Place to visit in South Australia

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Place to visit in South Australia

Postby tyrone_tong on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:33 pm

First time to have a long holiday(more than 3 weeks) in Australia.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me to visit? I know there are quite a lot of region in SA~ Which one is the best to visit(and most importantly cheap)?
Actually i am thinking of Kangaroo Island or Victor Harbour..
I do not have a car so i probably need to take a tour(Not too expensive please......)
Thank you :roll:
Nikon D70s + Nikkor AF 28-105D+ AFS 70-300 VR + AF 50 f/1.8 D + Tokina 12-24 f/4 + DX 10.5 Fisheye+SB800
tyrone_tong

Postby sheepie on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Flinders Ranges - especially at this time of year (the wildflowers are supposed to be pretty spectacular).

Really amazing place, easy to get to and around. Stay at Rawnsley Park Station and use that as a base :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby ABG on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:08 am

Haven't been there for almost 20 years, but I have very fond memories of Kangaroo Island. Naturally the Barossa Valley is worth a visit :)
Andrew
ABG

Postby Ady on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:49 am

Where are you and how far are you willing to travel?
Ady

Postby Ronza on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:16 am

Hrmmh, tours can be quite limiting. Theres alot of scenery to be explored around the Fleurieu Peninsula toward Victor Harbour. Wine regions like the Barossa and Clare Valley along with Kangaroo Island can be visited in a day.

Heading out to the Flinders Ranges, especially Wilpena Pound is best done with your own car, doesn't have to be a 4WD as there are plenty of sealed tracks. The Murray River is great as well, I've kayaked around parts of the river camping for a week, with a camera I think its more sensible with a house boat.

Images from the Fleurieu Peninsula, left Adelaide about 10AM, enough time to cram in 3GB of images and back before Sunset.
http://ronza.smugmug.com/gallery/1695039
Ronza

Postby rasice on Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 am

I am new to Adelaide and I am finding this thread pretty useful.How far away flinders rangers from Adelaide?
rasice

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:35 am

Adelaide is nice in SA :D
Glen

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:57 am

Sorry - just noticed you say you don't have a car. Hrrmmmm - three weeks on holiday without a car, and doing it on the cheap :?

There may be some sort of bus pass that you can get that allows you multiple trips in that time - you would then need to pick the locations based on that pass, and where you can get to good stuff by walking.

Walking, in itself, may be a good option if you are that way inclined - there's a good (long) track that takes you from below Adelaide right up through the Flinders. Maybe do portions of that?

Spend a few days having a good look around Adelaide - there's lot's on offer, and the public transport system is (believe it or not) very good.

If you can get up to the Flinders, there's a bit of scope for walking (Wilpena Pound itself can only be explored on foot).

It's hard to travel cheaply without a car - not to say it can't be done, but you're not going to be able to see as much as you could by having your own transport (or paying through the nose for daily tours).
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:25 pm

Having just got back from Adelaide yesterday, I can vouch for McLaren Vale and then Victor Harbour - I would imagine there are tours available, although going to a wine region as good as McLaren Vale or the Barossa on a budget must be a lesson in self-torture :lol:

A day could be spent walking around the North Terrace and admiring the very old buildings.

And the Austral Hotel on Rundle St serves pints of Coopers Dark on tap for $4!

P
Reschsmooth

Postby tyrone_tong on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks all for the information. I searched some tours, however they are expensive V_V so...maybe i give up..and just stay in Adelaide. I know it is hard to travel in Australia without a car.. :wink:
Luckily I will have my first diving lesson on coming Friday :P
Nikon D70s + Nikkor AF 28-105D+ AFS 70-300 VR + AF 50 f/1.8 D + Tokina 12-24 f/4 + DX 10.5 Fisheye+SB800
tyrone_tong

Return to Adelaide and Perth