in contact and hopefully can make the next one.
Cheers,
Russ :cry:
Russ

Postby birddog114 on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:14 am

Russ wrote:Hi Craig,
I would love to but we have about 40 people coming to lunch that day. I will keep in contact and hopefully can make the next one.
Cheers,
Russ :cry:

Dargan,
You've told me :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast