Where can I buy a Spyder2 in Sydney?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Where can I buy a Spyder2 in Sydney?

Postby johndec on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:51 pm

Subject says it all :lol: Via Google I can only find online retailers and would really like to grab one in the next couple of days.

TIA.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby big pix on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Borge, Kayell, Baltronics, L&P Photographics, Ted's ?,

OR ASK THE BIRD THAT FLIES.......

The Spyder is cheap but the software is another story......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby johndec on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks BP. The Airborne Canine is on holidays ATM, so may have to look elsewhere if I'm in that much of a hurry :lol: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby big pix on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Some of the Sydney members have Spyders........maybe a loner.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby big pix on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 pm

the Gretag Eye one is much better.......and dearer.......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby johndec on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:37 pm

big pix wrote:Some of the Sydney members have Spyders........maybe a loner.......

Trent was kind enough to lend me his several months ago and it worked wonders, however after about a month I noticed that the calibration of my CRT started to drift and is now virtually useless. You really need to calibrate every month at least and that is really stretching the friendship with the owner :shock:

So therefore I figure it is better to get my own. Of course any Sydney member that I know is welcome to borrow it to try it out.
johndec

Postby LostDingo on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:38 pm

John, consider purchasing from B&H if you have no luck locally, still about half the price here

..............and I always recive from B&H within a few days, even within the same week once :!:
LostDingo

Postby big pix on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:40 pm

LostDingo wrote:John, consider purchasing from B&H if you have no luck locally, still about half the price here

you should get a 4 to 5 day delivery from New York........ but check on the software that you will also need
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby johndec on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Lost Dingo, you're a genius!! Not quite 1/2 price but even allowing for currency conversion and USPS Global Express shipping, it is still about $100 less than the local price. I can wait a week for that :lol:

BP: What software are you talking about? I don't want the crap that comes with the Pro version, just the calibration software that come with the "poverty pack" model....

EDIT: Shot my mouth off too soon. After looking at the various models available the "PLUS" model with printer profiling software may be useful. Not much point having the monitor spot on if the prints bear no resemblance to what is on the screen... :oops:
johndec

Postby MattC on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:18 am

Johndec,

I would not bother with the scanner based printer profiling. Better results will be achieved with a professional profiling service. Flat bed scanners tend to be a little limited in their tonal response and that limitation hurts printer profiles.

Here is a service that has been recommended in these forums
http://www.cathysprofiles.com/
The other alternative is to spend real $$$$ on profiling gear.

Colorvision also offers Printfix with its own scanner - just as bad. These solutions maybe okay for your (very) average 3 colour printer, but not for the current crop of photo printers.

The extras that come with the Spyder2PRO are basically free when comparing the Spyder2 + Spyder2PRO upgrade. One of the extras, nik color efex, may actually be useful to you.

The Spyder2PRO software simply offers a full range of tools and capabilities for getting the very best from your monitor. Having said that, most people seem to get good results from the basic Spyder2 or the ColorPlus.

Cheers

Matt PS I use a Spyder2PRO.
MattC

Postby Steffen on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:46 am

Do those calibrators (or which of them) take ambient light into consideration?

Cheers
Steffen
Steffen

Postby LostDingo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:59 am

Steffen wrote:Do those calibrators (or which of them) take ambient light into consideration?

Cheers
Steffen

I Have a Spyder 2 and when you calibrate the instructions advise to remove any outside influences while calibrating such as overhead lighting, side window lighting etc.

I couldn't be happier with mine, I send pics out to be printed and they always come back just as they were on my screen.

I would really have a hard time to not have a calibrated screen now.
LostDingo

Return to Sydney