Mt Stromlo Observatories

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Mt Stromlo Observatories

Postby christiand on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:20 pm

I went and had a look at the burnt down Mt Stromlo Observatories today:

a few photos are at:

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php ... 0035&pos=0

Cheers
CD

(I guess I now need a 12-24mm lens)
christiand

Postby johndec on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:48 pm

Nice pics Christian. It's such a shame that all that equipment was destroyed :cry: My wife and I were there only a few weeks before the fire as guests of an old school friend who (used to) work there...

I hope they rebuild it even better than before.
johndec

Postby fozzie on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:46 am

CD,

Are they going to rebuild on the same site soon :?: .

Nikon/Sigma 12-24mm sounds good to me, but then again it's not my money.

Goodbye for now,
Gee... look at the time, I must go to bed
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

rebuild soon ...

Postby christiand on Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:07 am

There is an issue with insurance.
From what I gather the insurer(s) aren't paying the monies !
There is a dispute going on about an aproximately 50-70 million
dollar damage and the insurer(s) are offering 20 million.

Cheers
CD

I need to go to bed now !
christiand

Postby fozzie on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:38 am

CD,

That's Insurance Companies for you.

It is a shame when sometihng like this happens :( .

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 am

It was a great shame that all the old antique telescopes and 'stuff' were destroyed in the fire.

It is so unfair that insurance companies screw around like they do, but if the Mt Stromlo trust only had 20mill of insurance, then that's all they will get.

Hopefully the government will fund some of the reconstruction.

The current site is too close to the city anyway, due to light pollution. Not as bad as the Sydney Obsevatory though, which is right next to the Harbour Bridge. (To be fair though, when it was built it was on the outskirts of town and the skies were darker)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:11 am

It should never have happened,:( I was at the last open day before they were destroyed through ACT Government negligence and remember the Oddie Telescope being full of ladybugs!
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby MHD on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:03 am

Do you want the inside word ;)

Latest I heard is that the facility was indured for "replacement ability" so there is a lot of talk about what that ability should be....

There WILL be something built there and the New telescopes will have a public focus with the early hours of the evening (which are not the best for observing) to be dedicated to public use
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby MHD on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:04 am

Rusty W. Griswald wrote:It should never have happened,:( I was at the last open day before they were destroyed through ACT Government negligence and remember the Oddie Telescope being full of ladybugs!

I agree.... a huge multi million dollar facility built in the middle of bushfire prone land should have had some protection measures in place... I know a lot of students who were displaced by this and it has had a massive effect...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques