Backdrop Stand and Backdrop

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Backdrop Stand and Backdrop

Postby craig.rohse on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Looking to buy a Backdrop Stand with Backdrop and have found this one for under a hundred bucks.(from China)
Has anyone got a similar one at home and are they good enough for home use?
Maybe there are some cheap Aussie deals somewhere out there?
I would love to hear your opinion!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Photo-Studio-Background-Support-Free-Backdrop-7-x10_W0QQitemZ250516303292QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item3a53ef6dbc#shId
"Old school" (Olympus OM 1&2SP )
craig.rohse

Re: Backdrop Stand and Backdrop

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Craig, while I have no experience with this backdrop etc, I think this is a very cheap way to get started. I doubt you will get any thing cheaper than this in Australia. Infact, I have seen muslin backdrops going for twice this price.

Just make sure that this size is a standard one if you need to add any more colours as you go.

If you wanted a pitch black backdrop, you won't need this as you can just underexpose by 3 stops and have the backround far away from the subject.

You might need this for seamless white type of setup however paper maybe the go there as there will be no creasing. Is this stand compatible with paper if need be?
surenj

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm

This is very bloody cheap, and as Suren suggests, I doubt that you'll see anything cheaper locally.

My concerns would be mainly about the strength and weight bearing ability of the stands, the width, and the height. While the strength and weight are not really the sorts of questions you can ask (what will be the reliability of the answers you get?) you can certainly ask about the height and width, which will give you a good guide as to how usable these will be. The greater the height (8ft minimum), and a width of at least 9 ft should be satisfactory.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:30 pm

...... I use a similar setup I have had for years using Barton stands and 2 piece cross bar...... the only thing I have added would be 2x sand bags or lead shot bags on the stand legs for a touch more stable unit.....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby devilla101 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I have very similar looking one (except my crossbar you can push and pull to get the required length) and the only problem is that its very flimsy and can be knocked down if someone is careless.
devilla101

Return to Equipment Reviews