Lemurs at the Zoo

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Lemurs at the Zoo

Postby DanielA on Sun May 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi all,
I went on the "Animals in Focus" photographic course held at the Adelaide Zoo today. Unfortunately the light was absolutely terrible, so it was nearly impossible to get good shots. But one highlight was getting to go inside the Lemur enclosure. I wasn't sure what lens to use, so I put on the 10-20mm :D

More shots in my gallery.

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Sir Tristram on Sun May 28, 2006 10:52 pm

How goods that first pic. Its KING JULIAN!!! I got to move, move it.....

If you have kids you'll know what I mean.

Great shots
And this is where I met the leprechaun - He told me to burn things
Sir Tristram

Postby Finch on Sun May 28, 2006 11:04 pm

Me too, love that first pic. Very sharp and it was good not to capture any of the enclosure.

You must have been stoked to have been allowed in the Lemur's enclosure. I used to see them everyday when I was a birdkeeper at Taronga zoo years ago and they are just great to watch.

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby avkomp on Sun May 28, 2006 11:05 pm

going inside the tiger enclosure would have been better!!

great shot on number 1. well done.

Steve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby BBJ on Sun May 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Daniel, very nice looking characters there. That's a bugger shooting in these conditions, as i had someone ask me yesterday about how it is like to shoot on cloudy days and i said sometimes it's a B*tch but can work in your favor like a big difuser, no shadows.

Anyhow only a couple weeks and i will be making the trip upto Adelaide to join fozzie and BigV to a visit to the zoo there and maybe stay the weekend so might make the minimeet.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby rookie2 on Sun May 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Nice capture Daniel tho I'd love to see his full tail/brush - cropped out or just too big?

Great that you can get so close to the action

How did yu know about this course? - I don't remember if you said you were a member of the Zoo society.

cheers
Rookie2
rookie2

Postby aussichef on Mon May 29, 2006 1:40 am

i joined the zoo society on my last visit with fozzie earlier this month
id also like to know how you find out when these days are please
warren
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Postby DanielA on Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Thank you all.

Finch wrote:You must have been stoked to have been allowed in the Lemur's enclosure.

I was. It was unexpected and it is always great getting to go places the public never do. :D

avkomp wrote:going inside the tiger enclosure would have been better!!

Well yes, but I think we would have lost one or two of the group! :shock:

BBJ wrote:That's a bugger shooting in these conditions, as i had someone ask me yesterday about how it is like to shoot on cloudy days and i said sometimes it's a B*tch but can work in your favor like a big difuser, no shadows.

Yes, this is one of those times when I wish I had the 70-200vr f2.8. It's doesn't happen that often.

rookie2 wrote:Nice capture Daniel tho I'd love to see his full tail/brush - cropped out or just too big?

It was too long. That is the full height of the shot (cropped from landscape shot). :?

rookie2 wrote:How did yu know about this course?

I relative of mine is a member of the Zoo society and I think it was in the magazine you get. You can see the next course on the Zoo website. I actually found the "advanced course" a bit on the basic side. They focused on exposure and seeing/framing shots. The advert is not really right as they didn't cover fill-flash or macro. But it was interesting.

Daniel, whose BH-55 arrived today...
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Return to Adelaide and Perth