Studio equipment for hire in Sydney?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Studio equipment for hire in Sydney?

Postby pelmeshkin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:30 pm

I wonder if anyone can advice on a place in Sydney where I can hire a backdrop with a stand and possibly three strobes with softboxes and stands for a few days?

I have been asked to take portraits of a few people and this is the effect that needs to be achieved.

Basically, the main requirement is to have a white background. I understand I need at least three light sources: 2 for the background, so it is bright and even on both sides, and one for the subject. All lightsshou, or at least the one on the subject, should be softened by a diffuser or a softbox.

I have the following equipment already:
Canon 30D + 580EX flash + ST-E2 remote transmitter
and 2 x Vivitar 285 flashes hooked up via pc-sinc cable (well, one is hooked up and another one has an optical slave sensor on it). I also have a 80cm white reflector.

I've done a very quick test shoot using just one Vivitar on the background and 580EX bouncing off a reflector in front of the subject:

and probably can achieve the necessary effect with an extra flash at the background and better positioning of front lights, but the person I am doing this for does not mind paying for hire of additional equipment if needed, so I am not sure if I should hire a full studio flash setup and defenitely have enough light or just hire a backdrop, flash stands with softboxes and use my existing flashes, which I am already familiar with, especially the handy ETTL-II on my 580EX.

I have never dealt with studio flashes, so my main concern is that I will not have enough time to learn how to setup and use them properly, unless somebody here assures me there is a set that is very easy to setup and use, or that at the place of hire I can get a quick run down on how to set it up and use.

Cheers.[/url]
Last edited by pelmeshkin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pelmeshkin

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm

A couple of questions back to you, if I may.

First of all, are those images that you psted your's, as in did you make them? If so, well and good, but if not, please replace them with a link to to where they're sourced from, and then please go and read our FAQ, paying particular attention to the sections that relate to copyright. The first of these images looks to me as if it may be in breach of our rules, so I'd appreciate your further clarification of this point.

Also, while you're there, please also note the section where it says, as it does on the sign-up page, that you need to put a reasonable description of your location in your profile.

Sydney, Sydney, is not acceptable: if you live in Sydney, then Sydney CBD will be fine, but otherwise, your suburb is what you need to include.

Thanx in advance for your future cooperation.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

After doing what Gary's mentioned, if the second photo is from what you have, why not just go with that setup since you're comfortable with it rather than hiring studio strobes which you've never used before.

The first pic, the white gradient at the bottom is easily created in photoshop. No need to complicate things if you don't have to.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Re: Studio equipment for hire in Sydney?

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Now that the housekeeping has been taken care of ...

Welcome to our forums.

pelmeshkin wrote:I wonder if anyone can advice on a place in Sydney where I can hire a backdrop with a stand and possibly three strobes with softboxes and stands for a few days?

For the cost of hiring, you may even be able to buy something. Do a search of the forums; there have been lots of threads since the start of the year on the related topics of studio lighting and setting up a home studio, and many of those contain links to inexpensive home studio setups that are available for outright purchase.

From what I've seen, you can pretty well buy a two light setup, plus some background stands, for maybe around $500 total.

That said ...

Basically, the main requirement is to have a white background. I understand I need at least three light sources: 2 for the background, so it is bright and even on both sides, and one for the subject. All lightsshou, or at least the one on the subject, should be softened by a diffuser or a softbox.

If it's transluscent, you could light the backgound from the rear, thus freeing up two light sources for your subject. Or you could place a background light behind your subject, pointed directly at the backgound.

Either way, I'd be reserving two lights for the subject, rather than for the background. If you want the background to be very white, just dial up the power on the light source and blow the background right out exposure wise.

I have the following equipment already:
Canon 30D + 580EX flash + ST-E2 remote transmitter
and 2 x Vivitar 285 flashes hooked up via pc-sinc cable (well, one is hooked up and another one has an optical slave sensor on it). I also have a 80cm white reflector.

The 285s may be a little down in power, but probably not be too much.

You don't mention that you have any brollies and/or light stands; I'm going to presume that you don't. If that is the case, then you do have some issues, because you do need some means of fixing the light sources into postions that are suitable for this sort of job.

And it really doesn't matter too much what the light sources are, and brollies will work fine for thos sort of job.

One light either side of you, set a little above the models' eyeline, each one bouncing out of a brolly, would be a good starting point. Set one light at about 60% power of the first. Again, these are starting points, chimp and use your histogram to determine correct exposure and lighting, and modify to suit.

What glass is the 30D wearing?

I have never dealt with studio flashes, so my main concern is that I will not have enough time to learn how to setup and use them properly,

That's a very valid concern. You do need some time to learn how to best use this sort of setup, and of course, each brand/kit is a bit (to a great deal) different. That's why I suggest the consideration of the purchase of a small kit.

Finally, looking at the image that you've shot (and why does the lady in that image look familiar to me?) in using the 285 for the background, it seems to me that it's unshielded, and off to camera left. You have quite a bit of spill, which has resulted in the neck and face of the model (her rh side) being totally blown.

While it's one thing to go for the high key image, blowing the details in this way is probably not what you were intending to do. Again, try the 285 directly behind the model, but facing away from you, and directly towards the background. See if that makes things better.

Cheers.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby pelmeshkin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:08 pm

gstark wrote:If so, well and good, but if not, please replace them with a link to to where they're sourced from...The first of these images looks to me as if it may be in breach of our rules, so I'd appreciate your further clarification of this point.

Replaced the first image with the link, even though it is owned by and hosted on the website of the company I work for, but just to be on the safe side.

gstark wrote:Sydney, Sydney, is not acceptable: if you live in Sydney, then Sydney CBD will be fine, but otherwise, your suburb is what you need to include.

Fixed this.

Going to read your second reply, thanks.
Last edited by pelmeshkin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pelmeshkin

Postby wendellt on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:17 pm

that picture you posted uses 2 strobes one softbox to the left and probably a naked strobe to the right

it's not a complex setup and what you have achieved with your test shoot looks good, i don't think you need a whole studio setup with 3 lights to do what you have to do

but if you want half day studio hire for around $250 on a weekday in the CBD the cheapest place i found is a place called total focus on pitt street

they have 3x digital hyundai photonics strobes there a huge softbox and a backdrop system

compared to any other studio in sydney thats a bargain

contact earl roberts 1300 725 720
http://www.totalfocus.com.au

if your hit it on with them you coudl get it for a whole day same price
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Re: Studio equipment for hire in Sydney?

Postby pelmeshkin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm

gstark wrote:From what I've seen, you can pretty well buy a two light setup, plus some background stands, for maybe around $500 total.

Makes sense. I might do just that.

gstark wrote:If it's transluscent, you could light the backgound from the rear, thus freeing up two light sources for your subject. Or you could place a background light behind your subject, pointed directly at the backgound.

Good tips, thanks.

gstark wrote:And it really doesn't matter too much what the light sources are, and brollies will work fine for thos sort of job.

Will get them brollies with stands.

gstark wrote:What glass is the 30D wearing?

She's wearing a 24-105mm f4L

gstark wrote:Finally, looking at the image that you've shot (and why does the lady in that image look familiar to me?) in using the 285 for the background, it seems to me that it's unshielded, and off to camera left. You have quite a bit of spill, which has resulted in the neck and face of the model (her rh side) being totally blown.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. The lady in the image was in a hurry, so I just made a quick few shots to ensure I can achieve the white background and will sure play with the setup before the shoot using your advice. Thank you very much, gstark, you've been very helpful.
pelmeshkin

Postby pelmeshkin on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:54 am

Ok, I've searched the forums and decided to go check Vanbar store tomorrow for light-stands, brollies and a backdrop. Thanks, guys.
pelmeshkin

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:16 am

You might also want to check Dragon Imaging, and have a browse through eBay.

Cheers.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Sydney