M42 lenses

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

M42 lenses

Postby dervish16 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I started looking into M42 lenses a while ago and ordered a Praktica super TL with a Pentacon 1.8/50 and then that lead to getting a Zenit E with a Helios 44-2 2/58 and came with a 3x teleconverter too and then got a zorki 4 with jupiter 8 2/50 lens but it's a M39 mount. I have received the Pentacon and Helios.

The quality of the two are average and nothing exceptional but the controls are nice and easy to use and the all metal build makes it hard to ever buy a plastic lens again.

Firstly the Pentacon 1.8/50
It is a fun lens but would like more sharpness and less noise for a prime. Having to Manuel focus, set aperture, and set shutter speed is good and challenging but can get tedious. Not being able to focus further then around 4 meters because of the M42 to nikon mount moving the lens a tiny bit away from the sensor makes it a bit impractical but overall a great lens to have and good for a bit of fun.

Here are some test images:
ImageImage

This is what it looks like:

The problem I had with the pentacon was attaching it to my D90 as the pentacon has a depth of field preview button and has a little piece of metal that sticks out on the mount. So when I screwed it into my d90 it would hit something. I tried sticky taping it down but it popped back out after a while. If I screw the M42 to nikon mount in first when I attach it to the d90 I can't properly twist lock the mount in as the pentacon will twist and unscrew from the mount. Any solutions? Also found it annoying to have to push the depth of field button every time I changed the aperture from 1.8.

Helios 44-2 2/58
I prefer this lens over the Pentacon accept one advantage the Pentacon has is a min focus distance of 0.33 which is impressive. Haven't looked into the sharpness of the Helios yet but what I like about it is the helios effect. The bokeh has a swirly look and it's so different.

Here are some test images of my dog with it.

ImageImage

Went for a walk to pick up a M39 to nikon filter (for the Jupiter 8 ) from the post office. Was a bit of a trek for just a adapter and it was pouring rain but took some images on the way with the helios:

ImageImage

Both these lenses are manuel focus so soon I will be getting a Tenpa 1.36x eyepiece magnifier which should help significantly.

As fun and as different these lenses are I wouldn't see them as a replacement for AI-S Nikon lenses as they just aren't practical for general use but you have to remember how cheap they are and I was able to get the Praktica for around $15 and the Helios for $25. I have no regret in buying them and I am sure I will get great use out of them.

I also have a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 lens coming and that will be my main nifty fifty (fiftyeight) I will use. It is a all metal build, made in japan, can meter with the any nikon camera (Nikon AI-S version) and only has manuel focus (I think it's great to only use mf). From all the reviews I have read it seems to be a great lens and a cheaper option for the Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 ZF yet have similar image quality and construction. I have to thank aim54x for recommending it to me.
Last edited by dervish16 on Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dervish16

Re: M42 lenses

Postby mattyshea on Tue May 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Interesting read Chris. Thanks for taking time out and sharing your experience. I have my m42 lens coming soon I hope and its nice to know what to expect. I love the last shot how the ground seems like its swirling around in a circle. Nice effect from that lens. Congratulations on your purchase of the voigtlander as well. seems like a great lens that should last a life time. cheers
mattyshea

Postby aim54x on Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Great to see some photos with alternative lenses....Photomarcs will be drooling, maybe this will mean he will post some of his alternative experiments with the GF1!

dervish16 wrote:I also have a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 lens coming and that will be my main nifty fifty (fiftyeight) I will use. It is a all metal build, made in japan, can meter with the any nikon camera (Nikon AI-S version) and only has manuel focus (I think it's great to only use mf). From all the reviews I have read it seems to be a great lens and a cheaper option for the Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 ZF yet have similar image quality and construction. I have to thank aim54x for recommending it to me.

You will enjoy that little Voigtlander....my urge to bite the bullet and grab one is very strong at present. But then again I still have a nice package on the way..
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

mattyshea wrote:Interesting read Chris.

Thanks Matt. Can't wait to see your Takamur.

aim54x wrote: You will enjoy that little Voigtlander....my urge to bite the bullet and grab one is very strong at present. But then again I still have a nice package on the way..

Thanks again for the great recommendation and I will surely let you know on my opinion of it and maybe write a review. What package have you got coming?
dervish16

Postby biggerry on Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 pm

dervish16 wrote:Zenit E with a Helios 44-2 2/58 and came with a 3x teleconverter too and then got a zorki 4 with jupiter 8 2/50 lens but it's a M39 mount. I have received the Pentacon and Helios.

That spun me out when I read that - though i was one some star trek forum ! I honestly have no idea about these lens - however I appreciate the review and feel more enlightened for reading teh entire thing.

Great post and and useful resource for people lookign at these lens. 3 thumbs up.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm

dervish16 wrote:Thanks again for the great recommendation and I will surely let you know on my opinion of it and maybe write a review. What package have you got coming?

It will be interesting to see what you think of that Nokton 58. I certainly like it, as does Malificent Muse (Alfred). I am not going to reveal what is in my package yet....im excited but it is not glass nor camera so most of you will probably be not so interested.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm

biggerry wrote:
dervish16 wrote:Zenit E with a Helios 44-2 2/58 and came with a 3x teleconverter too and then got a zorki 4 with jupiter 8 2/50 lens but it's a M39 mount. I have received the Pentacon and Helios.

That spun me out when I read that - though i was one some star trek forum ! I honestly have no idea about these lens - however I appreciate the review and feel more enlightened for reading teh entire thing.

Great post and and useful resource for people lookign at these lens. 3 thumbs up.

For the unaware you are spot on! It does sound very intergalatic!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 pm

biggerry wrote:That spun me out when I read that - though i was one some star trek forum ! I honestly have no idea about these lens - however I appreciate the review and feel more enlightened for reading teh entire thing.

Thanks Gerry. I find this forum useful in learning about new gear and though I could give back by helping others researching about M42 lenses as there isn't much out there.

aim54x wrote:I am not going to reveal what is in my package yet

Lee filters? mac laptop? printer?
Well that's my guesses, now I will just have to wait and see.
dervish16

Postby aim54x on Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 pm

You have me looking at M42 Russian!!!

But my heart tells me I shouldnt spend the money on that stuff, I will just end up with even more kit
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 am

aim54x wrote:You have me looking at M42 Russian!!!
But my heart tells me I shouldnt spend the money on that stuff, I will just end up with even more kit

They are worth getting as they don't cost much and can give great images and you can learn a lot. Just don't spend too much on them. The pentacon is actually made in east Germany. Have a look at this discussion:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/m42/discuss/72157623041357931/
dervish16

Postby aim54x on Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 am

dervish16 wrote:They are worth getting as they don't cost much and can give great images and you can learn a lot. Just don't spend too much on them. The pentacon is actually made in east Germany. Have a look at this discussion:

Thanks for the link! I am not sure I need more lenses to congest my 50mm range (currently Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D with the possibility of a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4), but that Helios 44-2/44-3 sure looks tempting atm, and they are really cheap!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Wed May 25, 2011 3:42 pm

biggerry wrote:That spun me out when I read that - though i was one some star trek forum ! I honestly have no idea about these lens - however I appreciate the review and feel more enlightened for reading teh entire thing.

:rotfl2:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

aim54x wrote:
dervish16 wrote:They are worth getting as they don't cost much and can give great images and you can learn a lot. Just don't spend too much on them. The pentacon is actually made in east Germany. Have a look at this discussion:

Thanks for the link! I am not sure I need more lenses to congest my 50mm range (currently Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D with the possibility of a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4), but that Helios 44-2/44-3 sure looks tempting atm, and they are really cheap!

:oops: I broke down...and ordered the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II.......now I really dont need a Helios 44-2/44-3
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Thu May 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Just an update for those considering getting a M42 lens, I just read this on another flickr forum:

"Oh and a word of warning, if your digital camera requires an adaptor with a lens in for M42, such as nikon, it's not worth trying the Helios. Wide open the adaptors lens causes refraction and a softening of the image that makes it look almost dreamlike. M42 as a whole on nikon is a waste of time. "
www.flickr.com/groups/helios44/discuss/ ... 695138159/

That explains the softness. If you use canon it is better but for nikon the problem with M42 lenses is the distance from the sensor is too far out and for it to work properly the lens would have to attach inside the mount.

I also recommend getting a hood for the helios 44-2 as it's only single coated and suffers from flare.
dervish16

Postby dervish16 on Thu May 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Been testing the lenses out more and am liking them more and more. The sharpness is actually pretty good and notices a significant difference when stopping down the aperture from its widest. The Helios at f2 is very soft but once stopped down to f2.8 it is significantly sharper and at f4 it is great. This is the same with the Pentacon but it handles its widest aperture better then the Helios and has a more gradual change. The Pentacon is much sharper then the Helios but the Helios has a more interesting bokeh. One significant thing I noticed is that they suffer from flare. This is because they don't have any multi coatings and when shooting wide open it is increased. Although an easy solution to just get a screw in lens hood off ebay for $4 haha.
dervish16

Postby aim54x on Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Any more images to share?
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 pm

aim54x wrote:Any more images to share?

Not at the moment sorry, as I have been busy studying for my uni exams.

The Voigtlander hasn't come yet but the seller is contacting the post office now to see where it is.
dervish16

Postby aim54x on Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am

dervish16 wrote:The Voigtlander hasn't come yet but the seller is contacting the post office now to see where it is.

My Voigtlander should arrive tomorrow, or Wednesday! I should check to see where my other package is though....
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Tue May 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I got my Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 today and all I can say is wow! I can't describe how incredible it is. :mrgreen: The images are so sharp I can't handle it. The focus ring is so smooth and the whole build quality is perfect. It works perfectly with my Nikon D90 as well. I will put test images up later but might start a new topic for it as it isn't related to M42 lenses. Also got some sunrise shots few days ago I might upload.
dervish16

Postby biggerry on Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

dervish16 wrote:I got my Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 today and all I can say is wow! I can't describe how incredible it is. :mrgreen: The images are so sharp I can't handle it. The focus ring is so smooth and the whole build quality is perfect. It works perfectly with my Nikon D90 as well. I will put test images up later but might start a new topic for it as it isn't related to M42 lenses. Also got some sunrise shots few days ago I might upload.

I want to buy one just cause teh cool name - plus is manual focus.. I look forward to some images chris.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 am

biggerry wrote:
dervish16 wrote:I got my Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 today and all I can say is wow! I can't describe how incredible it is. :mrgreen: The images are so sharp I can't handle it. The focus ring is so smooth and the whole build quality is perfect. It works perfectly with my Nikon D90 as well. I will put test images up later but might start a new topic for it as it isn't related to M42 lenses. Also got some sunrise shots few days ago I might upload.

I want to buy one just cause teh cool name - plus is manual focus.. I look forward to some images chris.

You want one Gerry!
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews