Wireless off camera flash

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wireless off camera flash

Postby Onyx on Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:15 am

One of the much tauted features of Nikon's new i-TTL flash system are their wireless capabilities, aka. CLS (Creative Lighting System).

To be honest, I've never had much luck with illuminating a subject with flash off camera. Any tips welcome...

Here's a pic taken with my D70 at a Nikon demonstration of its wireless flash system. 3 SB800s were used. Professional setup, great results.
http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p4606288.html

Then, there are the amateurish looking shots:

http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p7817166.html

http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p7817167.html
Onyx

Postby Raydar on Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:45 am

Great stuff Onxy :wink:

What are those Robosapien's like I was thinking of getting one of them for somthing to play with????? :?
I've given up with whats in my pants :shock: :wink:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Onyx on Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:57 am

That was a gift from my sister to her partner on his b'day. ;)
Well, the remote unit has tons of buttons, each of them moves one part or another on the robot... so there's tons of hours of discovery there. But there's also a number of hack/mod sites and the robot is programmable (eg. to do the macarena dance), so those electronically inclined will have even more fun modifying/customise the robot. They are a little pricey tho, and I would expect them to drop in price maybe leading up to the xmas rush. :)
Onyx

Postby krissingleton on Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:10 am

I've had fairly good results, but I mainly use it for off camera fill flash with ambient light eg outdoors post wedding shots
I only have 1 sb800 so I couldn't use it for much more although have sometimes used a lastolite reflector on opposite side

I have NEVER used it as the only light source (doesn't mean you can't, just that I haven't :))
Basically I put D70 in Commander-->ttl and maybe dial in some minus FEC (aroun -1.7 using flash button and front command wheel on camera)

if it's a little trickier, for example, I want to underexpose background, then I might go to commander-->AA so that sb800 only exposes for my aperture and uses it's onboard sensor, not what I'm doing with ambient light, and use spot metering for background

And if it's REALLY tricky, I go to commander-->manual and then take 100 shots (lol) varying aperture (for flash exposure) and shutter speed (to compensate aperture) until I get it right!!

Can't post an example because I am at my day job being a mild mannered metrologist at the moment (well, I am at work but surfing photography forums!!!)
However, there are heaps of good examples at http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/d70_amazing_pics

hope this helps a bit :)

Kris
krissingleton

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques