Coming to Sydney

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Coming to Sydney

Postby xorl on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 am

I'm just about to catch a plane to Sydney for work. Apparently I'll be staying in Chatswood. At the moment I'll probably be around until Wednesday week, but it's not clear if i'll have much (or any free time). However, I'd like to be organised just in case :).

1) Are there any meets or similar over the next few days? I guess night time or the weekend will be my only chance at making something.

2) Where are the decent jazz clubs, and are there any local bands worth checking out? :)
Mark
xorl

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 am

Mark,

Welcome. I'm sure we can organise something for you during your stay. Is this your first visit to Sydney?

Jazz ... if you're after real jazz, you can't go past Yates, Philpot and Pochee at the Stag in Leichhardt on Thursday night, starting around 10. Tonight I'll be at the Bar Me at the Cross, for a latin jam, and on Wednesday there's a blues jam at the Empire at Annandale.

I'll add more to this for you later in the day, as I put tomorrow's radio show together.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 am

Im in Chatswood during business hours. Sure that we can organise a group out or something during the week, would be nice out for a shoot, but lets first hope this weather settles down first :P

I'll let Gary or other to organise this one 8)
Yi-P

Postby xorl on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:18 pm

gstark wrote:Welcome. I'm sure we can organise something for you during your stay. Is this your first visit to Sydney?

No, I've been to Sydney a few times, but I haven't had a chance to explore much beyond the Opera House yet. I'm here a bit longer this time and hope to have the weekend to myself - we'll see.

Jazz ... if you're after real jazz, you can't go past Yates, Philpot and Pochee at the Stag in Leichhardt on Thursday night, starting around 10. Tonight I'll be at the Bar Me at the Cross, for a latin jam, and on Wednesday there's a blues jam at the Empire at Annandale.

Excellent, thanks for the list Gary. My work colleague and I and going to try to head to the Stag Thursday night. Might have to start work a bit later on Friday :). I've had some good food in Leichhardt before, so I'm looking forward to going there again.

Yi-P wrote:Im in Chatswood during business hours. Sure that we can organise a group out or something during the week, would be nice out for a shoot, but lets first hope this weather settles down first

Yeah, the weather got pretty ugly here when I arrived... I'm not really able to escape during the day (except for food), so I won't be much shooting unless it's the night (or maybe the weekend).

I'm not able to check DSLRusers much during work hours so any replies might be slow.
Mark
xorl

Postby xorl on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:22 pm

Btw I'm going to try to head to the Basement tonight. Apparently there is a fusion band on that might be ok..
Mark
xorl

Postby macka on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:12 pm

gstark wrote:
Jazz ... if you're after real jazz, you can't go past Yates, Philpot and Pochee at the Stag in Leichhardt on Thursday night, starting around 10.

Gary, is that Ron Philpot?
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:47 pm

macka wrote:
gstark wrote:
Jazz ... if you're after real jazz, you can't go past Yates, Philpot and Pochee at the Stag in Leichhardt on Thursday night, starting around 10.

Gary, is that Ron Philpot?

Yes it is.

Chuckie Yates on an old pee-an-oh, Ron on a Fender Jazz, and John Pochee kicking 'em all up the arse.

There's a Freddie Wilson Workshop band on beforehand, and the Stag povides the cheapest feed on Sydney at the Yates gig: snags, rolls, and salad, for nix! Turn up before midnight, hear some great music, and get fed.

Who's up for a group visit for tomorrow evening?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xorl on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:28 pm

gstark wrote:Who's up for a group visit for tomorrow evening?

Do you mean Thursday night? (as per above)

Unfortunately I'm probably busy tomorrow night.
Mark
xorl

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:48 pm

xorl wrote:
gstark wrote:Who's up for a group visit for tomorrow evening?

Do you mean Thursday night? (as per above)

Unfortunately I'm probably busy tomorrow night.

MArk,

Yes, of course I do.

Thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xorl on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:34 pm

I'm heading down to the Stag tonight, so if anyone is coming along I'll see you there..
Mark
xorl

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:53 pm

Mark,

About what time do you expect to get there?

Do you know the secret handshake?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xorl on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:03 pm

I guess I'll probably be there about 8pm. Apparently it takes about an hour from Chatswood by public transport.

I've seen a enough photos floating around I'm sure I'll recognise someone :). Otherwise be on the look out for someone who's tall, thin and wields a camera bag.
Mark
xorl

Return to Sydney