V8 Supercars: Mt Panorama, Bathurst 9th - 12th October

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

V8 Supercars: Mt Panorama, Bathurst 9th - 12th October

Postby ja_S_on on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Gday,

If anyone else is in the locale and interested, Ozonejunkie and myself will be hitting up the races in Bathurst.

No set times on exactly when or where we will be up there, but we would be more than happy to meet up with anyone who is around

Cheers
Jason
ja_S_on

Re: V8 Supercars: Mt Panorama, Bathurst 9th - 12th October

Postby ozimax on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Would love to but can't. Bathurst is my home town but I've NEVER been to the great race. Can you believe it? :roll:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby idleowen on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of venturing over the Mountains to Bathurst too,has anybody got any recommendations for best corners/track position for taking shots??

Nigel
nikon stuff
idleowen

Postby hrpremier on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:54 pm

idleowen

Not making it this year but always get great shots on top of mountain. In 2004 I got fantastic shots at this location. Not sure what its called but as they leave the cutting and climb the hill some more there is a left hander and the track drops away before they head to brocks skyline. The cars get light as the road drops away and normally get some good shots with a wheel or two off the ground. Loking back up the track towards the dipper is a good shot if you get some cars close together fighting for position. At Forest Elbow my wife managed to get the best shots of 2006, but you need to get right around the corner looking at the cars square on as they brake hard and turn left onto Conrod straight. The final spot I think to try is Murrays corner. The final corner of the lap. We usually head there with about 50 laps to go to see the end of the race. The Holdens in particular normally dump fuel in the exhaust (Ie flame out the left hand side) as they hit the apex of the corner. Normally a good shot except the clowns running the show keep running a cable (Presumably speaker) across the top of the track and it is in most of my shots. Have a great time on the Mountain. Wish I was there to celebrate 40 years since the monaro arrived. Looking forward to any posts next week.

Jase

Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Postby Raskill on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:29 am

There is a few members at this that I know of, myself, jeff, mattyo and michael_ , I'd be surpirsed if Barry didnt make the trip for at least a day also.

Myself and the other 'circlework' members have accred, so we will be on the 'right' side of the fence, but at Bathurst that hardly matters, as your so close to the track anyway. HRPremier makes some good points for good locations. You need to be on the exit of Murrays, almost 50 metres up pit straight to get good angles for the flame outs from the Holdens. If you have a 400mm+ you can get some good shots back up conrod straight from Murrays, and also at the 'Chase'. The top of the hill is ok, but there are about 100000 idiots up there. You can get a nice perspective of how much the track climbs if you go to the top at Sulman Park, and shot back down the track as the cars climb up the hill.

Mattyo has managed to get a 600 4.5 which I am HANGING to try. SO many shots I can think of.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby barry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Correct Alan, I'll be there Sunday. Plan to start up on the Mountain and drift down the bottom around lunchtime. I'll look out for you guys.
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby idleowen on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:38 pm

thks for the info on good locations........
nikon stuff
idleowen

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas