Mr Ten Questions at Photo Imaging World

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mr Ten Questions at Photo Imaging World

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:08 pm

At today's minimeet at Thanh's (thanx Thanh and Tran for the - as always - great hospitality) the aApril 29 inimeet that we'll be holding in conjunction with Photo Imaging World was discussed.

Amongst the more interesting suggestions raised was the one whereby each of our members, at some point throughout the show, wander up to the Maxwell reps and ask them some questions.

Nothing odd about that you say?

What if we're all asking, over an extended period of time, the exact same questions? :)

Who wants to build a list of those questions? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Mr Ten Questions at Photo Imaging World

Postby johndec on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:17 pm

gstark wrote:What if we're all asking, over an extended period of time, the exact same questions? :)

I like the evil way your mind works Gary :wink: :lol: Just make sure everyone is in "civvies" not their D70 users shirts..
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby leek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:19 pm

I missed that discussion today... On a similar theme, we could do the same thing but in the style of a flashmob... Synchronise watches, be in the vicinity of the Maxwell's stand at the appointed time, then on a pre-agreed signal all converge quickly on the stand, all demanding attention at the same time for 2 minutes... then on another signal all disappear in different directions as if nothing had happened... :-)

They would be totally confused...

Of course - one or 2 members would stand off to the side to take photos of the scene... :-)
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby DaveB on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:29 pm

John, what would that achieve other than flustering the staff?

Gary's suggestion (you're the one who started this thread Gary, so by inference it's yours 8)) could prove more interesting in the long term (depending on the list of questions).
DaveB

Postby johndec on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:33 pm

The most obvious question if you want to embaress them is; "Why are Nikon products so much dearer in Australia than they are in the US? It cant be shipping costs, we are closer to Japan than the US."

Or if you want to annoy them:
"When are you making a left handed D70s?" :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby leek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:33 pm

DaveB wrote:John, what would that achieve other than flustering the staff?

Gary's suggestion (you're the one who started this thread Gary, so by inference it's yours 8)) could prove more interesting in the long term (depending on the list of questions).

I'm open to either approach, but the reactions to such a flashmob are usually hilarious... We may not have enough people to pull it off though...
Cheers, John

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby leek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Does the D2x come in Silver? :-)
Cheers, John

leek

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:24 pm

When will Nikon produce an astrophotography targetted camera like the Canon 20d-a?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby LOZ on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Produce say 20 full colour
business cards and simply drop them around the stand then a member pick one up and hand it to them with a surprised look Or many members just show them the card and ask if they know who they are

Nikon Grey Importers

Same day servicing on all Nikon cameras

WE WILL BEAT ANY AUSTRALIAN PRICE

NAME -------
local PHONE NO
LOZ

Postby TonyH on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

I asked the why should I not buy a Grey import question here in Brisbane at the last Photo Expo (from Maxwells rep).

They told me that warranty issues would be a huge hurdle for me to overcome, to which I replied "are Nikon products manufactured so badly that they are in need of constant repair?. No answer.

I then reasked why I would buy the Nikon product here at twice the price of an imported item. The reply was that perhaps Nikon manufacture good at differing standards for different parts of the world, and Australia gets the best or premium products only. I replied that if he could furnish me with evidence, I don't want to buy an inferior product, I'd certainly buy the Australian product. At that stage he asked me for my contact details (which I gave him) to be able to come back to me at a stage in the near future to further elaborate.

I shook my head and left the stand...... btw I didn't get his name but he was seconded from Sydney.

Must think we're all a little thick in Queensland :twisted:

So, maybe a question to ask would be: Why should I pay roughly twice as much from a local supplier as opposed to getting Nikon gear from overseas. And then watch them squirm because they just can't justify the ripoff prices we have to pay.
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:55 pm

johndec wrote:The most obvious question if you want to embaress them is; "Why are Nikon products so much dearer in Australia than they are in the US? It cant be shipping costs, we are closer to Japan than the US."

In actual point of fact, this is exactly the sort of question I (and in fact one I specifically) had in mind.

I'm thinking that the questions should be serious in their nature, but equally, intended to inform them that we're not simply customers of their's but bloody unhappy customers because of their "who gives a fuck" attitude towards us.

And products such as NC are a great example to give them - shipping costs are bugegr all, support costs are even less, yet it costs about three times what it should.

As well as the questions, we would need a set of responses to their answers, so that we could truly apply some pressure to them.

And we coulsd demand their business cards and insist that we want and expect a serious response from them.

Other suggested questions, people?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:59 pm

leek wrote:I missed that discussion today... On a similar theme, we could do the same thing but in the style of a flashmob... Synchronise watches, be in the vicinity of the Maxwell's stand at the appointed time, then on a pre-agreed signal all converge quickly on the stand, all demanding attention at the same time for 2 minutes... then on another signal all disappear in different directions as if nothing had happened... :-)

One issue with this is thatthese people are already under-staffed but swamped with customers as it is. I'm not sure that a flashmob would be noticed.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:16 pm

gstark wrote:I'm thinking that the questions should be serious in their nature

Ah sorry Gary - you set me off on the wrong track by referring to Mr. Ten Questions in your title...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:41 pm

leek wrote:

Ah sorry Gary - you set me off on the wrong track by referring to Mr. Ten Questions in your title...

But those questions are serious .... are they not?

:lol:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:52 pm

gstark wrote:
leek wrote:

But those questions are serious .... are they not?

:lol:

Very true... but the objective is to fluster or confuse...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby Matt. K on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Count me in on anything that is devious and malicious. I love the idea of printing up some fake notices that could be dropped around the place to stimulate healthy discussion between members of the public. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby christiand on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi everyone,

My favourite question would be to ask why Nikon gear is SO expensive in AU.
Who is going to Photo Imaging world on Saturday 29th April ? (if so what time ?)
Is there going to be a mini meet at Birddogs ? (if so what time ?)

I have registered but still have to do some planning and checking.

Best regards,
Christian
christiand

Postby Killakoala on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 pm

I won't be there as i'll be OS, so can someone ask them why it's taking so long to fix my D70 BGLOD problem :evil:
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby johndec on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:47 pm

If we are going to give them a hard time regarding price differentials in AU vs US pricing, I reckon we should choose a sample lens and camera and work on suggested Q's and A's. Can I suggest the D2x and the 70-200 as usable examples. Usable on two fronts. Firstly, they are high end items so the Maxwell markup/ripoff will be at it's most obvious. Secondly, asking questions about gear like this will show that the questioner has some idea about quality equipment.

We need to go in well armed though. The AU and US retail prices as listed by Maxwell and Nikon USA need to be documented. That way if they try to use the GST argument, one can still say "OK, even if we factor that in and ignore that most states in the USA have similar taxes, you still haven't explained why the (insert product here) is still (insert large number here) dearer".
johndec

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:14 pm

John, I believe after memorising computer hardware prices for no apparent reason, I can commit Nikon gear prices to memory.

Maybe.

And if all fails, I can write it on my hands and hope I don't sweat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nnnnsic

Postby Finch on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:31 pm

Gary,

I would like quite a number of people to ask a 'senior' rep why it is taking so bloomin' long for them to release non-banding D200 (I've had one on order since mid-December) and why they kept so quiet about the problem for so long. Also, a date for the new batch of D200 for Australia would be good, too (although I doubt that is possible!).

Cheers

Michael
Finch

Postby moz on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:04 am

johndec wrote:Can I suggest the D2x and the 70-200 as usable examples.

I have the Canon version of that lens, albeit the cheapo camera to attach to it, so would it also be good to ask about differences between the competing products? I'm guessing this parallels the 1DII from Canon, and that package from Camera House is $500 cheaper (Canon just under $10k, Nikon just over), but then the Nikon gives you 6MP/8fps at 140-400mm with stabilisation, the Canon only gives you 91-260mm but you get 8MP (cropping it to the center 6MP gives 105-300).

I'll be along on Saturday, and I'm willing to swot up on the Nikon gear and play along.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby MattC on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:48 am

Hammer Maxwells on pricing and when done, all of the Nikon users should get over to the Canon stand and do the same in support of the few Canonites here on the forum. Local Canon pricing is just as strange.

Cheers
MattC

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:59 am

I don't mind pestering the canon guys either, but I'll be doing it with my D70 around my neck :) :lol:
Alpha_7

Postby Nikon boy on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:40 am

I wonder if anyone from Maxwells monitors this site ?
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:12 pm

Post Removed : My apologises to Wally, my intention was a light hearted joke, not a personal flame.
Last edited by Alpha_7 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha_7

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:
Nikon boy wrote:I wonder if anyone from Maxwells monitors this site ?

Wally perhaps ? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Don't make me ask if that's an attempt at a flame, Craig.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:26 pm

christiand wrote:Is there going to be a mini meet at Birddogs ? (if so what time ?)

Christian,

The minimeet will be at Darling Harbour. My expectation is starting at around 3 ish, and then into the exhibition, with dinner at Chinatown afterwards.

Work on those timeframes as your starting point.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:30 pm

johndec wrote:We need to go in well armed though. The AU and US retail prices as listed by Maxwell and Nikon USA need to be documented. That way if they try to use the GST argument, one can still say "OK, even if we factor that in and ignore that most states in the USA have similar taxes, you still haven't explained why the (insert product here) is still (insert large number here) dearer".

John,

What we need are realistic street prices, which, in Oz, are still way OTT.

The D2X may be a good example, certainly the 70-200VR, maybe the 50 1.4 which is double what it should be, and as I mentioned earlier, the NC software is thrice the US$ cost, but there's nothing to support, and even if there was, can you see maxwell's providing it?

The absence of service on on camerras as well, and their refusal to honour NIKON warranties, would be other points I'd be willing to place on the agenda.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:33 pm

Finch wrote:Gary,

I would like quite a number of people to ask a 'senior' rep why it is taking so bloomin' long for them to release non-banding D200 (I've had one on order since mid-December) and why they kept so quiet about the problem for so long. Also, a date for the new batch of D200 for Australia would be good, too (although I doubt that is possible!).

Michael, the issue here, as I understand it,, is that Nikon simply isn't supplying stock to Maxwell. Maybe that's the way that question needs to be framed: "Why are Maxwell's finding it so difficult to procure stock from Nikon?
When we call to enquire as to an ETA, you either don't know, have some X on order but don't know when they're coming in,or else some are due in within a week but don't know what it is nor how many. Not exactly professional ... "
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 pm

gstark wrote:
Finch wrote:Not exactly professional ... "

That's it, in a nutshell, Gary. Why is it that Nikon seem to treat their Aussie customers with such disdain and why do Maxwells appear to do little to lift that perception? Seems a basic tenet of doing business that you look after your customer base, you supply what they need or you communicate with them respectfully and honestly to ensure their ongoing support and brand loyalty. Rocket science? I think not.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby RICPIC on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 pm

[What we need are realistic street prices, which, in Oz, are still way OTT.

The D2X may be a good example, certainly the 70-200VR, maybe the 50 1.4 which is double what it should be, and as I mentioned earlier, the NC software is thrice the US$ cost, but there's nothing to support, and even if there was, can you see maxwell's providing it?
[/quote]

the odd thing is that the aussie price of the D200 ($2600) is the same as OS. You can order a D200 from Foto Riesel in Sydney for the same price as HK Supplies on Ebay.
D200, 12-24DX, 28-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, 105M/2.8, SB800, Rollei 2.8F
RICPIC

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:13 pm

Simon,

Manta wrote:
gstark wrote:
Finch wrote:Not exactly professional ... "

That's it, in a nutshell, Gary. Why is it that Nikon seem to treat their Aussie customers with such disdain

That one is easy. We're such an insignificant part of their market, why should they care? The reality of the situation is that Nikon might probably do better (from a business/shareholder perspective) to toally ignore Oz completely, as a market segment, and just direct our poduct into the US or HK.

And - again looking at this from a reality PoV - would we in Oz be better off buying direct from HK, or through Maxwell, as our primary source of product?

Ponder that one seriously ... ;)

and why do Maxwells appear to do little to lift that perception?

Which is a different question, and one that we should be prepared to pose.

Seems a basic tenet of doing business that you look after your customer base, you supply what they need or you communicate with them respectfully and honestly to ensure their ongoing support and brand loyalty. Rocket science? I think not.

No, it's not.

But time and agan, Maxwell's have clearly demonstrated that they're not even not rocket scientists. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby moz on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:49 pm

I suspect what you're seeing is that Nikon regard Australia as not worth having, but Maxwells are the Australian importer trying to make the best of a bad joke. From Nikon's end Maxwells probably get a lot of "and how many thousand cameras did you order this month, again?" and "Nowhere, USA is a bigger customer than you and they're on the other line".

In some respects us Canon users are better off, in that there's an actual Canon operation here who do real work (not just a service outlet), so we tend to get slightly better service. Of course, we still get silly pricing (someone should tell Canon that the south pacific peso got above $US0.50 for a while there) and long lead times. Except when truly weird shit happens, like the 30D going on the shelves in Oz first.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby nito on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:52 pm

I have loss faith in maxwell. Simple.
nito

Postby MattC on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:58 pm

There is a "Nikon Australia" website which went up a couple of months ago (afaik) which is independent of the Maxwell site.

Maybe (hopefully) it is a sign of things to come. The "Nikon Australia" bit I mean.

http://www.nikon.com.au/

Cheers
MattC

thanks Gary

Postby christiand on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Gary,

thanks for the info :D

Cheers,
CD
christiand

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:37 pm

MattC wrote:There is a "Nikon Australia" website which went up a couple of months ago (afaik) which is independent of the Maxwell site.

Maybe (hopefully) it is a sign of things to come. The "Nikon Australia" bit I mean.

http://www.nikon.com.au/

Cheers

MattC,
Gary posted here few days ago:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=15586
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby petermmc on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:44 pm

I am working in Melbourne today and took the time to look at all the central photoshops. The ticketed prices on many of thier items are extortion. Even some of the second hand prices are higher than new prices in Sydney.

This is a good topic. Prices in Australia are crazy and have caused may of us over the years to purchase overseas and today to go grey or to other brands. A question I would like to add is about Warranties. US seems to get 5 yr warranties on New Nikon gear. I may be wrong. Seeing as we are paying top world prices we should get 10 yr warranties.

In short, "When are we going to get 5 yr warranties for Nikon in Australia?"

Regards

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby MattC on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm

Birddog114 wrote:MattC,

Aha, found it. That is a strange way for Maxwell to link to the Nikon Australia site.
I guess it was wishful thinking to hope that Maxwell would be outed. :(

Cheers
MattC

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm

MattC wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:MattC,

Aha, found it. That is a strange way for Maxwell to link to the Nikon Australia site.
I guess it was wishful thinking to hope that Maxwell would be outed. :(

Cheers

No, their strategies for us to blame Nikon not Maxwell.
It could be happened as you said but not instantly. Times will tell.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MattC on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:28 pm

Birddog114 wrote:No, their strategies for us to blame Nikon not Maxwell.

Well, those in charge at Maxwell must have their heads jammed in very dark places.
That sort of strategy makes no sense at all. It does no good to blame the company that manufactures a product they try to sell. Classical case of butt covering and buck passing. Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I would have thought that it would have been in their interest to make Nikon (and themselves as the local distributor) look good.

If a good list of question is asked, it would be interesting to see the answers, and whether or not they pass blame in a manner that undermines Nikon.

Birddog114 wrote:It could be happened as you said but not instantly. Times will tell.

So I can continue hoping? :)

Cheers
MattC

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:30 pm

petermmc wrote:A question I would like to add is about Warranties. US seems to get 5 yr warranties on New Nikon gear. I may be wrong. Seeing as we are paying top world prices we should get 10 yr warranties.

Peter,

Can you point me to some URLs for this? Great question, but I'd like to see the products involved so that we can back this up with fact.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:33 pm

gstark wrote:
petermmc wrote:A question I would like to add is about Warranties. US seems to get 5 yr warranties on New Nikon gear. I may be wrong. Seeing as we are paying top world prices we should get 10 yr warranties.

Peter,

Can you point me to some URLs for this? Great question, but I'd like to see the products involved so that we can back this up with fact.

Gary,
It's Nikon USA offers 5 years warranty after buyer of Nikon lenses returned their warranty card within 30 days of purchase with the bar code printed on the box + cash back.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:39 pm

MattC wrote:Well, those in charge at Maxwell must have their heads jammed in very dark places.

Which probably explains why sitting feels so uncomfortable lately. :)

If a good list of question is asked, it would be interesting to see the answers, and whether or not they pass blame in a manner that undermines Nikon.

That's not the real goal. I don't think we want excuses or finger pointing.

Rather, I think that real solutions to the problems we see would be a more preferable outcome. Realistic pricing, professional service and attitude, better supply channels, and to not treat as us - their customers - as fools.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Gary,
It's Nikon USA offers 5 years warranty after buyer of Nikon lenses returned their warranty card within 30 days of purchase with the bar code printed on the box + cash back.

I can't find anything on the nikonusa site.

Could somebody please give me a specific URL?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MattC on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Whoops, poorly worded.
Gary, I was thinking in terms of answers to the issues that are relavent. Pricing, service, attitude.... and whether or not Maxwell tries to pass the blame.

Cheers
MattC

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 pm

gstark wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Gary,

I can't find anything on the nikonusa site.

Could somebody please give me a specific URL?

I'll find it for you, and with the round yellow sticker " 5 Years Extended Warranty" on its box.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm

MattC wrote:Whoops, poorly worded.
Gary, I was thinking in terms of answers to the issues that are relavent. Pricing, service, attitude.... and whether or not Maxwell tries to pass the blame.

Cheers

No worries Matt. It certainly doesn't hurt to be clear about this, from all sides.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I'll find it for you, and with the round yellow sticker " 5 Years Extended Warranty" on its box.

That would be great; thanx Thanh.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sydney