heard a rumour

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

heard a rumour

Postby robgubiani on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:04 pm

i got told by a top photo journalist that theres a guy in melbourne that sells grey market stuff from his house. As much as i dont condone this behavior i am on a tight budget and if i can save $300 on a lens i will. Does anyone know where he is?
robgubiani

Postby Marvin on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:13 pm

This guy is sort of similar but I think he's in Sydney.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/contactus.htm
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby losfp on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 am

What's not to condone?

It's perfectly legal! :) Hell, the hardware is pretty well identical to the officially sourced Aussie versions, the only difference is in price and warranty (and sometimes not even that, as I think most lenses at least have an international warranty).

I have 4/6 lenses and 1/2 bodies that are grey stock. Nothing wrong with 'em..
losfp

Postby Onyx on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:33 am

...and the fact that he's selling from his house means he's not likely to move in a hurry.
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:19 am

I bought my grey 50mm f1.8 from a guy in Glenhuntly Road. No worries. It felt slightly non-standard (edit: the transaction, not the lens), but it was all quite legit.
Last edited by Greg B on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ajax on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:32 am

hi,

I bought a lens from this person

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tokina-ATX124-12-24mm-Nikon-mount-12-24-mm-NEW-D70s-D50_W0QQitemZ160092727954QQihZ006QQcategoryZ30067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I remember correctly, I picked it from Endeavour Hills (ignore my spelling). He also let me try it before I paid for it.

hth
Hope is immortal...
ajax

Re: heard a rumour

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:43 am

robgubiani wrote:theres a guy in melbourne that sells grey market stuff

Only the one guy?

I'll bet there are plenty.

The only people who complain about grey market stuff are, strangely, those who stand to loose their massive rip-off margins - sorry, I meant to say profits - through the activities of grey market imports.

What's the problem? The stuff is made in the same factory, to the same standards.

Sure, you don't get support from the authorised distributor, but in my experience, the level of support provided is underwhelming, so that's not exactly anything that you're going to miss.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Ivanerrol on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 am

I have done business with Photobuff and can attest he is a good reseller of grey market equipment. He will generally give a little bit extra discount for cash if you pick up from his home. He is a Canon man but does have a range of Nikon gear. His phone number is on the ebay ads. He offers up to 30 days return in certain cases.
The other Grey market dealers seem to be warehouse type dealers or one offs. Photobuff is the most consistant and reliable. (IMHO)
Ivanerrol

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:49 am

i want cheap stuff!
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby Oneputt on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:54 am

Spot on about the level of support from the major suppliers in Australia, and in particular Nikon. Nothing wrong with buying grey.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby michael_ on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

never heard of people working from home? aslong as the business is registered like others have said whats to condone?
michael_

Postby photograham on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I know of people who have visited Photo Buff (somewhere out Doveton, Melb way) and have completed successful photographic purchases of that C-c-c-c (just can't get that word out!) stuff. Clients were extremely satisfied.
photograham

Postby Hudo on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Hey,

Photobuff I have also done a lot of business with and all has been good there over the past 2 years. Endeavour Hills loaction.

Mark
Hudo

Postby robgubiani on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:37 pm

so i checked out his website and yes the prices are good but i can still get a 70 - 200 f4 L from B&H photo video from America and delivered for $751 Australian and its still $200 cheaper than here. i want to support local but sometimes you just cant.
robgubiani

Postby Hueber on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:03 am

I bought a Tokina 12-24 lens & SB600 flash from Photobuff & can also attest to it being a good deal & good to deal with. As stated he sells from his house-it keeps the prices down by not paying for rent. Don't forget if you buy direct from overseas , if you have any problems , you can't just go back to the store. I recently bought the Nikon 18-200 VR lens from a Melb retailer & exchanged it after a few days as it was woeful.Just watch the postage costs as it can add a lot to the price.
Hueber

Postby DavidF on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm afraid that my experience with PhotoBuff has been unsatisfactory, and unless you can pick the goods up in person, I would be very wary of purchasing goods from this firm.

My experience with them was that a HOYA 58mm Pro 1 CPL I purchased was mailed in a regular paper envelope (the sort used for general letters). I was charged $7.49 ex GST for delivery and registered post, and I expected that the goods would be appropriately packaged, eg. in an inexpensive small padded envelope, or similar. The paper envelope was insufficient and was not designed to take the contents, so not surprisingly the flimsy envelope arrived with a large gaping rip in the front and rear of the envelope. The rip was so extensive that it was not necessary for me to open the envelope to examine my purchase, instead I retrieved the filter through the gaping hole in the paper! When I contacted Zoran about the matter, he made no apology for the use of the paper envelope, so this indicates this is standard of 'packaging' you can expect.

It is a joke to see on their website... "and we use a variety of packaging materials to protect the products you've ordered. "
DavidF

Postby Flatpick on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:14 pm

I have bought several items and have had no problems with Zoran.

The only people who complain about grey market stuff are, strangely, those who stand to loose their massive rip-off margins - sorry, I meant to say profits - through the activities of grey market imports.....

Totally agree with Gary's comment above, hundred's of dollars is better in my pocket than their's, and often you are talking in the thousand's :up:
Flatpick

Postby DavidF on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Flatpick wrote:I have bought several items and have had no problems with Zoran.

The only people who complain about grey market stuff are, strangely, those who stand to loose their massive rip-off margins - sorry, I meant to say profits - through the activities of grey market imports.....

Totally agree with Gary's comment above, hundred's of dollars is better in my pocket than their's, and often you are talking in the thousand's :up:

Actually, I have purchased a number of grey market items over the years, including body, lens, flash :) Whilst I can't recommend PhotoBuff (as per my previous post), I have used another grey market fellow who I can recommend - http://www.camerasdirect.com.au
DavidF

Postby photograham on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 pm

I have visited Photo Buff at his home in Endeavour Hills, and found him very helpful. Others in the same camera club have also visited him and done business. On ebay, he also give his phone number, so you can always give him a ring if the need be.
photograham

Postby chewlinyip on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 am

i've just looked up "photobuff" on ebay. Seems like he doesn't have anything for sale andhasn't sold anything since dec.

Does he have an equiptment list or other website? is he still around or offline?
chewlinyip

Postby Ivanerrol on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Don't think he has been in business for nearly 5 months or more. - October last year. - Maybe the new fleabay fee structure finally got to him.
Ivanerrol

Postby Onyx on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Holy thread ressurection batman! Started eleven months ago... tho I gotta commend DavidF for making use of the site's 'search' functionality - which Gary claims is working now... ;)
Onyx

Postby chewlinyip on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 am

DavidF wrote:Actually, I have purchased a number of grey market items over the years, including body, lens, flash :) Whilst I can't recommend PhotoBuff (as per my previous post), I have used another grey market fellow who I can recommend - http://www.camerasdirect.com.au

Hi DAv.

Are you sure they are grey imports, on the website it says the products have australian warranty and offer extended warranties on the cameras? :chook:
chewlinyip

Postby whitey on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:13 am

chewlinyip wrote:
DavidF wrote:Actually, I have purchased a number of grey market items over the years, including body, lens, flash :) Whilst I can't recommend PhotoBuff (as per my previous post), I have used another grey market fellow who I can recommend - http://www.camerasdirect.com.au

Hi DAv.

Are you sure they are grey imports, on the website it says the products have australian warranty and offer extended warranties on the cameras? :chook:

Check the warranty link https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index. ... /index.php Australian warranty is with Camerasdirect.com.au not with Nikon Australia - this is pretty standard for grey improrters. Extended warranties are available on grey imports - again they are not with Nikon Australaia but with some third party ie Mack.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby chewlinyip on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm

aahhh thanx deadgoose you right :cheers:

Soooo does anyone know anyone else in greater Melbourne that offer a similar grey pick up service?
chewlinyip

Postby PossumCorner on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 am

Photobuff was never closed. For quick contact it's best to ring the mobile number. The numbers are in the 'Contact Us' page on Photobuff's website (which is running fine). They have just moved house but for sure are still in Endeavour Hills and they will give you the new address over the phone. We've always had great service and help there for Nikon cameras, lenses, filters, Lowepro bags etc. If there was a very short closedown, it would have been just the days they were moving the house and business.

I've seen their day's mail and Courier collection going out and everything looked really well and safely packaged, so not good to read someone had a bad experience, I'd reckon that was a really bad luck "one-off" from what I've seen. We pick up there, as we don't live too far away.

I don't know how grey it is, they certainly look after Nikon repairs etc direct with Nikon not through a middle handler or agent so are quick. And yes fair discount for cash against ebay prices.
PossumCorner

Postby Greg B on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:48 pm

Not quite what you are asking, but I bought a MC-36 from
http://thatsverynice.com.au/store/
last month. I can only attest to that single transaction, but it was flawless.

And the item was a very good price (around $30 cheaper than camerasdirect)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Chaase on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 pm

As with others I have no hesitation in recommending Photobuff.
I purchased my cameras, a couple of lenses, Flash, remote etc from him.

I collected the items from Endeavour Hills without any issues.

Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby mickb on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:26 am

I cannot recommend Photobuff at all. I put a friend of them onto them after having another friend tell me how good they were.

He purchased a D200 off them around September last year, within a week of purchasing it he went overseas for a couple of weeks. While he was over there the A/F failed on the camera, so he returned it to P/B and they had to send it overseas for repair....They DO NOT have any sort of arrangement with Nikon Australia. To cut a long story short, he still does not have his camera back (6 months later) and the guys down at P/B will not return his calls or emails.

If they really wanted to show good support after that short period of time, they would have replaced the body and all would have been good. I think a lot of Grey Market guys are great until you need repairs done.

As far as support by Nikon (can't speak for Canon) I get excellent support from NPS, so I can't complain about them. I will and have purchase lenses from Grey Market, as Nikon will still honour the warantee on those, but not on the bodies.

**UPDATE**
After still not receiving callbacks or returned emails, my ever so patient friend sent them a legal letter of demand. Within a week his camera re-appeared repaired, but with no note of explanation or apology. Just the camera in a box.

In the meantime, I had a 70-200 go faulty after 4 years of extremely hard use. I sent it to NPS (Nikon Pro Services), within a day I got a call to say a board had gone faulty (I thought oh great this is going to cost a bomb), they told me that they had it in stock, and were replacing it free of charge (after 4 years), all they charged me was freight and a small labour component. While they had the lens, they gave me a loaner at no charge as well. Compare the scenario's.
Last edited by mickb on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickb

Postby _robbo_ on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:29 am

hmmm i love cheap stuff
_robbo_

Return to Melbourne