passionately disappointed

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

passionately disappointed

Postby brentsky on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi All,

I'd just finished a roll of agfa b&w in a Nikon F2 AS (with great 55mm f/1.2) for a portfolio im working on to be submitted next week. I had dropped the roll off yesterday evening at a well-known camera retailer/lab in elizabeth st, Melbourne, relying on the 'pro lab' to develop it for the weekend as I could work on my prints.

I received a call midday today to tell me that due to error, the film had been ruined by the chemicals and hence all frames were lost. Although apologetic, the employee informed me that these things happen and legally I am entitled to be compensated only with another roll of film.

I was shattered. A matter of weeks I spent working on those shots just to be destroyed by a trusted lab. I insisted that a roll of film cannot compensate the time, effort, and energy I spent creating the images. I was unimpressed by the lack of professionalism of the lab manager and needless to say, quite upset with the situation.

Understandably there's nothing I can do to regain the frames, but I feel the lab should take more responsibility in similar situations should they happen again. I hope they don't. Needless to say I will never go there again.

Where can I go to get true black and white developed in melbourne?

Brentsky
brentsky

Re: passionately disappointed

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Sadly, this is quite typical in the industry. You may have been on an overseas trip, made lots of images, only to have the images screwed up by negligence or an accident in the lab. They're not going to pay for you to go back overseas either.

I think it's very wrong. I think it's a disgusting cop-out on the part of the labs.

I think the industry should be ashamed of itself for failing to take responsibility for its actions. As you say, totally unprofessional!

Please feel free to name them, if you wish, so that others here may be suitably warned. The lab, of course, is welcome to come here and state their case, and to try to defend the indefensible.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:42 am

My sympathies to you Brent, please do name them, but as much of a cop out as this is, there really is nothing that can be done to regain those frames.

I do all my own B&W but those days are coming to an end as it will be harder for me to get darkroom access now that i am not at the uni anymore.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby brentsky on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

thanks for the replies and sympathy cam and gary.

im trying not to think about it now and concentrate on making further images.

the lab was michaels on elizabeth st. i really hope this doesn't happen to anyone on this forum.

b
brentsky

Postby Wink on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

gstark wrote:Please feel free to name them, if you wish, so that others here may be suitably warned. The lab, of course, is welcome to come here and state their case, and to try to defend the indefensible.

I must say i find this rather refreshing in this day and age!
I'm a moderator on a very popular automotive site and as soon as someone posts a negative comment the company it was aimed at is threatening legal action for slander! These days it's unfortunately a matter of post your praise and keep your horror stories to yourself. It's just wrong!

Anyway...
I really feel for you. It must churn your gut to know that they're gone and there's nothing you can do. Mistakes do happen and it's a shame in this case they've had such an effect.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby DanW on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:46 pm

My sympathies too.

I had a similar issue many years ago with a lab in Canberra when processing films for an assignment. It was obvious when I looked at the negatives they handed back that some water or other chemical had be dripped onto the film. Where I lost it was when the person (obviously NOT a photographer) behind the counter said it was my fault as it was clear to them that I must have accidentally exposed the film to light when handling it! It was a complete joke. After complaining for a while they eventually offered me a free roll of film and processing for the next time but I never went back. Couldn't risk it.

Thankfully I had an understanding lecturer who gave me an extra week to do the assignment all over again.
Dan
Nikon D700 and a whole lot o' lenses
DanW

Postby Matt. K on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:36 pm

brentsky
Learn to process your own film. It's very easy to do and you will do a much better job than any lab. All you need is a Patterson film tank, a couple of adjustable reels, a thermometer and 2 chemicals. You will need to load the tank in a dark room (at night). There are no degrees of dark. It either is or isn't. Once the film is safely in the tank then you do everything else with the lights on.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 am

Matt. K wrote:You will need to load the tank in a dark room (at night). There are no degrees of dark. It either is or isn't.

Personally, I always used a changing bag (a special lightproof bag with armholes)
- picture here
and I used that in a fairly dark room. You need to practice first with with some spare unimportant
film (if "spare" film even exists anymore :? )

Developing is a simple process, but you must have fresh chemicals, your solutions must be at the correct
temperature (with only narrow tolerances), and you must have accurate timing (a stop watch is useful).

It requires precision.

Having said all of that, it isn't that hard, you just have to do everything properly, or you will end up in the same
situation you are now.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby colin_12 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:53 am

Doing your own developing also means that you only have youself to blame if there is a stuff up.
At least you will learn from any mistakes and not just try to fob it off onto someone else. :cheers:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Greg B on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:08 am

colin_12 wrote:Doing your own developing also means that you only have youself to blame if there is a stuff up.
At least you will learn from any mistakes and not just try to fob it off onto someone else. :cheers:

I reckon that if the lab ruins your film, you are not trying to "fob it off onto someone else", it is
the lab's fault 100%, and there is not a damn thing you could have done.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am

Matt. K wrote:You will need to load the tank in a dark room (at night).

Or just buy a change bag.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:53 pm

My sympathies. This sounds like a human error. [Which is known to happen and sometimes happens outside of photo labs].

brentsky wrote:im trying not to think about it now and concentrate on making further images.

Everytime you think about it in a angry or sad way, you let them ruin your film. Again; and again....

Put this behind you. Go out and take even better photos. :cheers:
surenj

Postby Ant on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:34 pm

brentsky wrote:

Where can I go to get true black and white developed in melbourne?

Brentsky

The photographer that did my wedding (and is a personal friend) does all his processing through CPL labs in St Kilda: http://www.cpldigital.com.au/ I was impressed with the quality of their work, but then I have been digital for so long I may be easily impressed :evil: .

Ant.

ps. do I need to put a disclaimer in here about having no association with this company? :evil:
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Postby Matt. K on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Or buy a change bag....or load in a dark room (at night). The other option is to close your eyes whilst loading the tank. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Matt. K wrote:Or buy a change bag....or load in a dark room (at night). The other option is to close your eyes whilst loading the tank. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Of course, you could do it on the night of a full moon. We all know moonlight won't fog film, unless oyu are a werewolf of course :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Glen on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:16 pm

Brentsky, I can feel your pain. We all full well know nothing would compensate you for lost images but it is a bit surprising they only offered one roll. You would have thought an apology and a dozen rolls rather than an apology and rundown on their legal obligations! I hope you manage to capture some equally good images again.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby surenj on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Glen wrote:bit surprising they only offered one roll

I haven't checked lately but hasn't film gone up in price?
surenj

Return to Melbourne