Dangers of being a photographer during the riots

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dangers of being a photographer during the riots

Postby myarhidia on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:59 am

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby losfp on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:09 am

Yikes!!! :shock:

Bet you'd want to pack a big chucky telephoto...

1) You can stay a safe distance away, and
2) You can use it as a self-defence weapon!!!
losfp

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:11 am

War zone as Iraq or Afghanistan is more danger :lol:
Do you know how many war correspondences or war photographers get killed or wounded since the "gungho bush" invaded Iraq?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:20 am

Great shot!

sad isnt it that this (getty) is an international site, and the world sees this...

sigh, lets form an angry mob and attack minority groups and media... Yeah that'll work... (Idjits)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby marcotrov on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 pm

Very dangerous pursuit by the looks but look how professional he is still shooting away. :wink: Anyway I think it may have been someone upset that he was shooting Canon gear :lol: :lol:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Killakoala on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:17 pm

Head wounds always look more serious than they really are as the scalp bleeds profusely when damaged. I found that out the hard way. :) However head wounds do make great dramatic images ;)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Jonas on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:11 pm

I've been wondering if any of the members from the Cronulla area will post images from the riots. I'm assuming that they're all too smart to take expensive camera equipment into an area with fist and beer bottles flying.

It's easy to say this up in sunny Queensland, but one part of me would have loved to have been down there, snapping away (and trying to stay out of trouble).
Nikon D70s, Nikkor 18-70, Sigma 70-300DG APO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasphoto/
Jonas

Postby avkomp on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:38 pm

good to see him still working away!!

I wouldnt like to go down that way camera or no camera.

People have just been bashed with baseball bats whilst walking down the streets.

If you had a camera I am sure these thugs would smash it or steal it.

Steve
avkomp

Postby MCWB on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:26 pm

I was half thinking of going down there with my P&S, but sanity prevaled, which was fortunate as sanity did not prevail. :roll: :(
MCWB

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 pm

I don't think it would be worth going down with a decent camera, press crews are getting hurt. My daughter was caught in Brighton le sands last night, she said they saw a gang of twenty appear within a minute as her and her girlfriends called for the bill (about two minutes) another eighty appeared, started throwing chairs etc around, staff and patrons had to be locked inside the cafe. I asked her not to go, but she pointed out that she has coffee with her girlfriends every Monday there, so didn't want the gangs to win. Suffice to say she will have a different venue next week
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:29 pm

Coffee at Brighton Le Sands will be very expensive for her if she wasn't lucky to escape the hot wave! and no one feels sorry to her lost! as I heard many stories of innocent bystanders who went down there last night, want to see what were going on. :shock: :shock:

Hehehehe! better lock her at home and buy a capucino machine to treat her coffeeholic :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby ozczecho on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:32 pm

You cant take pictures at the beach anyway... :shock: :shock:
ozczecho

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Glad to hear your daughter is OK Glen - you have the machine - just put up a sign outside your house ”Cafe Glen” whoops - council inspectors approaching!! :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Glad to hear your daughter is OK Glen - you have the machine - just put up a sign outside your house ”Cafe Glen” whoops - council inspectors approaching!! :lol: :lol:

Perhaps that machine is out of date! :lol: Dad! I want another new one, make better coffee and VOX. :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:12 pm

Birddy, Chris, I think her and her friends like younger males to look at than there is around my place :wink:
Glen

Postby MCWB on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Glen wrote:Birddy, Chris, I think her and her friends like younger males to look at than there is around my place :wink:

I don't mind popping over Glen. :lol: :lol: :lol:
MCWB

Postby elffinarts on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:42 pm

Nikon Fanatics attack Canon user!

:?

Poor bastard. I bet that bloody hurt! Shocking situation and far out I'm glad to be in Brissy!
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Sheetshooter on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 pm

As one who has been warned and shot at during a siege I can assure you that it is no fun - but it IS part and parcel of the job as a member of the Press covering hard news. The greatest HIGH you can encounter is being shot at and surviving to tell the tale. The greatest LOW I have encountered is seeing at close hand somebody blown to bits who survived for twenty minutes. I am feel sure that Birddog and others have seen similar atrocities. Death is bad enough but CRUEL and vindictive death is an abomination.

This afternoon I read a number of the SMS texts being sent - two from Aussies calling for action and another allegedly from a Lebanese consortium who happen to use very Aussie vernacular lingo. I have never been terribly proud to be an Ausssie but I must say that in the light of these communiques I have never felt more ashamed to be an Aussie.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby jethro on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:45 pm

I was half tempted to go down on the weekend . Sanity prevailed. A lot of thougts have gone through my mind since Sunday, having lived in the Area all my life. Where is this shit going? At the moment its an information overload. Stories about this and that, what is the end result ill never know. Rumor mill which is neverending.
From a photographic point of view, photojournalism is a great play but I must say shear embarrasment on my behalf would be most detrimental.
If i worked for the media I would have no say.Honestly if my boss said go and shoot this crap going down at Cronulla I would have my reservations.
This fracus is urban terrorism, like something we have never experienced.
I am generally concerned for my kids and for their future.
Maybe im overbearing!
jethro
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby shaunus on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 pm

jeeeez

i thought i was in trouble when some bloke playing tennis threaten to shove his tennis raquet where the sun doesnt shine if i didnt put my camera away.

but being hit in the side of the head with a bottle, thats just wrong

lucky thats all he got hit by after seeing some of the news footage floating around
you get what you get, always learn from the mistakes
shaunus

Postby jethro on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Dont be ashamed Sheetshooter. These guys constantly harrass and vindicate people all over Sydney. And have done vermently for the last 8 years. We are all Australians and that is the point that everyone is missing. These guys are the backend of society and have no general idea about the general lives and ways of the general Australian public.
Everyone has their own beliefs and thats fine. Keep it to yourself.
The state government has a denial thing going. What their is no rasism? Bullshit. Rasism has been built in this country from ignorance.
We hear even from the Federal government that their is no underlying problem. CRAP!
This is the most go forward plesant race loving country in the world. Ethnic minorities with a self esteem problem need to be spoken to at the highest level in their communities to diffuse a problem which shouldm't exist.
Education is a must!
Jethro
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 pm

SKY News are having a poll at the moment as to whether or not people believe Australia to be racist. So far 61% believe we are :?
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby marcotrov on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:27 pm

It's a sad state of affairs. Blind freddy could have seen where this was going to go. :( I hope people start to get into the Xmas spirit and calm things down the last thing we need is british style hooliganism and brixton type riots spreading. Mind you niot that britain 's the only one with that sort of trouble in the world :roll: :(
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby ozczecho on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:49 pm

marcotrov wrote:It's a sad state of affairs. Blind freddy could have seen where this was going to go. :( I hope people start to get into the Xmas spirit and calm things down the last thing we need is british style hooliganism and brixton type riots spreading. Mind you niot that britain 's the only one with that sort of trouble in the world :roll: :(
cheers
marco

...France comes to mind, errm Fiji, Samoa etc.

But thats not the point. I think that SkyNews poll is useless. A small minority of troublemakers is getting all the news. The radio shock jocks are fuelling the fear and the minority are coming out of their closets and rining up these "talkback" stations denouncing Multiculturalism.

All the people living quite happily in this Multi cultural soceity are not having their voices heard. Just come to a Minimeet to see how Australia is a racist country...not.
ozczecho

Postby Raskill on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:02 pm

I was wondering if anyone was going to post any pics (taken from a safe vantage point of course). The whole situation is deplorable and it's embarrassing to the city, state and nation.

I've got many friends on the front of the thin blue line there this week and hope things calm down quick smart.

With regards to the photog with the minor head wound, if your willing to go into harms way for a job, you take the consequences (regardless if your a cop or a photog). You accept certain risks in your life. He couldn't have been to surprised to get injured given the amount of twits throwing beer can, bottles, rocks etc. I feel sorry for the ambos trying to get injured people out and geeting pelted. Regardless of why your protesting, the red cross is a no go zone, t's sacred, for christs sake, it's protected in war! To attack ambos is completely cowardly.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby ozczecho on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:05 pm

Raskill wrote:.... the red cross is a no go zone, t's sacred, for christs sake, it's protected in war! To attack ambos is completely cowardly.

...and tougher penalties should apply to those who violate this.
ozczecho

Postby cameraguy21773 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Racism, on many levels, pervades the entire world. My take on Australia is that is it has become a multi-ethnic haven (like the US) for others seeking freedom and a better life style. I don't see overt racism (but then I am just a periodic visitor) and I do see people of many cultures working happily together when I attend my business conferences and when they come to the US to see me (us). As has been said so well above, patience, tolerance, and education is required.

And now an amusing but related story from my last visit in November. On Saturday, Nov 19 I was at Hyde Park across from my hotel intending to shoot the black-headed ibis that had formed a small flock there. I was able to get fairly close and most of the passers-by would make room for me and not disturb the birds.

At one point, after about 30 minutes I decided to get some low angle shots and open the tripod legs very wide so that they put the camera right at eye level when I was sitting on the ground, more or less under the tripod. I was using a Nikkor AF-S 300/4 with a TC-17eII on my D1x and had both my D70's with lenses and a small Domke bag beside me on the ground. I was facing the Anzac Memorial with that reflecting pool on my right and focusing on one bird trying to get just a nice head and neck shot.

I am concentrating very intently when I hear this guy yell, "Is that a rocket launcher?" Startled, I looked up and he was talkin' to ME. He was not really too scruffy looking but he was slurring badly and I thought he might be homeless. The conversation went something like this.

Me - What?
Him - Is that a rocket launcher?
Me - What kind of question is that? Does it LOOK like a rocket launcher?
Him - Yeah
Me - Well, look at these (pointiing to the other cameras), don't they look like what they are.
Him - Well, we've been havin' a lot of trouble with terrorists lately you know.
Me - Yeah, I read the news, but why would I wanna shoot the Anzac Memorial
Him - Well, we don't want any foreigner coming here and causing trouble
Me - I agree, why don't you go find a cop and bring him back here and we'll discuss it.
Him - Well OK, I'll let you go this time

And off he went.

What an idiot I was not to take his picture but he might have really made a scene had I tried.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
cameraguy21773

Postby darb on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:14 pm

http://www.islamonline.net/Discussion/E ... cial+Riots

have a go at this lot then, if you want to know international perception ;
http://davidsonimagery.com/
Right place, right time, where the hecks my camera ...
darb

Postby Raskill on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:15 pm

If you were sitting on a bench you were probably on his bed...... I'd hate to find someone sitting on my bed with a rocket launcher pointing it an my ANZAC memorial :shock:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

Raskill

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:42 am

Brad,

I hardly believe that you can post a reference to Islam On Line and refer to it as "international perception". Please sttart to add reveferences from the LA Times, NY Post, The Tele in London, Le Monde in France, and so on. One swallow does not a summer make.

As to the comments that Australia is or isn;t a racist country: sadly, many people in this country, many of whom are white, and many of whom are not, are racist.

Please note, however, that each of them are individuals, and they must be so adjudged.

What has happenned in Sydney over the last few days isn't rcism though, it's just plain stupidity, ignorance, and drunken hooliganism.

There is no need for this, and there is no excuse for this.

Sadly, many of these people are incapable of intelligent thought, and equally sadly, most of them vote.

This is certainly a sad period in Australia's history.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:25 am

gstark wrote:As to the comments that Australia is or isn't a racist country: sadly, many people in this country, many of whom are white, and many of whom are not, are racist.

Please note, however, that each of them are individuals, and they must be so adjudged.

What has happenned in Sydney over the last few days isn't racism though, it's just plain stupidity, ignorance, and drunken hooliganism.

Sadly, many of these people are incapable of intelligent thought, and equally sadly, most of them vote.

Nail on the head, my thoughts exactly. The violence of the last few days is incredibly myopic 'can't see the forest for the trees'-type stuff. Sadly, as a few have already said, it'll take years and probably generations to repair the damage. :(
MCWB

Postby darb on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am

gstark wrote:Brad,

I hardly believe that you can post a reference to Islam On Line and refer to it as "international perception". Please sttart to add reveferences from the LA Times, NY Post, The Tele in London, Le Monde in France, and so on. One swallow does not a summer make.

As to the comments that Australia is or isn;t a racist country: sadly, many people in this country, many of whom are white, and many of whom are not, are racist.

What has happenned in Sydney over the last few days isn't rcism though, it's just plain stupidity, ignorance, and drunken hooliganism.

sorry i should have written "a snippet of one pocket" ... teh views and attitudes on that site are just scary as the xenophobic idiots we see in australia!
darb

Postby stubbsy on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:11 am

darb wrote:sorry i should have written "a snippet of one pocket" ... teh views and attitudes on that site are just scary as the xenophobic idiots we see in australia!

One other point Brad - for every site like this there's probably another equally extremist one from the neo-nazi's etc with the same hateful content targetted the other way. My view is that neither is representative of the views of the majorities they associate themselves with. The biggest problem is that others with an axe to grind manipulate the unwitting masses in situations like this.

And, for the first time in my 50 years of life, I'm ashamed as an Aussie at how my fellow Australians (white anglo saxon, middle eastern et al) can go to war on each other like this and exhibit such hatred towards each other.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby darb on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 am

Yeah both sides of the coin are frustrating.
darb

Postby Killakoala on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm

I thought my trip to the middle-east in mid-2003 was supposed to have sorted out this kind of thing. Unless it was about the oil, which is also in disarray.

In fact i think i've discovered why this happened.

OIL.

The USA is the most powerful Western country.
The USA has a Middle-East policy because of it's interest in oil.
The Middle-East has a large percentage of the world's oil.
Lots of Arabs don't like the USA because of it's Middle-East policy.
Some fundamentalist Arabs fight the USA, therefore;
The Middle-East fights the West, causing;
High Oil prices and Increased petrol prices.
Cost of running a fully-sick Subaru WRX or a Ford XR8 too high.
Youths can't drive around as much as they used to so look for other things to do.
Trouble in Cronulla.

There you go. Beat that Alan Jones!!!
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:03 pm

So BLOOD for OIL is what Bush and Johnny aiming for? :shock: :shock:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raskill on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:04 pm

You clearly have to much time on your hands until your next deployment :D :D

By the way, whats the go with 'killakoalas'? Do they eat, roots, shoot then leaves???

Raskill

Postby Killakoala on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:12 pm

Raskill wrote:You clearly have to much time on your hands until your next deployment :D :D

By the way, whats the go with 'killakoalas'? Do they eat, roots, shoot then leaves???

1. Yes.
2. I think, Eats, roots, shoots, and leaves. :)
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Raskill on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:17 pm

Thats what I meant, must be from the same family as the 'combat wombat'; the 'defenceforcius australis'

Raskill

Postby elffinarts on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:30 pm

Killakoala wrote:OIL.

The USA is the most powerful Western country.
The USA has a Middle-East policy because of it's interest in oil.
The Middle-East has a large percentage of the world's oil.
Lots of Arabs don't like the USA because of it's Middle-East policy.
Some fundamentalist Arabs fight the USA, therefore;
The Middle-East fights the West, causing;
High Oil prices and Increased petrol prices.
Cost of running a fully-sick Subaru WRX or a Ford XR8 too high.
Youths can't drive around as much as they used to so look for other things to do.
Trouble in Cronulla.

There you go. Beat that Alan Jones!!!

Brilliant! So, hand out passes to free fuel and runs down at the WSID raceway and the fights are all history eh...
Which all leads to the connection... are these beach going gangs the same ones who were targetted by the police for street racing highlighted in the media a few months back?

I recall the footage of those guys showing almost excusively the same type of gangmembers. young dumb full of c..
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:35 am

darb wrote:sorry i should have written "a snippet of one pocket" ... teh views and attitudes on that site are just scary as the xenophobic idiots we see in australia!

Brad,

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you for this.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:37 am

From a strategic point the invasion of both Afghanistan and Iraq goes far beyond just oil.

America’s positioning in these two countries enables a double envelopment of Iran for starters. The Americans left flank would be protected by Israel so they would not have to worry about Syria plus Turkey would place pressure on Syria’s northern borders.

With the neutralisation of both Iran and eventually Syria, there would be a wedge driven through the middle east controlled by the Americans, British and Australians (albeit very small).

All of the Americans actions point to the classic Schlieffen Plan as far as Iran is concerned.

This is not just about oil - there are far more ranging purposes behind what is happening :?
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby marcotrov on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:41 am

I agree Generalisimo Chris :wink: Very astute assessment. No fooling you :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:45 am

At the end, the due course will be the same as VietNam 30 years ago.
I hope and wish the American will learn another lesson which they never learn from the past.

After the Second World War, does the American win any war yet? or just cut and run, betrayed their Allied!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:12 am

Slight tangent.....

My taxi driver on saturday back in Melbourne was an Afghani. He had just returned from a 2 month
trip to Afganistan a few weeks ago, and I asked him at some length about conditions there. Our
discussion was essentially apolitical.

He said that conditions are significantly better than they have been for many years.
- Supermarkets are stocked
- fighting is restricted to very limited areas
- there is freedom of movement and communication
- elections may not be perfect, but have resulted in some bad eggs getting the flick
- 30% of those elected are women
- electricity and clean water are widely available
- there is a school up near the Pakistan border with a huge number of female students (He said 16,000, but that sounds like a lot)
- women can move around in public wearing more or less what they want
- there was whisky drinking going on!!

This guy was obviously well educated, I think he said he was an engineer, and his comments were very interesting.
If nothing else, it is pleasing that these people who have really copped a hiding are experiencing better living
conditions.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby myarhidia on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:39 am

Greg B wrote:This guy was obviously well educated, I think he said he was an engineer, and his comments were very interesting.

Did you ask him what an engineer from a developing country was doing driving a taxi in Australia ?
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:44 am

myarhidia wrote:
Greg B wrote:This guy was obviously well educated, I think he said he was an engineer, and his comments were very interesting.

Did you ask him what an engineer from a developing country was doing driving a taxi in Australia ?

I would imagine it would be similar to doctors coming from developing countries in that they would have qualifications that do not match the requirements of this country. 8)
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:24 pm

sirhc55
It's not the oil that is the main prize....it's the sand. Bucketsfull of it. :lol: :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Matt. K on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:26 pm

Chris

He's an engineer. Taxi's have engines in them. What part of that don't you understand?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 pm

Matt. K wrote:He's an engineer. Taxi's have engines in them. What part of that don't you understand?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Next

Return to Sydney