Expodisk or grey card anyone use these ????

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Expodisk or grey card anyone use these ????

Postby aussichef on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:36 am

Hi all
Been reading alont on forums lately about an expodisk giving great results for WB
I went into diamonds camera store last week & no one there knew what i was talking about
Anyone know if they are available in oz or will i have to get one off ebay from ther US
Even getting a grey card was hard enogh James place camera's was the only one that had any
would value everyones opinion
And now i have racked up 50 posts i will have to aply for full membership
off to the salt mine now am i glad i have 2 days off after this
warren
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:46 am

Look for a whiteish transluscent Pringles lid, or something similar. They work almost as well as an expodisk, but at a significantly lower cost.

And we have a tutorial on the front page that will help you to understand the techniques involved.

A grey card is a very useful tool, but it's more for exposure setting than for wb, but it can be used for either.

Another approach you may wish to consider - using either a grey card or a color chart - is to simply set your camera into raw, with a known but manual wb setting, and then take a test image including your grey card or colour chart in the image.

Then, when you're doing your PP, use this first image and calibrate the PP so that your reference point (grey card) in the images matches the reality, and then replicate those settings for every other image taken in that session.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:00 pm

I know ExpoDiscs are stocked by Borge's.
But personally I shoot RAW and use a WhiBal.
DaveB

Return to Adelaide and Perth