[SYD] Glebe Tram Sheds Last Hurrah...

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

[SYD] Glebe Tram Sheds Last Hurrah...

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:41 pm

It could well be the last opportunity to see this location, with that said access may well be closed completely already, however if anyone is keen for a graf/HDR/whatever tickles your fancy outting, sunday morning 18th it is. PM or message me for details..

here is a few last session

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: [SYD] Glebe Tram Sheds Last Hurrah...

Postby surenj on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Count me in... :cheers:
surenj

Postby surenj on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:10 pm

I've got some ideas for some strobism as usual.... :mrgreen: Does anyone have a smoke machine we could borrow? :wink:
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Well i think that may be the last photo session there for me at this rate - its great to have a look and see how things have changed and how on earth people get some sh$t in and out of there!

Short lived session, however it was worth it and breakfast was not too shabby.
Usual ratings..

Location. 10/10 cause its going to be gone soon :rotfl2:
Breakfast at the trendy Annadale cafe 7/10.

obligatory shot of the trams... :)

biggerry

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 am

Hey Gerry - I like that beam of light in the first (intentional?)

I'll endeavour to post up some of mine soon.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am

Getting in now was interesting - the whole area is surrounded by double fences and locked gates and all the entrance doors have now been locked and barricaded. Out front there's now a number of demountables (readying for construction) and security guards now patrol the site.

Once you manage to "bypass" the fence, there is however an extremely muddy and narrow "path" around the building to the back where you will find a small window you need to climb through with the help of some bins and milk crates. Photography is obviously far more motivating when a spot of trespassing is involved :)

Thanks dudes for another very entertaining photography shoot...

We did manage to get in but our stay was unfortunately brief - we only had 30 minutes before security arrived and we were very politely asked to leave the premises. I must however say that the guard was very accommodating.

I bracketed all of my exposures at 0, -2 and +2EV primed for some HDR treatment.

A psychedelic rendition of the four trams in a row in the main hall. This is far more colourful and dynamic that what was actually there but this is an homage to what may soon be no more

Tramway
NIKON D7000 + 8.0-16.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8 mm, 0.4 sec at f/9, ISO 100

The second hall now empty of trams

Forgotten Times
NIKON D7000 + 8.0-16.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8 mm, 0.4 sec at f/9, ISO 100

The bus awaits it's passengers for one last ride

All Aboard
NIKON D7000 + 8.0-16.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8 mm, 0.8 sec at f/11, ISO 100

but perhaps not...

Hmm Where to Sit
NIKON D7000 + 8.0-16.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8 mm, 1 sec at f/11, ISO 100

Finally here is an HDR panorama I quickly took in the middle of the main hall just before we got ejected...

(use the arrow keys or mouse to pan left/right and/or up/down in the virtual view)

http://www.rc.au.net/pano/20110918_901_ ... no_640.mov
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby Geoff M on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Nice shots there Gerry and Rodney - wish we had places like that around this neck of the woods. It seems a shame that it has to go, but that's probably purery from a photographic POV, I don't know the area but I suspect that the local residents are eagerly awaiting a clear up. I imagine that it attracts, or has, attracted all sorts of down and outs (togs excluded :D) over the years. How long is it since the tram sheds were last 'officially' used?
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Geoff M wrote:How long is it since the tram sheds were last 'officially' used?

It depends on what you mean by officially. It was closed as a Tram Shed in 1958. It has been used as a set for a number of commercials and other TV shows over recent years.
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am

Remorhaz wrote:Hey Gerry - I like that beam of light in the first (intentional?)

I'll endeavour to post up some of mine soon.

all beams of light intentional ;)

looking at these in hindsight, they look very flat and too bright, will definitely have to have another look at them.

Remorhaz wrote:A psychedelic rendition of the four trams in a row in the main hall. This is far more colourful and dynamic that what was actually there but this is an homage to what may soon be no more

I like the first two, the 3rd and 4th are good use of the 8mm.

With the first, it has good depth but this could be improved by dialing back the HDR on the roof, I find this (my images in this thread suffer the same problem), the roof really throws teh brain out for me, it removes that 3d feeling to the image.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:04 am

biggerry wrote: they look very flat

that's cause the light WAS flat at the time. That's why I was keen to add some light with the strobes here and there... :wink:

I am looking at these with a monitor with a severe green tint and Rodney, your closeup trams with perspective looks quite interesting in that light! :shock:
surenj

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Rodney, I must say i've not seen the trams shot like that before, I actually found it quite 3d and thought the roof in the image (image 1) was great. Personally I loved the treatment, i would like to see it printed on a canvas and hung in a modern styled room with white walls, I think it would really set a room and make it look amazing, to me such a different angle I love it.
I also found your image rodney (image 3) was also fantastic, once again a very artistic representation of the shed! love it!!

Sad to think it wont be around any longer, glad you guys headed down and had a visit before it would be forever gone!

Well done guys, loved viewing your images and the different views you had of the same building!! :up:
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas