Which tripod and head to buy

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Which tripod and head to buy

Postby ian.bertram on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for a tripod for my canon 40d and various lenses. As I'm traveling overseas soon weight is a major issue. I was looking at the Manfrotto 199 and 550 carbon fibre models. Anyone used these? Should I be looking at others. And the big question, what about the head. I'm not a millionaire and would like to keep things around (or under) $600. Any suggestions?
Much appreciated.
ian.bertram

Re: Which tripod and head to buy

Postby aim54x on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Ian, firstly....WELCOME TO DSLRUSERS.COM!

Just a few house keeping issues - please put a meaningful location into your profile as this will allow members to help you better (being close to people means being able to handle the gear that your interested in....and makes advice more meaningful location wise).

I will assume you are looking at the 190CXF and the 055CXF series tripods...these will chew up most of budget but IMHO are very much worth the expense. There are a few alternatives available - Giottos (they make some good Carbon Fibre tripods and decent ball heads - cheaper than the best but still very sturdy from what I have seen), Benro (a lot of members do like them and they are competitive in pricing).

As for a HEAD....this is an area that I am evaluating at the moment as I am finding my Manfrotto 322RC2 a bit lacking in my needs. I would probably recommend a Ball head due to the advantages in size and ease of use but there is a range available. If you are considering Manfrotto then consider the 488RC2...but that is the only thing that comes to mind that I would consider in your price range.

Hope someone else can help you more
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ian.bertram on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:01 am

Thanks for the super quick reply.
I have updated my profile and added my location etc. Really great site- hope I can contribute just a little as well as learn heaps from everyone here.
ian.bertram

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 am

ian.bertram wrote: hope I can contribute just a little as well as learn heaps from everyone here.

That's what we're all about here, Ian. Thanx for the kind words, and as Cameron said, welcome.

In CF, your budget will be tight, but with careful purchasing, might be achievable.

You mentioned "various lenses" on the 40D. Are you able to be more specific please? Also - and I sense that you already understand this point - you should try to factor in your future lens acquisitions as well as what you currently have.

Consider the physical differences between, say, a 50mm f/1.8 as against something like a 70-200 f/2.8. You need to try to ensure that what you buy will accommodate your bigger glass. After all, that is one of the primary reasons for buying a tripod and head, right?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby binny on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 am

are SLIK any good I have one and thought it was good value @ $375 its a SLIK pro 813 CF 11 :?:
binny

Postby ian.bertram on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:33 pm

I have a 50mm 1.8, a 100 macro (love this lens), a 17-85 is usm and a 70-200 is usm, all Canon. If I get another lens it will be a longer lens, so, you're right, I need something sturdy. The budget is not really a limitation as I can go higher if I need to. What I really need is something light to travel with. I work with a group of young performers (singers) who are touring Japan later this year so I will want something that I can use in the theatres they perform at. I usually shoot during dress rehearsals so getting up close isn't too much of an issue, just the lower light with the 100mm needs a tripod- hence I thought carbon fibre was the way to go (sturdy but light enough to cart around Japan). And, yes, I do have a remote trigger (cable, not radio).

As far as SLIK are concerned I haven't really looked at them, I was just really looking at the Manfrotto's. I'll check them out, thanks.
ian.bertram

Postby big pix on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 pm

....... i was going to say http://photovideo.com.au/-c-526.html as this head is fantastic and very lightweight, but after re-reading your post I guess it is a tad too expensive for your budget
Last edited by big pix on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32 pm

I would pop into 'THE PHOTO SHOP' in Liverpool st (city) and check out the Benro tripods and ball heads. They are excellent value for money and fine tripods. From memory I think the ST number is 72 or similar.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Equipment Reviews