Nikon FT-1

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon FT-1

Postby Mj on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Ok... Ok... I've always said 'choose a system and stick with it...' so now I find myself with Nikon dslr, Fuji mirrorless and now a Nikon mirrorless (V1).
In my defence all three have their place... the V1 video modes and 60 fps will have their time and place and the price was (let's face it) rather good.
The Fuji image IQ is still superior for many general applications in the field but has lousy video and can't beat 60 fps and I'd always opt for my Dslr for studio work.
I have, and use quite a bit, a cheap adapter for Nikon glass on the Fuji (though it doesn't allow legacy rings to operate which is a pain).

So now I'm looking for the same with the V1... seems the FT-1 must be gold plated and something pretty special for a simple spacer !!!
Has any one managed to source one of these at a sensible price??? I 'm not inclined to double the cost of a cheap throw out system with the price of a simple adapter.
If necessary I'll wait 6 months for it to come up as throw out stock but it would be nice to have one sooner.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Re: Nikon FT-1

Postby aim54x on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm

I have had one for over a year....I was very disappointing initially, but since the last firmware update it has become something quite useful. The FT-1 leaves you with only one AF point (bore-sight) but the AF speed is not reasonable. As for waiting for them to go on sale...i dont think it will happen as they didn't seem to have many available in Australia at any point in time. I picked mine up in HK when I was over there in March 2012 (about AUD 250 at the time). I am not sure how much circuitry is behind the adapter but it seems to be a bit more than a simple spacer, there is simply too much heft in it and the EXIF info records the lenses used (in LR they appear different to the same lens used on a different body).

I would probably suggest that you if you can get the lens you want natively then go down that road...the 18.5mm f/1.8 (50mm equiv) is very nice.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mj on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 pm

aim54x wrote:The FT-1 leaves you with only one AF point (bore-sight) but the AF speed is not reasonable.

I assume you meant 'AF speed is quite reasonable' ???

I'm really not wanting to find myself with yet another set of lens... I'll happily just use the V1 for the odd happy snap with the 10-30mm, where the video and fast shutter adds value... the adapter would then provide some extra range (thinking of 200mm/f2.8 lens @ 2.7 crop).

Might have to just wait and see if any pop up on the fleabay or similar.
Mj

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Mick,

To use the FT-1 with most FX or DX glass, you will also need to use a tripod, such is the extent of the magnification involved.

Cheers
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Gary,

You suggesting that hand holding at 500mm+ equivalent FOV might not be the best approach???

Perhaps if I brush up on my technique??? :chook:

Seriously though I would only be using such a setup with a gimbal head in mind.

Thinking applications such as video of surfing using 400fps at say 540mm or 810mm f/2.8 maybe.
Mj

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Mj wrote:
aim54x wrote:The FT-1 leaves you with only one AF point (bore-sight) but the AF speed is not reasonable.

I assume you meant 'AF speed is quite reasonable' ???

Yes....I think I edited that post one too many times.

I use my FT-1 for Macro work (DX 40mm is great hand held) and to create silly long lenses. If you have VR it still functions, but Gary is on the money when he says bolt it to a tripod, esp if it is long and heavy.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

:)

I'm not sure that even a gimbal head would be ideal, but it would certainly be worth a shot.

Bear in mind that you're facing two issues here: the obvious one of course is the 2.7 crop factor.

But that brings to bear the smaller viewfinder and sensor size, and with the high magnification factors involved, following moving subjects within the smaller viewing window could add some extra interest into the process for you.

Certainly worth a shot, and most definitely it will be a great learning experience for you.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 pm

gstark wrote::)

I'm not sure that even a gimbal head would be ideal, but it would certainly be worth a shot.

Bear in mind that you're facing two issues here: the obvious one of course is the 2.7 crop factor.

But that brings to bear the smaller viewfinder and sensor size, and with the high magnification factors involved, following moving subjects within the smaller viewing window could add some extra interest into the process for you.

Certainly worth a shot, and most definitely it will be a great learning experience for you.

All that understood... and if I can do so at a reasonable price I just might... given it might be less than a success it needs to be cheap.
Given Cameron has an FT-1 it might be something to try at a meet in the near future.... just a thought.
Mj

Return to Equipment Reviews