New member from Melbourne

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New member from Melbourne

Postby goodi on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:10 am

Hi every one, just become a member today,i have been reading some postings and this sounds like the place to be,my D70 is fitted with a 70-300D zoom but i am looking for a 500 to 600mm i am into wildlife and motor sports i can not aford the nikon 600mm what do you guys think about the opteka or sigma lens for know anyway
Last edited by goodi on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goodi

Re: New member

Postby Geoff on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 am

goodi wrote:Hi every one, just become a member today,i have been reading some postings and this sounds like the place to be,my D70 is fitted with a 70-300 zoom but i am looking for a 500 to 600mm i am into wildlife and motor sports i can not aford the nikon 600mm what do you guys think about the opteka or sigma lens for know anyway

Welcome to our forum Goodi, you will be welcomed with open arms and find this place both a facinating area to both fulfil your knowledge when it comes to digital photography but it will also (if you let it) provide you with a source of new friends and comrarderie that's not often seen associated with an internet based forum!

If you could please be a little more specific with your location in your profile that would be great. It's actually now a requirement to put your location in your profile. Refer to the FAQ for more details. How long have you had your D70 for? You will find many people here have differing opinions on the sigma and opteka lenses. Welcome! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Manta on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:18 am

Welcome Goodi.

You've taken the first step and we look forawrd to seeing some of your images, when you're ready to share them with us. Don't be shy and don't ever think a question is stupid - we were all newbies once.

A big tip for first-timers: due to a vast range of topics discussed since the forum began, it's a really good idea to do a search first on anything you may like to find out about. There's a good chance your query will have already bveen answered and it saves you starting a new thread on something that's already been covered. You'll find a STACK of material regarding Sigma lenses and a little on opteka if you do a search to start with.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:58 am

Welcome.

As Geoff has mentioned, you need to be more specific in stating your location in your profile. What is required is highlighted for you in red and there is no juistification for not complying; your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

OK, you mentioned that you have a D70 with a 70-300. There are three different Nikkor 70-300 lenses, plus a Stigma, and, IIRC, a Tamron. Which of these do you have? :)

For motorsports, I'd strongly suggest either the 80-400VR or the 70-200 + TC 1.7. Nothing less will really be acceptable, and I've lost count of the number of people who have, for instance, bought the Bigma, only to then go and buy the Nikkor that they should have bought in the first instance.

But it's also important to learn how to use your equipment correctly: why do you believe that the 70-300 isn't up to the job? I agree that it's probably not, but I'd like to understand your reasoning.

And of course what sort of motorsports are you shooting? Technique plays a very large part, and the lenses are only a means to an end.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Welcome goodi - check out BBJ’s posts on racing bikes et al and you will find that for most of the time he uses the Sigma 70-200 plus teleconverter. The Nikon 80-400VR, although a very nice lens, is not the fastest for focussing. The Bigma is certainly not the lens of choice for motor racing.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby avkomp on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:23 pm

welcome to the forums.

you will find quite a lot of us nature photog wannabees have the 80-400vr which is a great lens for the money.

depending on how far you wish to get into this, get something better down the track.

steve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby barry on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Goodi, I started with the 70-300ED taking motoring shots and found it ok if you can get close enough to the track. Also like gary says get use to what you have before you go and spend the big bucks.

This is a shot i took with the 70-300ed

D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Return to Melbourne