First day's shooting with new camera

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First day's shooting with new camera

Postby Charandane on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:51 am

Hello again everyone. I had the opportunity to take a couple of hours and play with my new gear. The autumn leaves are at their tail end but you can still coax a little colour out of them. If you have the time, you can view some of these images here:

http://www.pbase.com/charandane/fall_2004_with_d70

I really am enjoying the D70. All these shots were with the kit lens. Next I'll try out the 80-400mm.

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Regards,

Andy
Charandane

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:07 pm

Stunning shots - you obviously are not new to photography - your compositions are relaxing and funnily enough remind me of the old country (England).

Cheers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:12 pm

Andy,

Beautiful colours and composition. Well done! How are you finding the PP efforts thus far?

Unfortunately, we don't get those sorts of colours in Sydney - here we barely get different seasons, let alone a change of seasons.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:27 pm

gstark wrote:Andy,

Beautiful colours and composition. Well done! How are you finding the PP efforts thus far?

Unfortunately, we don't get those sorts of colours in Sydney - here we barely get different seasons, let alone a change of seasons.

Yes Andy, very nice work indeed.

If you want autumn colour in Australia, Melbourne is hard to beat. We have many deciduous trees, and April through to June is absolutely spectacular.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Charandane on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:53 am

Hello Everyone,
I've been away from the computer the last few hours.
Thanks for the positive comments, they're much appreciated.
Gary, I try to do as little PP as possible but I find that the out-of-camera shots don't have enough punch. I try to keep the in-camera settings as neutral as possible beacause I would much rather that I have control over the outcome by adjusting it in PS rather than have a computer chip in the camera doing it.

The D70 is exactly what I thought it would be and maybe a little more. I am actually very pleasantly surprized by the accuracy of the DOF preview button, for some reason I had thought that it would not be as effective as in a film SLR.

Next I'll try the 80-400 and then get to know the SB800 a little better. It is a lot more sophisticated than my SB25's were.

Chris, interesting comments about England, for some reason I always thought that there were no maple trees there.
Regards,

Andy
Charandane

Postby Killakoala on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:21 pm

Very nice photos. Reminds me of Canberra.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:36 pm

Killakoala wrote:Very nice photos. Reminds me of Canberra.

Steve,

Damning with faint praise ? :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Canberra is a very pretty place in Autumn/Winter, although a bit too cold for me.

The oxygen level is also lower there than anywhere alse in Australia.

Looks like Canada :P
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Charandane on Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:12 am

Steve and Gary, actually these look like Canada...not sure you'd find them in Australia...unless they went for a long, long swim. :P
http://www.pbase.com/image/35296322
Regards,

Andy
Charandane

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:04 am

Charandane wrote:Steve and Gary, actually these look like Canada...not sure you'd find them in Australia...unless they went for a long, long swim. :P
http://www.pbase.com/image/35296322

Nice shot, but we don't have them in Australia.
If yes, not only swim but they have to run quick too.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:16 am

Andy,

No, we don't have too many here. Mind you, I have seen one, just off the side of the road, while driving.

Oh yes, we were in Vermont at the time. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charandane on Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:18 am

Cute reply about Vermont Gary, you had me going there 'til I finished reading.
I guess these are totally out of the question as well:
http://www.pbase.com/charandane/image/35295995

Well, that's the beauty of geography, we don't have any roos, crocs or koala's here. We have been known to have the odd Foster's from time to time though!
Regards,

Andy
Charandane

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:45 am

Andy,

Nice one. Good lighting and colour rendition. My only criticism would be to perhaps bring the zoom factor back a tad, so that you're not cutting off the tail.

As to Fosters .... yech! Give me a Penfold's Grange any day.

Birddog, you don't happen to have any Grange in your cellar, do you? ;)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:43 pm

Taken near Canberra a few months ago.

http://killakoala.smugmug.com/gallery/246380/1/9617129

I don't think it's a maple. I don't know what it is except that it's two trees.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Charandane on Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:38 am

Steve,
Very nice shot of the trees. They are not maples but I don't know what they might be.
Regards,

Andy
Charandane

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:49 am

I would have to concur; they're very definitely trees.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:58 am

gstark wrote:I would have to concur; they're very definitely trees.

And it's growing like our forum!hahahah :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques