Fireworks in Melbourne

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Fireworks in Melbourne

Postby yeocsa on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:10 am

Hi,

Can anyone advise me where is a good location to take the fireworks in Melbourne this December?

Thanks,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby W00DY on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:12 am

There's some really good ones just north of Melbourne in a place called Sydney :)

Just thought I'd get in before MattK does.

Anyway to answer your question, no idea.

W00DY PS: I love Melbourne, I really do :)
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby dperrett on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:42 am

while we're talking fireworks - is there a special technique for taking photos of fireworks?
dperrett

Postby BBJ on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:14 am

Not sure about using the d70 but my other camera i used something like F8 manual focus, need a tripod and a remote shutter if you have one with you D70 that is fine, if not use the timer. I would try different time upto about 5 secs maybe but i always had a hat so used to cover the lens with the shutter open while in bulb mode, then when i heard the burst i would take the hat away. It's all trial and error but once u have it focused in the first shots thats it no need to touch it again. Using the remote or the timer is a must to avoid camera shake. Hope this helps a bit.
Our Fireworks only goes for about 10 minutes so i no sooner got the hang of it and was all over.
This was my first ever fireworks shot, oh and yeh dont be dwnwind from the smoke.
Not the greatest shot, but was ok for first time and we only have them once a year here.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby skippy on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:15 am

To about 95% of the population it consists of pointing, clicking and ignoring the people around you complaining about the flash... :roll:

Haven't actually tried it yet, but it seems like (after turning off the flash!) you'd set up on a tripod, aim for where the bursts will appear, set it for about a 2 or 3 second exposure and shoot when you see the trail head upwards before it explodes.

Maybe a midrange aperture and manual focus set to infinity? Anyone?
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby BBJ on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:40 am

Yes skippy infinity would be good. but spose there somethings to start with i am sure people will have longer than the 10mins i had to try get it right, some lik ei see on tv in the cities seem to go forever, something us country folk just dont see. LOL
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:22 am

I am new to Melbourne. I am not sure where would be a good spot.

When shooting fireworks, I always use:-

1. Tripod
2. Shutter - 5 seconds
3. Adjust apeture (from F8 to F11) depending on the brightness of the fireworks.
4. Focus - manual and set to infinity
5. Use a black card to cover lens whenever i want a shorter exposure time.
6. Wide angle lens.

There's hardly any time to make adjustment once the firework starts as it only last 10 minutes or less. Fortunately, you can see the shots on the LCD.
yeocsa

Postby swanson on Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:50 am

link to Melb Fireworks this year.

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/conten ... t_ID=81210

Family Fireworks
Enjoy a special 9.30pm blockbuster fireworks display for families and children at Birrarung Marr. The fireworks is a tribute to Melbourne’s recording artists and a celebration of the city’s vibrant musical and cultural diversity.

Best viewing sites:

Birrarung Marr
Alexandra Gardens
NewQuay Docklands.

Midnight Fireworks
The magnificent New Year’s Eve midnight fireworks spectacular will bring Melbourne Alive! Experience the colourful and musical journey with classical and contemporary musical pieces as Melbourne celebrates its love of theatre.

Best viewing sites:

Alexandra Gardens
Birrarung Marr
Federation Square
NewQuay Docklands
Southgate Arts and Leisure Precinct
the Arts Centre

Melbourne Alive fireworks cannot be viewed from Princes Bridge or the Crown Entertainment Complex.

The midnight fireworks will be broadcast live on the super screens in Alexandra Gardens and Birrarung Marr.

Tune into 99.7FM radio for instant information on New Year’s Eve, including the live broadcast of both fireworks shows at 9.30pm and midnight.
swanson

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas