Creature Features

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Creature Features

Postby Mal on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:26 am

Happy New Year to you all.
I have a request that I would like to ask of all our members. It could also become helpful for other members looking for great places to shoot.

As some of you may know I work for the ABC on a kids TV show called Creature Features
Creature Features is a fun educational animal show. We travel all over Australia to film
We are currently in the process of recording series eight. After over 130 episodes we are looking for new places to film.
My request is to see if anyone is aware of an hidden gems! We have visited all of the major zoo's in every state but I am keen to hear if anyone has any private zoo's, wildlife parks, sanctuary's or places where animals are kept that we may not have filmed at.

I thought I would add my top three to start the ball rolling.

Australia Zoo Sunshine Coast- This has to be the best run zoo that I have visited. (You learn a lot about a place when you see what is hidden from the general public) Great viewing platforms without cages to get into shots. A huge collection of fauna.
Mogo Zoo Just south of Uladulla NSW. This is a privately owned zoo that has small enclosures but good viewing platforms for kids and also photography.
Monarto Zoological Park Monarto 45minutes outside of Adelaide. This is an open plain zoo and as such you are in a vehicle driving around the place. I am sure that they offer photographic tours (similar to Werribee in Melbourne) They have some wonderful Big Cats, and the vistas are stunning.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Mal, and Happy New year to you.

I'm not sure if this place is still around, and I doubt that travel there would be within your show's budget, but in Dallas (yep, big hair, Southfork, Texas) there's a small park for rescued big cats.

In the US there are places where it's actually legal to have a tiger or a leopard as your household pet, but some people don't adequately consider the needs and responsibilities of such a decision, and thus the animals end up. Of course, there are many places, too, where the keeping of such animals as pets is not legal, and if you're moving to one of those areas and you have such a pet, you need to find it alternative accommodation.

It used to be called TEFF (Texas Exotic Feline Foundation) but I know that a few years ago they were having difficulties, and International Exotic Animal Sanctuary seems to be who they are now.

As well as disaffected pets, they also used to have animals that other locations would reject, or had been mistreated. Their collection was varied and interesting. As I said though, budget might be the issue that restrains you.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 am

Happy New Year Mal.

Have you tried the Billabong Zoo in Port MacQuarie :?:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: Creature Features

Postby Bindii on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 am

Mal wrote:Happy New Year to you all.
I have a request that I would like to ask of all our members. It could also become helpful for other members looking for great places to shoot.

As some of you may know I work for the ABC on a kids TV show called Creature Features
Creature Features is a fun educational animal show. We travel all over Australia to film
We are currently in the process of recording series eight. After over 130 episodes we are looking for new places to film.
My request is to see if anyone is aware of an hidden gems! We have visited all of the major zoo's in every state but I am keen to hear if anyone has any private zoo's, wildlife parks, sanctuary's or places where animals are kept that we may not have filmed at.

I thought I would add my top three to start the ball rolling.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are after Mal.. but my friend breeds reptiles (around 300 of them at last count) and they also keep bats (of the flying fox variety) that are there for hand raising as they are orphans (baby season on the bats finishes shortly though)... her place has been filmed on Totally Wild on a few occassions and well as for various documentries and other wildlife orientated shows..

:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby big pix on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 am

HNY...... Montague Island if full of bird life, Seals and more...... not a Zoo but a Nature Reserve, well worth a look

http://www.southcoast.com.au/montague/index.html
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Mal on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:00 am

gstark wrote:I'm not sure if this place is still around, and I doubt that travel there would be within your show's budget, but in Dallas (yep, big hair, Southfork, Texas) there's a small park for rescued big cats.

Thanks Gary, and yep that would blow our budget! But I'll keep that one in mind for my next trip to the states
Mal
Mal

Postby Mal on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:02 am

Bindii wrote:Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are after Mal.. but my friend breeds reptiles (around 300 of them at last count) and they also keep bats (of the flying fox variety) that are there for hand raising as they are orphans (baby season on the bats finishes shortly though)... her place has been filmed on Totally Wild on a few occassions and well as for various documentries and other wildlife orientated shows..

Exactly what we are after! Can you PM me some details? Thanks Sue
Mal
Mal

Postby Mal on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:09 am

big pix wrote:HNY...... Montague Island if full of bird life, Seals and more...... not a Zoo but a Nature Reserve, well worth a look

http://www.southcoast.com.au/montague/index.html

Thanks Bernie, that looks like a good place. Will have to check it out a little more closely. BTW have you any pictures from on your smugmug website from there?

It would also fit in with visiting Mogo Zoo as well!
Mal
Mal

Postby Killakoala on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:04 pm

While you are down the south coast, there is also Nowra Wildlife Park. I have not been there but it's popular with Nowra locals with young families. It's about 500 metres from my home.

I have been meaning to visit and take a few shots but I am going to wait until school holidays are over first.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Bindii on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Mal wrote:
Bindii wrote:Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are after Mal.. but my friend breeds reptiles (around 300 of them at last count) and they also keep bats (of the flying fox variety) that are there for hand raising as they are orphans (baby season on the bats finishes shortly though)... her place has been filmed on Totally Wild on a few occassions and well as for various documentries and other wildlife orientated shows..

Exactly what we are after! Can you PM me some details? Thanks Sue

PM sent Mal.. xxx
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Mal
There is a colony of bats that hang around in the trees just off the Bruce Highway near Nambour on the Sunshine Coast. I saw them returning to their roost (is that the right word for bats home) early one morning, what a sight.
Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Big Red on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:10 pm

there is a colony of fruit bats in fairly low trees at the south end of Cascade Gardens on the highway just south of surfers Paradise
UBD 39 M16
its only a few metres from the Gold Coast Hwy and you can park opposite Chelsea ave near a brick building so you don't have to carry your gear far
Big Red

Postby Big Red on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Fleays wildlife park on the gold coast.
Currumbin Bird sanctuary on the gold coast.
O'Reillys way out back of the gold coast at Canungra, birds are wild but fairly tame ... ask Slider and Finch as they run workshops up there.
Big Red

Postby Mal on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:32 pm

Big Red wrote:Fleays wildlife park on the gold coast.
O'Reillys way out back of the gold coast at Canungra, birds are wild but fairly tame ... ask Slider and Finch as they run workshops up there.

Thanks for these Shane.

We have visited Currumbin numerous times, it is a great spot.
David Fleay Wildlife Park is also good.
But O'Reillys is a new one for me so I will follow that one up. Many thanks
Mal
Mal

Postby Big Red on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Mal wrote:
Big Red wrote:Fleays wildlife park on the gold coast.

Thanks for these Shane.

We have visited Currumbin numerous times, it is a great spot.
David Fleay Wildlife Park is also good.
But O'Reillys is a new one for me so I will follow that one up. Many thanks

O'Reillys is not a wildlife park but a Guesthouse, cafe, campground etc where the birds from the surrounding Rainforest flock in for a free feed.
Big Red

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas