Heading South of the Border - 27th

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Heading South of the Border - 27th

Postby dviv on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm heading down to Melbourne for work from the 27th to the 29th of August.

I'll be staying in the city (Hyatt) but was wondering if anyone has any good tips for photography around the city. I'll have the evenings and lunch time to get snap-happy :D

Thanks

David
dviv

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am

Which Hyatt David?

Check out the laneways like Degraves Street, Manchester Lane which are off Flinders Lane (between Swanston and Elizabeth Streets). You can check out the usual Southbank and Crown promenade haunts as well if you head south on Swanston street. Federation Square is also around there (corner of Flinders St and Swanston St).

Cheers,

Wayne
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby dviv on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks for the tips Wayne,

Didn't realise there were two - It's the Grand Hyatt on Collins street :-)
dviv

Postby Louie on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi,

Have been pondering places to go and pretty much came up with what Wayne did. This city is full of hiding places, just going for an unplanned wander can present a lot of photo ops.

Depending on how much time you have/ transport available/ what you like shooting - Port Melbourne can be good, as can St Kilda. Or the Botanic Gardens if you like nature pics, which is much closer being essentially just across from Fed Square.

Hope you have fun despite the work, bring a jumper or three.

Cheers
Elena
Elena
Louie

Postby dviv on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks Elena

Botanic Gardens sounds good! Thanks for the other tips too.

Is it worth heading down to the MCG? Can you see anything from the outside?

Thanks again

David
dviv

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 pm

My wife works at the Grand Hyatt ;) If you order room service, don't give 'em too much grief...oh and wear clothes as well. You'd be amazed at the amount of guests who answer the door with no pants on :evil: :roll:

Don't expect to cover all of melbourne within the two days btw :) There are a lots of nooks and crannies which not a lot of people realise...heck I'm still finding out about them :) I'll let you know closer to the dates if I can meet up - looks promising for now :D
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby dviv on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 pm

PiroStitch wrote:My wife works at the Grand Hyatt ;) If you order room service, don't give 'em too much grief...oh and wear clothes as well. You'd be amazed at the amount of guests who answer the door with no pants on :evil: :roll:

HAHAHA I'll keep that in mind! I must say the staff there are some of the best I have dealt with in Australia. Much better than the Stamford :roll:

I'll be going out with some mates on Tuesday night so I'll be focusing on the lunch hours to take some piccies.
dviv

Return to Melbourne