in Melbourne and clueless

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

in Melbourne and clueless

Postby Heath Bennett on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm in Melbourne for the first time (airports dont count) and want to know if anyone can recommend enjoyable activities, places to shoot and nice restaurants.

Any info welcome as I don't know anything about this city and my borrowed GPS is quite irritating.

Thanks guys
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:48 pm

Heath, there are interseting restaurants and shops along Brunswick Street Fitzroy between Johnson Street and Alexandra Parade.

The Docklands precinct is worth a look for some photography, but in some respects is a bit sterile.

Victoria Street Richmond is the Vietnamese precinct and has great restaurants and stuff to look at - always a buzz. Also worth checking out along Bridge Road Richmond, east of Punt road, lots of restaurants and shops.

More upmarket - although not necessarily better - is Chapel Street Prahran. Not bad down the Dandenong Road end however.

Then you have St Kilda, Acland Street (Greasy Joes is a great place to eat, food good, atmosphere good) and all around.

Federation square in the city is worth a look, and along the river behind it.

Good luck.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby wendellt on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:57 pm

st kilda and prahan are the trendy areas and brunswick street has lots of old buildings

but also pay attention to all the modern street art aroudn the place especially around fed square and docklands

but i especially like the parisian type shopping arcades near little collins street

dpends on what you want to shoot
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Most enjoyable aspect of Melbourne is the flight back to Sydney (just kidding, of course).

Check out all the little laneways around Collins & Burke Streets - tiny little cafes, etc.

P
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Heath,

Restaurants ... if you want Mexican, High St in Richmond as Mexicali Rose. Excellent.

For Italian, you can't go past Lygon St in Carlton. Why would one eat anywhere else?

In Prahran, make sure you take in the Antiques Market. There's a photographic stall inside with some Bolexes and a few other goodies that will make your eyes water.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mal on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm

St Kilda, great for food, photos and fun!
Also Melbourne Zoo is worth a visit for some photography.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby Heath Bennett on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks everyone. Gary - I did find a great Italian restaurant where the food was fantastic, it was quite busy and hard to get a seat.

Will put some pics up asap
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Ronza on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:40 pm

I went to Melbourne last week rather clueless and then onto Sydney - like you, never stepped out that airport before.

Theres some pretty cool stuff around Melbourne Park if you have a few hours to walk around. That bridge for one..
Ronza

Return to Melbourne