Wireless transmitter as a master

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wireless transmitter as a master

Postby Kreapen on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 pm

Hey guys.

Has anyone used the wireless transmitters as a master unit going to a built in slave on a flashgun?

If so how did you find it on sync timing?
Kreapen

Re: Wireless transmitter as a master

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am

I'm not sure that I understand this question.

I have a wireless trigger, as well as some receivers. The receivers attach to strobe heads that I wish you use as slaves.

None of my heads have built-in wireless receivers, and thus at least one is required.

For those strobes, many of the heads have an optical trigger, and that will be triggered automagically when one of the other strobes goes off.

So ... wireless (RF) trigger on the camera sets off one slave (with a receiver), and that light, by virtue of it being triggered, in turn triggers the optical circuitry of all of the other lights.

Sync is merely a matter of setting the camera's shutter speed to an appropriate setting, and the only issues that I've seen in this realm have been due to user error, or a failure of the RF trigger.

I don't know how well, if at all, this answers your question, but then again, and as I said, I'm not sure what your question is. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Kreapen on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Sorry Gstark, should have been more specific.

Canon 580 EXII and 430 EXII both have slave components build into the flash that don't need a receiver.. only a master... or thats how i understand it?

Was wondering if it needs the genuine canon sender?
Kreapen

Postby Big V on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Yes, you will need the Canon ST2 to do this or use one of the flash guns. The wireless triggers willl not fire the Canon flash.
Canon
Big V

Postby surenj on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:29 pm

I am still not understanding your question Kreapan but the 580EX can be used on camera to trigger a 430EX off camera in TTL mode but not vice versa.

The STE2 trasmitter can work as the master but it doesn't have a flash tube [hence it's cheaper].

There are many limitations to this system and I suggest that you read the strobist website carefully before making up your mind.
surenj

Return to Equipment Reviews