Killakoala's Military Pics

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Killakoala's Military Pics

Postby Killakoala on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:56 pm

For anyone who is interested in the military i provide for you a link to my military page on my Smugmug site.

http://killakoala.smugmug.com/gallery/246202

It is still being added to as i take more pics from 'work'.

I'm sure Birddog will like the photo of the RNZAF Hawks attacking HMAS Tobruk. It is very reminiscient of the Argentinian Air Force Skyhawks during the Falklands War '82 and the attack and sinking of HMS Sir Galahad, which is Tobruk's sister ship. It's almost a de-ja-vue....

Comments good or bad are welcome. I accept any advice to help me take better pictures.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Glen on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:01 pm

Killa, great shots, especially the one of the bow awash
Glen

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:07 pm

Great shots, thanks for sharing
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

GREAT shots!

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:22 pm

Well done mate..those photos are both really good and very interesting to look at! I enjoyed 'flicking' through them! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby MHD on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:54 pm

Say what you will about the armed forces.... It makes for some great pics!
Good work!
MHD

Postby Raydar on Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:34 pm

Great stuff mate 8)

You have to love big boy's toy's!!!!!!! :shock:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:42 am

What about pictures of the initiation ceremonies? eg. 'blanket bashings' that I was told about... ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:02 am

Killa,
You have done well, great photos, and thanking you for sharing. I wish that I can be part of you activities, brought my memories back from 35 years ago once I was in the service to serve my country.

P.S: I'm interested in couple photos of the Seaking/ with the Huey. Can you let me print them out for my collection (A3 or A4), will talk to you.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Killakoala on Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:48 pm

Onyx - That would be bad public relations and we have enough of those as it is. (Submariners crossing the line ceremony + funnel + sump oil etc) I'll leave it to your imagination. (I didn't order the 'code red'.)

Birddog - I would be happy to supply the originals of whichever photos you would like. PM me which ones you want and i will send or deliver them to you.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:50 pm

Great photo’s Killa but when are you going to post the ones of you in the SAS in Iraq?
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Killakoala on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:36 pm

Pity i don't have any photos of any Iraqi stuff but i did take a few photos when i was in Kuwait and the Persian Gulf. I do have some photos of the main oil terminal in Iraq but they are really poor quality as they were taken on a 1.3mp Fuji finepix.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:12 am

Now that would be a subject...

I often think how cool it would be to be bullet proof (+ beheding and blown up proof) and wander around the worllds hotspots getting pics of what goes on there...

Must be ooodles of raw emotion etc...
MHD

Re: Killakoala's Military Pics

Postby redline on Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:20 pm

Killakoala wrote:For anyone who is interested in the military i provide for you a link to my military page on my Smugmug site.

http://killakoala.smugmug.com/gallery/246202

It is still being added to as i take more pics from 'work'.

I'm sure Birddog will like the photo of the RNZAF Hawks attacking HMAS Tobruk. It is very reminiscient of the Argentinian Air Force Skyhawks during the Falklands War '82 and the attack and sinking of HMS Sir Galahad, which is Tobruk's sister ship. It's almost a de-ja-vue....

Comments good or bad are welcome. I accept any advice to help me take better pictures.

Hi Killakoala,
interesting images from life in the military. i have a question did you take these photos as an navy photographer or personal? i was interested if they retain all right to any images you take aboard the ship?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Killakoala on Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:05 pm

I am not an official Navy photographer, however i have been 'in the right place at the right time' on many occasions when there are no 'official photographers' present and have had images shown in Navy News, our official navy newspaper.

The photo rights remain with me even though they are of military stuff, taken in military time and military money, but not on military photo equipment. :)

I did seriously consider becoming a Navy Photographer a few years ago but if i were to change over now i would lose too much rank...... :) (And that means lower wages too)
Steve.
Killakoala

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques