Perth and Margaret River

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Perth and Margaret River

Postby Mitchell on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am

I am heading to Perth for a conference in late April and have tacked on an extra couple of days to head to the Margaret River for some wine and photography...

Any suggestions from those in the know of must see places in and around Perth and Margaret River?

Cheers.
Mitchell

Postby Alex on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:08 am

Oh.. Perth is a beautiful city. I’m not from WA, but spent 2 weeks there back last year and was quite impressed with photo opportunities. Perth city is beautiful as are surroundings with very nice parks. Swan river is very nice. I drove between Perth and Freemantle along the river and there are so many beautiful views! Freemantle is another spot to visit. Margaret river is fantastic. Unfortunately it rained quite a bit the only day I was there, but I still managed to get some photos. You can see some samples in my WA gallery here: http://agitlits.m6.net/nikond70/WATrip1.asp (Freemantle and Perth)

http://agitlits.m6.net/nikond70/WATrip2.asp (Margaret river)

Have fun

Alex
Alex

Postby Andyt on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 am

Mitchell,

As stated above, Fremantle can be good, if you are travelling to Margaret River suggest you keep to the coast road for photo ops, take the time to go the bit extra to Augusta (30mins from MR). If time permits carry on to Albany and you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, explore the roads (and wineries) between MR and the coast. Oh!... and keep your speed down, otherwise the lads in Khaki will take your pic!! :lol:

Enjoy! Andyt (Ex Perth, now up "North"
Andyt

Postby gunn parker on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:46 pm

Where are you staying in Perth and how long for?
there are so many places to visit in Perth itself then you have the whole coast to look at as well.

here is an old pic taken between Bussleton and Margaret river, with my old camera, you might just see the guys fishing at the bottom.
Andrew
Fuji Finepix s9500>>>D70s 18-70 lens
gunn parker

Postby Mitchell on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:00 am

gunn parker wrote:Where are you staying in Perth and how long for?
there are so many places to visit in Perth itself then you have the whole coast to look at as well.

I arrive late on Tues April 25 and leave afternoon of April 30. I'm staying at the Hilton, and the conference is on Wed, Thurs, Fri - but I will definitely have to take a few breaks from the programme to get out and about during the day.:wink:

I was thinking I would leave mid afternoon on Friday and drive down the coast to try and get some nice shots in the evening light. Then spend all day Saturday and Sunday morning around Margaret River.

It's a tight schedule, but with the expertise from this forum hopefully I can see some of the best bits...
Mitchell

Postby gunn parker on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Here is a map showing with a circle where you will be staying.
The river is a short walk south with lots to see there and Kings park is to the left of your screen.
Margaret river is a further 3 ish hours drive south.
Look here for a 1 to 4 day plan of what to do while there.
Fuji Finepix s9500>>>D70s 18-70 lens
gunn parker

Postby obzelite on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:07 am

Well one thing you can be guaranteed of is some great sunsets.

Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Return to Adelaide and Perth