Meteor Shower

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Meteor Shower

Postby dawesy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/syd ... 27941.html

Not sure how such a thing would shoot, but for those that shoot the heavens I'd sure like to see the results. Of course I have a Christmas party tonight, so don't expect too much form me!
dawesy

Postby Onyx on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Where's a good open place to see this, ideally a little out of Sydney? I thought about driving up to the Blue Mths, but it's full of trees and other junk in the way.

Hunter Valley? Flat open spaces, hopefully not too much light pollution...
Onyx

Postby Raskill on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Maybe go to the Mountains, and head down the Kings Tablelands at Wentworth falls. It takes you out on a plateau and is nice and open, and dark.

Happy trails. Star trails that is...
:wink:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Handlebars on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:53 am

Did anyone get a good shot of this?

I stayed up for it, and saw 20+, of which 3 were really large and clear.

I also took about 150 shots, but missed all of them... :shock:

My approach was to pick an area in the sky, and continually shoot, hoping to get one (or 2 or 3) in a long exposure. A number of them shot by in frame, but always when I was playing with settings, or in between shots.

As this was my first attempt at night shooting I took some bloody awful shots. However sitting outside at 1am with a nice cold beer and shooting the stars was a very pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Next year I'll try to get a wide angle lens,set the camera before it gets dark, and may even drive out of suburbia to try again!

So if you got a few shots, please post and reveal your settings 8)
C&C more than welcome!
Canon 300d...(hopefully not for too long though)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/HandleBars
Handlebars

Postby radar on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Send a PM to member Gordon. He works in an observatory so he may have gotten some.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Big Red on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm

i found a big open area on top of a hill at Jimna and set up my swag and saw 5 ...

they were so quick and faint i doubt whether they would have shown up so i didn't bother trying to take a pic ... just enjoyed the stars until i fell asleep.
Big Red

Postby SteveGriffin on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 pm

There has been activity pretty much every morning for the past 2 weeks. Well worth a look but the early rise is a killer.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby Gordon on Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:38 am

SteveGriffin wrote:There has been activity pretty much every morning for the past 2 weeks. Well worth a look but the early rise is a killer.

Just came across this thread, I haven't had much time to look in here recently...
There are plenty of meteors to be seen every night under a dark sky, but the Geminids were on top of the usual sporadic meteor rate. I spent about 90 mins watching from home around the predicted peak of the shower and saw about 1/minute on average. The shower wasn't quite as rich as last year according to a colleague's meteor camera network.
I left the D200 with 20mm lens running on the veranda when I went to bed, and then took it up the hill to take more photos from there, but after a quick run through them on the camera, the only bright one I recorded was when I was asleep. Its still in the camera though, and not on my HD yet... and not really all that spectacular.

Gordon
D70, D200, CP5700
Gordon

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas