Astronomical Photography Sessions

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Astronomical Photography Sessions

Postby Big V on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:56 pm

Hello All, there seems to be enough interest to organise an evening where we try some astronomical photography...So I am happy to help with this. The essentials will be: A tripod, cable release if you wish to shoot longer than 30 seconds, some warm clothing, a sense of humour, patience, some more patience, fully charged batteries and the ability to remain awake during the evening hours.

The desirable is a T-Adapter, this would allow you to fit your camera to the back of my telescope. I will try and see if any of the ASSA members have one for a nikon camera to help you out. There will be the opportunity to piggy back your camera to the telescope, which will allow you to use your camera lens but the sky will be tracked allowing for long exposures and no star trails.

I am open to suggestions as to where to do this and it can be done on more than one occasion. I will get access to the 20 inch scope at Stockport for us and I am also thinking about the saturday night before gluepot for those of you who are going up early - some good skies up in the riverland.

This will be a new element of photography for most of you and it can be very rewarding. It also allows you to push the envelope so to speak..
Looking forward to it
Big V
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 pm

Big V,

It is my intention to be in Waikerie late afternon to early evening on 29 October. So count me in :)
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby nat on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 pm

Thanks BigV.
I'm pretty keen to go to Stockport.
I'm not sure if I can get to Glupot at this stage. Its "still under discussion" in the household :? (the 29th is my wifes birthday) I will confirm later, but am quite keen.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
nat

Postby johndec on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:39 pm

Geez, tempted to book a flight with the OTHER Big V to join in :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby fozzie on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 am

Big V,

Even if you can not get a T-Adapter for a Nikon, I am still interested in going to see your setup :)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:55 am

fozzie wrote:Big V,

Even if you can not get a T-Adapter for a Nikon, I am still interested in going to see your setup :)

Is it a right angle viewfinder attached to the Nikon D70 viewfinder?
How is the T adapter work? :idea: :idea:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Marvin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:59 pm

meerkat wrote:Thanks BigV.
I'm not sure if I can get to Glupot at this stage. Its "still under discussion" in the household :? (the 29th is my wifes birthday) I will confirm later, but am quite keen.

Nat, bring her up for the weekend. You can stay in the Riverland, take her to Banrock Station for lunch (great setting - good views, food and wine). It should be great weather by then. We can get a couple of tinnies and go out in the backwater for a bit. Or you could take her on the River Rambler cruise in Renmark for a couple of hours. Lots to do for a weekend away (and throw the photography bit in too). Besides, its only a short drive away from you!
Marvin

Postby nat on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:18 pm

Marvin wrote:
meerkat wrote:Thanks BigV.

Nat, bring her up for the weekend. You can stay in the Riverland, take her to Banrock Station for lunch (great setting - good views, food and wine). It should be great weather by then. We can get a couple of tinnies and go out in the backwater for a bit. Or you could take her on the River Rambler cruise in Renmark for a couple of hours. Lots to do for a weekend away (and throw the photography bit in too). Besides, its only a short drive away from you!

Thanks Marvin - I've been trying to take that tack! I'll keep working at it! If it were just the two of is it would be fine. Its thinking through the implications of having an 18month old with us as well that is the complicating factor. :)
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
nat

Postby Marvin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Yep, I'm hearing you Nat. Good luck! I think we should still have one at Tony's place anyway as I think there would be quite a few people who can't make it to Gluepot but would still like to see the astro photog. Perhaps between now and the end of October? Up to you Virgs. :)
Marvin

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:11 pm

Birddy, the T adaptor is a lens attachment device, like putting a Nikon lens on a Canon camera. Or a telescope on to a Nikon f mount. They are often seen s/h on ebay for $20-$30.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby sheepie on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:58 pm

Glen wrote:Birddy, the T adaptor is a lens attachment device, like putting a Nikon lens on a Canon camera. Or a telescope on to a Nikon f mount. They are often seen s/h on ebay for $20-$30.

OMG - looks like I finally found something that I have that Birdie DOESN'T!!!

:shock:
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:03 pm

Is it the real word which Nikon uses to say? Adapter or adaptal or something else, could not find the "T adapter" within Nikon family wording or its catalog, is it genuine Nikon part?

P.S: I thought something related to plumber, T Adapter for waterpipe :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:10 pm

Not a Nikon part, used to put third party things on to the Nikon mount.

A plumber would have something close, they are always adapting stuff to fit :lol:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:21 pm

Glen wrote:A plumber would have something close, they are always adapting stuff to fit :lol:

:lol: I only know the T adapter from plumber, let me try to find one big enough to mount on the front of 200-400VR or the 500 AF-S II and hook up to one of those telescope :lol:

:shock: :lol: Does man need T Adapter? :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Big V on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:44 pm

A T-Adapter looks like this,
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5439
and when camera is attached to the scope it looks like this,
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5461
You also need the adapter ring which fits inside your camera and allows the t-adapter to screw into it. The adapter ring is specific for each brand of camera, whilst the t-adapter is generic...
Naturally I have nothing to do with bintel, it is just a link provided for information. Most camera stores which also sell telescopes should carry these two accessories, if not use the above...
Canon
Big V

Postby Big V on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

yes there will be a night organised at my house as well as the Gluepot weekend and we will throw one in at Stockport as well. This will give the maximum opportunioty for those who are interested to be able to make one or more of the sessions.]

For those of you who are unsure about Gluepot, there are many other things to do up there, uou could have your significant other half doing the tourist thing whilst you do the photo thing....
Canon
Big V

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Big V wrote:A T-Adapter looks like this,
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5439
and when camera is attached to the scope it looks like this,
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=5461
You also need the adapter ring which fits inside your camera and allows the t-adapter to screw into it. The adapter ring is specific for each brand of camera, whilst the t-adapter is generic...
Naturally I have nothing to do with bintel, it is just a link provided for information. Most camera stores which also sell telescopes should carry these two accessories, if not use the above...

Big V,
Thanks for this!
Firstly, I thought it looks like the T adapter from the plumber. but the T here may stand for telescope, though the picture from the provided link, with the wording T-adapter, I'm a Nikon die hard fan and tried to find it in Nikon books, catalogue, etc...Now I know what is the T adapter, but unfortunately I don't and have lot of interests in astronomical photography so I don't want to step further.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:31 pm

you can borrow mine if you want Birddog, I'll swap it for your 'noc' lens ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:44 pm

sheepie wrote:you can borrow mine if you want Birddog, I'll swap it for your 'noc' lens ;)

Hehehehehehe!
I have my neigbour, he's a good plumber and friend of mine! I'm going to see him soon, I saw on top of his van with many huge T-Adapters, perhaps he'll give me one for free and I'll try on one of the full lenght of his pipes in a huge diameter, perhaps I can take a very sharp picture of MARS with my D2x and that setup.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Marvin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 pm

Perhpas the SA chapter who are interested in the astro photography can throw in $10 each and get a shared t adapter to use when we do it. What do people think?
Marvin

Postby nat on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:32 pm

Marvin wrote:Perhpas the SA chapter who are interested in the astro photography can throw in $10 each and get a shared t adapter to use when we do it. What do people think?

Marvin, I did I bit of research this arvo and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two parts needed to mate a camera to a telescope. The first part is the t-adapter. This bit is specific to the telecsope that is being used. It goes where the eyepiece normally resides. This adapter has a screw thread that attaches to the second part - the t-ring. This bit is specific to the camera as it has a boyonet mount. This means that Canon and Nikon cameras would have different t-rings. I checked out one place in the city and a Nikon t-ring is $29. (The t-adapter is the more expensive part but this depends on the t'scope being used.)
Big V - I'm guessing that ASSA has a t-adapter available to fit the 20" at Stockport and you have one that suits you telescope. This, I think, means that we would just need to get a Nikon t-ring for about $29 - have I missed something?

(sorry guys - I didn't mean to write that much - it just happened!! :shock:
nat

Postby frink on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:35 am

meerkat:
Your summary is correct, the t-ring is specific to camera mount and screws on to the the t-adapter. The t-adapter is essentially just an open metal tube with a threaded mount on one end to attach to the t-ring. It turns the camera into the eyepiece so to speak..

I have a t-ring and adapter for the old Pentax screw in mount but my scope was never really steady enough to get decent pictures of anything except the Moon and one or two half decent ones of Saturn. Come to think of it my t-ring and adapter might be just one piece..

I'm assuming the 20" scope you're talking about would take 2" eyepieces.. either that or 1.25" so the t-adapter would need to be 2" or smaller (i'm not aware of anything bigger anyway). If using a 1.25" adapter on a 2" eyepiece tube you'd need some sort of adapter (akin to step-down rings for filters) so the t-adapter can sit nicely in the scope, i'd assume they'd have that sort of thing there anyway.
Not sure how a smaller diameter t-adapter effects image circle.. been a long time since I've had much to do with astrophotography. :?

I hope that's as clear as mud :wink: (i've probably mixed up my terms :oops: )
Stephen
frink

Postby fozzie on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:29 am

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Perhpas the SA chapter who are interested in the astro photography can throw in $10 each and get a shared t adapter to use when we do it. What do people think?

Count me in :)

If we do not get any other takers, I am willing to share the cost with you.

Just bear in mind we need two things:

T-Adapter

Adapter ring

Let me know what your thoughts are in due course.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:43 pm

I have the T-Adapter which will fit the telescopes. One of you will need to source the T-Ring for the nikon camera or I may be able to borrow one for you. Of course the other alternative is you use my Canon set-up (but then you will want to sell your nikon :))

If you have a cable release, you should be able to set your camera to bulb and this will allow you to take an exposure which is longer than 30 minutes...This woould require a manual dark frame though...

What ever the outcome, each of you will be able to use what you have to produce something worthwhile on the night(s)...
Canon
Big V

Postby robw25 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:22 am

lorraine and i are going to gluepot so this sounds great ! .... so i would be able to put this t thingamy on my 200-400 ?? and get a photo of the american flag they left on the moon ???? lol

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Big V on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:17 pm

Rob, your 200-400 VR will pale into insignificance when you hang your camera body of the f10 2000mm telescope!!!! and no you can't photograph the flag on the moon :), even with the 10 metre keck telescope, you can't resolve any better than about 3 metres....
Canon
Big V

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:22 pm

robw25 wrote: and get a photo of the american flag they left on the moon ???? lol

The alliens who're residing on the moon is now suing the Yank polluted their territory with all the junks and garbages which they left behind :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby robw25 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:34 pm

Big V wrote:Rob, your 200-400 VR will pale into insignificance when you hang your camera body of the f10 2000mm telescope!!!! and no you can't photograph the flag on the moon :), even with the 10 metre keck telescope, you can't resolve any better than about 3 metres....

so big v .... as i helped pay for all this stuff ( tongue in cheek ) i can borrow that f10 telescope to go to gluepot ??? LOL

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:32 pm

Rob, you are welcome to borrow it but it does weigh 35 kg... and the blue colour might clash with the black camera body..
Canon
Big V

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:05 am

Just as a by and by - I have just been reading about the cameras used on the last space junket - Kodak 760’s. That includes the pics taken of the bits flying off the shuttle :!:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Adelaide and Perth