Brisbane Camera Group Show-And-Tell!

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Luke Smith on Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Well, after much procrastination we’re having a show-and-tell meeting on the 16th @ BCG.

Basically bring your stuff and any questions you may have, mingle, chat and learn :)

If you have any requests (equipment you want to see or questions you want answered) then add them to this post or PM me and I’ll pass them on :)

http://www.brisbanecameragroup.org.au/

It would be great if the local guys with the sensor cleaning gear from Birddog (Manta?) could do a demo.

The meeting will be at 7:30PM August 16, at the Kelvin Grove State School.

Cheers,

Luke
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:15 am

I'm still unsure if I'll be able to make it but, if I do, I'll certainly bring the gear. Unfortunately I won't be doing an actual sensor clean demonstration - the BCG meeting room is just way too dusty and I wouldn't want anyone exposing a sensor to that environment.

If any D70ers want to take take some cleaning materials home I will have Pec-Pads, some methanol and some of Birddog's high tech ( :lol: ) swab sticks. I recommend folks bring along a new snaplock Glad Bag for a couple of Pec-Pads and a sealable bottle or cannister for a small amount of methanol.

They should also familiarise themselves with the excellent tutorial at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning before they attempt their own clean.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Luke Smith on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:41 am

way too dusty and I wouldn't want anyone exposing a sensor to that environment

Good point :)

For the less computer literate types that go to BCG i might print the article out for them...
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:44 am

Manta wrote:I'm still unsure if I'll be able to make it but, if I do, I'll certainly bring the gear. Unfortunately I won't be doing an actual sensor clean demonstration - the BCG meeting room is just way too dusty and I wouldn't want anyone exposing a sensor to that environment.

If any D70ers want to take take some cleaning materials home I will have Pec-Pads, some methanol and some of Birddog's high tech ( :lol: ) swab sticks. I recommend folks bring along a new snaplock Glad Bag for a couple of Pec-Pads and a sealable bottle or cannister for a small amount of methanol.

They should also familiarise themselves with the excellent tutorial at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning before they attempt their own clean.

Manta,
You may operate a cleaning station at the BCG and charge $20.00/ clean.
:lol: Put that money into a night out for DSLRUsers Brisbane chapter.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 am

Now you're onto something Birdy!

On another point - apart from Rebecca (Leigh999), Martyn (Nikkonman), Luke (Luke Smith) and myself I'm not sure how many BCG members are also members of the DSLRUsers Forum. In fairness to the other Brisbane forum members who go to our minimeets and contribute greatly to our forum community, I would rather save the current limited supplies of cleaning gear for them rather than distribute it to the non-forum BCGers.

This is just an example of hiccups that can occur when the two groups are combined. I'd much rather leave the sensor cleaning demos and equipment sharing for DSLRUsers mini-meets. It may be a good way to drum up some new members for the forum when non-members see the sort of things we get involved in.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am

Manta,
In the early days of this forum, I knew there were some members also frequently went to the BCG meets.

Yep! keep the supplies for our Bris. chapter :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:37 am

Thanks Birdy.

I think there may be a few still hanging around but some have only drifted through occasionally - I'll have to delve a bit deeper to dig them up. I know Cricketfan and Gerard used to/still have some involvement but I don't think either has been to a meeting for a while.
Simon
Manta

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 am

I go to BCG meetings occasionally. I won't be going to this one.

I would certainly make every effort to go to the next DSLRusers mini-meet up here. I have sensor-cleaning gear and have cleaned mine (only once!), so would be happy to participate if available.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:49 am

That'd be great Trevor. Been a while between drinks so it would be terrific to catch up. I hope your wife is back on deck after that evil flu. (Which, I might add, is exactly the reason why I'm at home writing forum posts today rather than at work coughing pestilence over everyone...)
Simon
Manta

Postby Grev on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:21 am

I might be able to make it to this one, how do I get there though...? :wink:

And when is the next mini meet for us happening? I have yet to go to one... sigh. :cry:
Grev

Postby big pix on Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:46 am

Grev wrote:And when is the next mini meet for us happening? I have yet to go to one... sigh. :cry:

...... hopefully not before I get back home in mid September........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

bugger

Postby nikonman on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:22 pm

bugger you had to pick a date im out of brisbane :cry:
next time
take note manta

p.s.(just for manta only 1 k in nikon :D )
nikonman

Postby Dargan on Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Luke and others I will try to get there as I am in Brisbane that day next week. I have a bottle of champers that Birdy gave me for the group that we forgot to open at the Breakfast Creek meet, I don't drink the stuff but I will bring it along, even if we don't open it, I have started to see it as an 'ikon' of Birdy by now. I like the BCG group and any other Brisbane members note it is an easy venue to get to with plenty of parking. Any other members in Brisbane put in for the Premiers photo award?
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Re: bugger

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:16 am

nikonman wrote:bugger you had to pick a date im out of brisbane :cry:
next time
take note manta

p.s.(just for manta only 1 k in nikon :D )

DOH! Give a guy a break! I had the flu.... :-)
Simon
Manta

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:38 am

Nikonman - the special digital subgroup meeting on Tuesday 16/8 was called by the BCG, not us. Luke has attempted to tag a D70 minimeet type activity to it but I'd rather keep the two separate. We are due for another minimeet soon and I think we should wait for BigPix to get back, which should also give you enough notice to get there as well. It'd be great to get a big roll-up to our next session.

Dargan - it'll be good to catch up again. Don't know anyone who's entered the comp; good luck if you have. As I said in an earlier post I'm still not sure if I can make it on Tuesday night but we'll hopefully see you (and Oneputt) at the next DSLR Forum event - perhaps you should bring the bubbly to that!)
Simon
Manta

Postby Luke Smith on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:47 am

For me it makes sense to be active in both BCG and DSLRUsers (that’s what this is called now, right?)... The come from different angles. To make sure it works both ways we could display a bit of gratuitous merch ;)

I thought a bit of cross pollination wouldn’t hurt either group, but I’m no social dynamics guru.

L.
Luke Smith

Postby big pix on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:48 am

Manta wrote:Nikonman - the special digital subgroup meeting on Tuesday 16/8 was called by the BCG, not us. Luke has attempted to tag a D70 minimeet type activity to it but I'd rather keep the two separate. We are due for another minimeet soon and I think we should wait for BigPix to get back, which should also give you enough notice to get there as well. It'd be great to get a big roll-up to our next session.

...... Thanks guys, I will let you know when I have returned, a big rollup would be good, do you think we should have a poll on when and where so every one can try and get to the meet. Maybe a mini meet on simple table top photography using sb800 or Photoshop or both......lets have some thoughts.....or ideas......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Luke Smith wrote:For me it makes sense to be active in both BCG and DSLRUsers (that’s what this is called now, right?)... The come from different angles. To make sure it works both ways we could display a bit of gratuitous merch ;)

I thought a bit of cross pollination wouldn’t hurt either group, but I’m no social dynamics guru.

L.

As a member of both, I certainly see your point Luke but I get a little miffed when I see the figures for how many people are regular, long term attendees of the BCG and are too stingy to put their hand in their pocket to join as members. This is especially true of the Digital subgroup that seems to swell its numbers every month. Their attitude when asked about joining is "Why should I? What's in it for me" yet they keep turning up to every meeting, contributing little or nothing yet soaking up all the knowledge, tips and tricks they can. I'm not going to share our cleaning equipment with that sort of person. Grumpy old man? Maybe. I just don't want to show any disrespect towards Birddog and his generosity and he's already intimated in this thread that he'd prefer us to keep the gear amongst the forum fraternity.
Simon
Manta

Postby Luke Smith on Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm not a member... despite making several attempts to become one, I almost get the impression John doesn’t want my money. I have however contributed my little bit by giving a talk at the last meeting, and apparently I’m giving another on the 5th of September (apparently I look like someone who knows something about Auto-Focussing???).

Anyways, I wasn’t expecting anyone to give out free cleaning stuff… more to do a bit of myth-busting and prove that an average person can clean their sensor at home armed with some basic equipment and knowledge.

L.
Luke Smith

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:14 pm

Luke Smith wrote:I'm not a member... despite making several attempts to become one, I almost get the impression John doesn’t want my money. I have however contributed my little bit by giving a talk at the last meeting, and apparently I’m giving another on the 5th of September (apparently I look like someone who knows something about Auto-Focussing???).

I know you've been contributing a lot Luke - in fact I thought you were already a member due to your high level of participation. I don't know why John hasn't referred you to Rebecca, the group treasurer, who'd be only too pleased to relieve you of your membership dues. :lol:

Luke Smith wrote:Anyways, I wasn’t expecting anyone to give out free cleaning stuff… more to do a bit of myth-busting and prove that an average person can clean their sensor at home armed with some basic equipment and knowledge.

My mistake - I misconstrued your intent when you mentioned the gear and doing a demo. As I've only done the deed once, I certainly don't consider myself much of an authority on the subject, merely someone who thought "well...SOMEONE has got to give this a go sometime!" but I'm happy to discuss with others my understanding of the procedure (though it's all spelled out very clearly in the Copperhill tutorial). On the other hand, giving someone the spiel without actually showing them the process (and thereby exposing a sensor to the ravenous dust bunnies of an ancient Kelvin Grove State School classroom) could prove a waste of everyone's time.

I'm really happy to be involved but admit to a bit of angst towards non-members who are happy to remain non-members forever and not contribute anything in the meantime. You certainly do not fall into this category Luke as your efforts are very well intentioned and equally well received. Please don't take any offence at my previous post on the matter. :oops:
Simon
Manta

Postby Dargan on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Manta and Luke et al

The bubbly shall remain in the cellar until BigPix returns and we get another minimeet together. I would like a PS discussion meet if you are thinking of a focus for the meet. I went to MattK's Saturday morning AW workshop and found it very informative.

I will still come along next Tuesday Luke, I have the material to do a sensor clean from Birdy but have never done so and anyway I just like sitting in and listening to topics related to photography so I am easy to please.

I don't think I will get the photo in as the Premiers Awards close tomorrow afternoon and you are required to have a Talent Consent Form which I got verbally but not in writing and havent got that yet. It also has to be printed out 30 x 45cm which at 6.30pm now is not going to happen soon. I think I will put the pic here I liked and see what you guys think. The topic Multiculturalism had a theme diversity at work and my picture is a crop of my diverse postgraduate employment group.

Viz;

PPOK
Dargan

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Great shot Dargan - really nails the theme!

Looking forward to seeing you whenever it is. PS theme sounds great to me. I'd personally like to get a bit more from RAW - I'm sure I'm not working as efficiently as I could be.
Simon
Manta

Postby gecko on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:28 pm

Photoshop tutorial would be good for me, but I am happy to support whatever minimeet is arranged....

Not sure if I can make it to the Bris camera meeting though...

Cheers
Gecko/Gerard
gecko

Postby Byron on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:53 pm

This Tuesday night is good for me, my second BCG attendance, this time with a digital flavour.

Hey like your shot Dargan, you mentioned at the anniverary meet you had a shot of your students in mind.

Tamara
Byron

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:19 pm

I'd like to participate in one of these meets sometime - though my permanent night shift at the paper will likely throw all hope of that out the window.

If there might be a daytime meeting I could catch up and hopefully share my skills with photoshop.
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby big pix on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:10 pm

elffinarts wrote:I'd like to participate in one of these meets sometime - though my permanent night shift at the paper will likely throw all hope of that out the window.

If there might be a daytime meeting I could catch up and hopefully share my skills with photoshop.

...... we will be hopefully setting up a mini meet sometime late September or early October, if it is OK with everyone, and your Photoshop skills will be more than welcomed.

I know I have mentioned this before but can we look at a place to hire, that is central to everyone. A small cost when you think of what will be gained......

......members thoughts on a location and a date.....maybe start a new thread so we can start to be more positive.......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

is the meeting still on tomorrow night?

Postby vrboy on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi I am just new to the forum and would like to know if the meeting is still on tomorrow night.
Also could you tell me where in the Kelvin Grove high school the meeting is. Hall, Library etc.
Looking forward to being there I also am bringing a friend.
'
Cheers.
C
vrboy

Postby Dargan on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:34 pm

As far as I know it is. Get a referdex and it is parallel to Kelvin Grove Road around the back of the QUT precinct area I think. There is plenty of parking and just see where there are people. It is a primary school with demountables so it is easy to find the meet location. See you there tonight.
PPOK
Dargan

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast