First Images for Critique... On the Farm

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First Images for Critique... On the Farm

Postby Jennaferney on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am revisiting photography and let me tell you, it's like starting from scratch all over again. I am working with computer editing programs for the first time so it's a bit hit and miss at the moment. Thought I would share a couple of my first shots to start off with. And so here is our day on the farm yesterday...

It took a bit of work getting this little guy into the crush but he made it

And, finally, branding before going off to the sales

Thanks to my Dad, Craig (vtr) for the tips...
Jennaferney

Re: First Images for Critique... On the Farm

Postby Geoff M on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Jenna

Welcome to DSLR users. If you want image critique please post larger versions, the ones shown are just too small, especially for my old eyes!

You also need to add a location to your profile before a Mod comes along and reprimands you (see the pink bit 'Forum rules' up above).

Enjoy your time here and if the old man can't help you out with any photography problems, there is always plenty of good advice around here from seasoned professionals.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby aim54x on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 pm

i love hte first image I am definitely looking forward to following your journey through photography
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Jennaferney on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks!
I have now added my location. I was unsure how to add larger pictures but have been shown how now. :)
Jennaferney

Postby Jennaferney on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm

is that a little better?
Jennaferney

Postby Geoff M on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Jennaferney wrote:is that a little better?

Much better :D

I like the branding shot as a documentary image. Perhaps a tighter crop on the branding iron would also be another option to persue?
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 pm

I love the horses eye!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mj on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 pm

The horse's eye is spot on.
Nothing wrong with the branding shot either... might be a little heavy on the vignette but it is providing the focus it's intended for... and it makes me cringe !!!
I might suggest making some adjustment to your watermark though as it's both distracting and illegible to my eye.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 am

You forgot the larger version of the cow in the crush and we need to do some work on the watermark.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Welcome Jenna

I think you've nailed it with the first image - awesome

The branding shot lakcs strong focus for me. At a quick glance I don't see the smoke as smoke I just see ???? and I think a tighter crop (as already suggested) would help in that regard
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Jennaferney on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :D
Jennaferney

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques