Sunbirds

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sunbirds

Postby gooseberry on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:35 pm

Since my camera is out of action - it's given me some time this weekend to prcoess some shots I had taken a while ago of some sunbirds.

Hope you like them.

#1 Looking out over the domain

#2 Who's behind you ?

#3 You've got something on your lip

#4 OK, where's my next drink ?

#5 Hah, spotted you!
gooseberry

Postby Geoff on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:53 pm

Beautiful shots there gooseberry!! What lens were u using? Lovely depth of field, these are the sort of images you see on cards!! I really enjoyed looking at them...thanks :)

Some EXIF data would be great to see how you did so well! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby gooseberry on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:01 pm

Geoff wrote:Beautiful shots there gooseberry!! What lens were u using? Lovely depth of field, these are the sort of images you see on cards!! I really enjoyed looking at them...thanks :)

Some EXIF data would be great to see how you did so well! :)

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words - glad you liked them.

For the first 3 shots, I used to 70-200VR + TC17. The last two I used the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II.

I'll try and dig up the exif info for you.
gooseberry

Postby Marvin on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:04 pm

Wow! I agree. These really catch my eye, particularly the first 2. Are these fast birds? Did you have to crop much?
Marvin

Postby tsanglabs on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:07 pm

These shots have convinced me that I should get the TC-17 for my 70-200, fantastic.
tsanglabs

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:21 pm

Stunning

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby pippin88 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:32 pm

Great shots.

Every macro photo makes me want a decent macro lense more.
pippin88

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:44 pm

Bueatiful examples of the Yellow-Bellied Sunbird. Nectorinia Jugularis. We have these in Australia too, but live in the tropics of Nth Queensland as far south as Gladstone.

The first one with the blue breast is the male, the one with the yellow chest is female and the other is probably a juvenile.

Your photos look even better than the ones in my bird book. Well done.

I love bird photos. I hope you have more :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby phillipb on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 pm

I completely agree, great shots, in particular I like No.3, the composition is very pleasing to the eye.
They're all good shots, but you can definetly see a difference between the first three and the last two, not better or worse, just different.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby mudder on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:21 pm

Wow, #1 and #3 are absolutely stunning...

I went to the Serendip wildlife sanctuary today and I don't think any of mine came up as good as these....

Thanks for posting (I think! ;-) )

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Onyx on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:07 pm

Amazing fine feather details in the first three shots, and then it's like all of a sudden the details got smeared in the last two. I was gonna ask why, but then I read that they were taken with a not just different but dare I say inferior lens....

The bright red and yellow flower bits contrast well with the green. The purists might claim the colours to be too strong, but I'm a sucker for saturation.
Onyx

Postby dperrett on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:42 pm

wow! nice pictures gooseberry. the first one particularly. i love the colours that you've got there.

what kind of shutter speed did you need for the photos?
dperrett

Postby gooseberry on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:04 am

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the comments - glad you liked them. Hoping to get more shots soon.

Geoff,
Exif info as follows - all shots were handheld, need to get myself a good tripod or monopod

#1 ISO 400 1/200s f/4.8 340mm
#2 ISO 400 1/250s f/5.6 340mm
#3 ISO 400 1/500s f/5.6 340mm
#4 ISO 400 1/800s f/5.6 300mm
#5 ISO 400 1/1000s f/5.6 300mm

Marvin,
Yep, these are really fast little buggers, you have to sneak up on them and take a shot quickly as they are flighty. The first three I only cropped a little bit here and there, the last two I cropped almost half the frame.

Onyx,
Yup, there is a difference in feather detail - but it may be due to me being actually physically closer in the first three pics, and the VR helped in keeping sharpness as these were all handheld with my shaky hands.

dperrett,
see above answer to Geoff.
gooseberry

Postby pippin88 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:09 am

I doubt shaky hands would lose you detail in shot #5, when you are using 1/1000s. That's just too short a shutter time for shake to come in - or so I would think.

I'm interested in why you used ISO 400? Arn't your shutter speeds high enough that you could drop ISO (and consequently shutter speed) to improve image quality? Or does a really high shutter speed produce a sharper image?
pippin88

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:09 am

Beautiful images. Damned fine photography. And boy...does Killa know his birds! The birdman of Woolomooloo!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gooseberry on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:37 am

Thanks for the compliments Matt.

Hi pippin88,
ISO 400 on the D70 is quite good - the lighting conditions were varying a little and with ISO 200 I was finding that the shutter speed, when I was shooting with the Sigma at 300mm, varying around 1/250 to 1/400 mostly even wide open at f/5.6, and some of the shots were coming out a little blurry - so I increased it to ISO 400 to try and keep the shutter up above 1/500.

For the VR shots, the light was a bit darker, and even with VR I wanted to keep the shutter around 1/200 or so when shooting at 340mm.

These birds are quite fast and don't stay in one place for very long, so you don't have much time to fiddle with settings, and with the varying lighting conditions (in and out of shade) - thus a sharp image at ISO 400 is much better than a slightly blurry pic at ISO 200.
gooseberry

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques