Adelaide Nikon owners

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Adelaide Nikon owners

Postby DebT on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi does anyone have a Nikon body to Canon lens convertor ?
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Re: Adelaide Nikon owners

Postby photohiker on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 pm

DebT,

It's not possible to put a Canon lens on a Nikon body due to the Nikon's longer mount-to-filmplane distance. It works the other way (Nikon lens on Canon body) fine, albeit with various issues to be overcome for aperture, focussing and exposure.

HERE's a table detailing the differences in the mount dimensions.

Michael
photohiker

Postby DebT on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:06 am

Hi Michael ,
thanks for the info -
thats an interesting comment because there are a few for sale at various internet sites and a few reviews available on the net - but it's nothing I am going to persue as I was looking to borrow one for a few hours to try something
thanks again for the response
DebT
DebT
DebT

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:46 am

What Michael has said is correct. The underlying problem is that because the Canon body is thinner than the Nikon, you are physically prevented from focusing at infinity (and many other longer distances) when you do this. The lens, when fully retracted, remains beyond the point at which the point of focus is attained.

DebT wrote: there are a few for sale at various internet sites and a few reviews available on the net

Are you sure that the ones you are seeing are for using a Canon lens on a Nikon body? I have certainly seen adapters that let you use Nikon glass on a Canon, but not the reverse.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DebT on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:59 am

No I'm not sure about anything advertised on Ebay or on some search hits ...but I have stopped looking on your recommendation that no such beast exists
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 am

Deb,

Ok, I am a little confused here ... merely because I believe that you are Canon user. As a Canon user, you would have very few issues getting one of the adapters and using Nikon glass on your Canon bodies.

Have you also acquired a Nikon body and wish to use your Canon glass on it? That's where my confusion is coming from.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Adelaide and Perth