Sunlight and some nice Bubbly, 50mm f/1.8 lens

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sunlight and some nice Bubbly, 50mm f/1.8 lens

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:52 pm

We were enjoying some very nice wine and then the sun started hitting it the right way and my hand went straight for the d70...

here are two shots with the 50mm f/1.8 showing its range

This shot:
was shot with the apeture wide open, nice and soft with that nice play of light, even if the background is domestic

This shot:
was shot with the apeture stopped down to f/7.1.. Talk about sharp!!!! but the one downside is you have to be carefull what is in the background... As washing baskets can be quite distracting...

So comments, compliments, complaints?

:)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby xerubus on Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:55 pm

amazing how such a cheap lens to purchase continuously proves to be leaps and bounds above some of it's competitors... very sharp...

great shots.... good to see you got your priorities right... wine first... washing later...

:)
xerubus

Postby Kris on Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:59 pm

Very nice! I'm bidding on one now :)
Kris

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:00 pm

MHD,
We will have some photos at the meet next Saturday to answer to your photos, glad to see that you have a Chandon there with a glass of bubble!
Enjoy!!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:06 pm

Last time we went through the Yarra we bought thier 5 pack (Vintage, Blank de Noir, Rose, Cuvee riche, and sparkling shiraz)... that was the last bottle left!!!!

So its back to Green point for more sparkling and, as those who have been there would know, more nice photos!

Wineries are one of my personal favorite subjects (have not been to one since Darran the D70 came along) for more reasons than one!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby Killakoala on Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:20 pm

I had a little chuckle at the washing basket :) Such a contrast, Champagne and Cleaning. Priceless!!!
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:26 pm

Nothing wrong with that killa :D

I had a Bundy & coke this afternoon while doing the washing :wink:
Gota kill the pain some how!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Greg B on Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:51 pm

Nice shots Scott.

And I am very pleased to say that I got this very lens this afternoon, $195 brand new through jd-onlineshop - went and picked it up (they are only 20 mins away), international warranty but not too much of a worry with this item.

Yay.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:04 pm

Enjoy it!
I do!

but, being a prime lens, and a fairly long one, be prepared to climb on chiars and run to the end of the room to frame the shot
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:31 am

Greg B wrote:Nice shots Scott.

And I am very pleased to say that I got this very lens this afternoon, $195 brand new through jd-onlineshop - went and picked it up (they are only 20 mins away), international warranty but not too much of a worry with this item.

Yay.

Glad to hear that you've got the 50/1.8. that will serve your needs, have you met the owner of JD Online? his name Danny?
Enjoy!!!! and what's next? where's your MOET and bubbly glass?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:38 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Greg B wrote:Nice shots Scott.

Yay.

Glad to hear that you've got the 50/1.8. that will serve your needs, have you met the owner of JD Online? his name Danny?
Enjoy!!!! and what's next? where's your MOET and bubbly glass?

Birddog, I didn't meet Danny, it was Edrea I dealt with and she was very nice.

What's next? My baby sister and her husband are both turning forty and there is a party next week - I am hoping to get some photos with the 1.8 sans flash - depending on whether the 75mm (effective) allows suitable framing. Otherwise, the kit lens wide will be pressed into service.
Last edited by Greg B on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:42 am

Nice and nice lady too? You're lucky guy :lol:
great to have those source nearby instead of online ordering from HKG or Singapore? but please do shop and check price around.
With Jd online, if you're close to them, you may try the lens today and tomorrow, if there's anything goes wrong they may exchange for you, this my thoughts.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:41 am

I got this lens as my prime lightning lens about two months ago & tonight mite be it’s first night out doing the job it was intended for :? :P

MHD: how's the head this morrning after all the bubbly :wink: :roll:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:50 am

Raydar,
New avatar and it's nice, hope no one get onto you feet once more time :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:56 am

Greg,
the 50mm on D70 will become 75mm, I'm sure it will work well in any situation, if room or space is limited just put yourself in reverse gear and make sure your reverse light is on.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:14 am

Birddog114 wrote:Raydar,
New avatar and it's nice, hope no one get onto you feet once more time :lol:

Thanks mate :wink:

Thought it was time for a change 8)

Cheers
Ray :P
Raydar

Postby Greg B on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:46 am

Yes Ray, excellent new av.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby MHD on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:17 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Greg,
the 50mm on D70 will become 75mm, I'm sure it will work well in any situation, if room or space is limited just put yourself in reverse gear and make sure your reverse light is on.

yes after working a room with this lens I needed a reverse light or one of those signs that says "caution vehicle may reverse at any time"
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby MHD on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:27 pm

ph and the advantage of drinking good wine (and being young) is the lack of a hangover!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques