B&W conversion

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

B&W conversion

Postby Raydar on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:30 pm

Any thoughts most welcome :D

http://users.bigpond.com/r.s.mullens/im ... 08rm03.jpg

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Nice

Postby Killakoala on Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:35 pm

I quite like it. Nice work.

Good use of depth of field. Interesting subject. Good composition and lighting.

Nice!!!
Killakoala

Postby W00DY on Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:46 pm

I like this in Black & White. I would imagine the image would not work in colour.

Did you do the conversion in Photoshop? If so did you just set the image to grayscale? I am trying to figure out the best way to convert images to B&W at the moment.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:52 am

Thanks all :D

Yeah Killa the colour Ver has no were near the impact.

Woody, I have been thinking of wrighting something up on converting to B&W & putting it in a Photoshop Techniques
Thread in the Tips & tricks.
I will Wright something up tonight.

All I done was used two Hue, Saturation adjustment layers & one Levels Layer. Going this way gives you total control over the whole tonal range of the image.

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:08 am

Ray,

Yes, I can't imaging this working in colour. It takes some thought to pull it up to B&W for a different perstpective.

A couple of observations ... give the image a nudge - maybe two or three degrees - clockwise to align the post so that it's parallel to the picture's edge, and perhaps crop a little bit from the rh side to move the bubbler's body closer to the rh third of the image
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:17 pm

On second glance I don't think I am to fond of the border / frame you used.

IMO it starts to distract the viewer from the image (I found myself looking at the frame over the image).

What are peoples thoughts on borders??? I tend to feel the simple borders are better.

Cheers,

W00DY PS: Would love to see that tutorial on B&W conversion.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Really like it Ray, great shot, best I have seen of a bubbler (maybe the only shot I have seen of a bubbler :D ). I think B&W works for this.
Glen

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:29 pm

Thanks Gary :D

I had to rotate the image in the first place & didn’t spend enough time getting it right.

Woody!! Thanks for pointing out the frame mate, I’ve been tossing up weather I like it or not “You just answered my “Q”
Just had another go at it with your suggestions & tis much better.

http://users.bigpond.com/r.s.mullens/images/bubrm01.jpg

Cheers
Raydar

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:56 pm

Raydar wrote:Just had another go at it with your suggestions & tis much better.

Yeah I like this much better. But this is just my opinon, some people might prefer the bigger frame.

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:12 pm

Me to mate, made me try something ells.

Cheers
Raydar

Postby Raydar on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:31 am

Ha all :D

I would like your thoughts on this image please.
I am making up some photos for the family Xmas gifts & was thinking this would make a good on for the Grand parents.

http://www.darwinonline.org/displayimag ... &pos=-1900

Thanks for the input :wink:

Cheers
Raydar

Postby gstark on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:51 pm

Ray,

Can you bump the dynamic rang/contrast up a little?

Just my opinion, but I think a little mor contrast would add a bit more punch to this. Talking in terms of B&W paper (traditional photography), I'd be priinting this on something two grades harder to make the blacks a little blacker and the whites whiter, so to speak.

Look at the sleeves on the girl's t-shirt and use that as the basis for a true black; a true white might be the whites of the boy's eyes, then adjust the contrast from there.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:32 pm

Thanks Gary you hit the nail on the head :wink:
I thought it was missing something & that was it.
updated image link below.

http://www.darwinonline.org/displayimag ... m=41&pos=3

Cheers
Raydar

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques