Maitland Steamfest 20/4 to 22/4

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Maitland Steamfest 20/4 to 22/4

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Maitland Steamfest is on from Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd April.

I'll be going along for the great photo ops on both Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd. If anyone else is interested in joining me on either or both days, please express your interest below.

Events on both days include numerous steam train trips to and fro from maitland station, a steam vintage machinery exhibit, tours of the former Maitland Gaol and the Walka Water treatment works as well as lots of street activities. On the Sunday there is also a car show with over 700 vintage, veteran and classic cars and a race between the 3830 locomotive and a tiger moth plane between Broadmeadow (near Newcastle) and Maitland.

You can get more details on Steamfest HERE and for an example of the photo ops HERE are some pics I took last year.
Last edited by stubbsy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:07 pm

I'll be there :)

I wonder if Stubbsy will get on telly again? ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby radar on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Peter,

count me in for some of the weekend, not sure which part yet.

I'd be interested in the Firebox photo ops that the flyer refers to. I'll give them a ring tomorrow about it.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby firsty on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:24 pm

just showed this to the wife
looks like you will have the company of the whole Family (2x adults, 2x kids)
where would be the best place to stay on the Saturday night... some sort of self contained cabin arrangement
firsty

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:27 pm

André - The firebox would be good - missed it last year.

Keith - I'll check around for you. Do you want to stay near Maitland or Newcastle or Port Stephens (ie what else do you want to do if anything).
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Peter,

Why not add this to the calendar?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:46 pm

gstark wrote:Peter,

Why not add this to the calendar?

it's there Gary I added it at luncht ime. I can see it
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Yep, I can see it too!
Alpha_7

Postby michael_ on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:01 pm

im there
michael_

Postby Kyle on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Yeah i might head up too i think :)
Kyle

Postby michael_ on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:48 pm

damn busy month, bathurst, sydney sand sculptures, canberra baloon fiesta, maitland steamfest, wakefield, sheesh
michael_

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 pm

You're ahead of me Peter.

Again.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:41 am

Hi,

radar wrote:I'd be interested in the Firebox photo ops that the flyer refers to. I'll give them a ring tomorrow about it.

Phoned the organisers about the Firebox photo ops. They are not sure if they will run it this year. I was told they should know next week. I've put my name down and also said that there would be 3 others. Last year, the cost was $15. You got to go to the train yards where the locomotives were parked for the night and you could then get up close to the trains. I wasn't able to go last year and would be keen to go this year.

If enough of us show some interest, they will run it again. I've left my contact details with them and they will call back. Feel free to call and put your name down, (02)49312877. Alternatively, I'm happy to call them back to let them know how many would be interested. Just let me know on this thread.

From the flyer:
Firebox Photo Opportunity
Visit http://www.steamfest.com.au for details of this exciting opportunity to capture unique images of steaming locomotives.

No more info on website so far.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby firsty on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:18 pm

I have just booked the family into the Motto Farm motel @ Raymond Terrace
Friday and Saturday nights
2 bedroom family unit $130 per night (NMRA discount) and they still have rooms http://www.mottofarmmotel.com.au

anyone have any plans for what trains to ride and times to see the jail
plus the wife wants to go to the morpeth fiery food festival at some time
firsty

Postby radar on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:52 am

Went for a drive yesterday from Maitland/Paterson/Dungog to see where would be some good places to see/photograph the trains in action. I'll put the info together with times.

There a few nice bridges/overpass/curves that have potential.

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:26 am

radar wrote:Went for a drive yesterday from Maitland/Paterson/Dungog to see where would be some good places to see/photograph the trains in action. I'll put the info together with times.

There a few nice bridges/overpass/curves that have potential.

Cheers,

André

there was a level crossing somewhere too andré - we went there last year
Peter
stubbsy

Postby radar on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:51 pm

stubbsy wrote:there was a level crossing somewhere too andré - we went there last year

I'll also include that one on the list.

I've received confirmation that the Firebox Photo Opportunity is on this year again. It will run Saturday night and will be from 6pm to 9pm. Tickets are $15.

This photo opp is at the Hunter Valley Training Company, Junction Street in Telarah. They will run a shuttle bus from the Maitland train station and of course, you can drive there. I'm happy to give a lift to those interested.

From last year's info:
Capture the fiery action fo the 3830 and 10 class steam engines which promise a spectacular photo opportunity!!

Tickets can be bought on the day but you can also pre-book them by calling (02)4931 2877. Not sure how popular this will be, so if you are sure that you want to go, book a ticket this week.

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Trieu on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Hmmmm I am free this weekend and this just might take up the spot.

Will confirm soon :)
Cheers,
Trieu
30D and TWO L's
Trieu

Postby michael_ on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:02 pm

so who is going and what times? there are three things on this weekend i need to plan for, so whats everyones schedule?
michael_

Postby firsty on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm heading up midday Friday with the family
I'm booked for the Saturday night firebox photo op
I think I'll do Maitland gaol Friday if possible
planning to do just one train trip, most likely the branxton excursion
saturday 10.45 Mait->branx 12.40 branx->mait
the rest of the time will play it by ear but will be going to the Morpeth Fiery Foods Festival at some stage

here is the ride timetable
http://svc069.wic437d.server-web.com/images/maitland/Final_AllTrain_12042007.pdf
firsty

Postby stubbsy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Some proposed times:

Meet at Maitland station at 8:30 am (OUTSIDE the station) on Saturday morning

Stay at station until 10:30 am to observe:
  • 9:15 am platform 4 - the 3830/3801 steam train departs for Branxton
  • 9:30 am platform 2 - the CPH1/CPH7 diesel rail motor departs for Paterson
  • 9:45 am platform 1 - the 3112 steam train departs for Newcastle
  • 10:15 am the 3830/3801 steam train returns from Branxton

Keith can then head off to Branxton on the train at 10:45. For the rest of those attending we'll stay in Maitland, but NOT at the station (it gets very crowded and near impossible to get decent shots as things head up to lunch). Instead we'll head out of maitalnd for the remainder of the day.

I have spoken to André and he's looking at times and spots after 10:30 where we get shots of trains on their travels. I'll leave it to him to flesh that out (thanks André) but also on the Saturday we'll visit the steam equipment in the rally grounds and have lunch together for those interested.

Saturday night is the Firebox photo op starting at 6pm for those interested (so far Keith, André and myself are booked)

Sunday is the classic car show and (late in the day for those still in town) is the great train vs tiger moth race which arrives at Maitland at 5:05 pm (it travels from Broadmeadow closer to Newcastle leaving at 4:15 pm). This race will see TWO steam trains racing for much of the trip as well as the Tiger Moth

Note: For those in Newcastle on the Friday night, the 3801 steam train arrives at Newcastle station from Maitland at 7:03 pm and departs for the return trip to Maitland at 8:37 pm so there will be some nighttime photo ops too.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Trieu on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Sorry... I won't be able to make this trip, but looking forward to the pictures!
Cheers,
Trieu
30D and TWO L's
Trieu

Postby michael_ on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:03 pm

so which is the better day to go Peter? i was planning for the sunday, having looked at their website it seems most of the same things which happen on the sat happen on the sunday too.
michael_

Postby stubbsy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:19 pm

michael_ wrote:so which is the better day to go Peter? i was planning for the sunday, having looked at their website it seems most of the same things which happen on the sat happen on the sunday too.

Michael

If you have only one day and can get to Maitland and back with no problems then Sunday is the best single day as it also has the car show. Because of that it is also a lot more crowded. being a local I prefer the Saturday morning when it's less busy and return on the Sunday for the car show. I've largely pushed the Saturday since I figured that allowed time for a late return for any Sydney people without the following day being a work day especially since Sunday night traffic into Sydney tends to be quite heavy. Hope that makes sense. If you are coming on the Sunday I'll be happy to hook up with you.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby firsty on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:42 pm

note Sunday traffic will be extra heavy heading back to Sydney as it is the end of the school holidays as well :(
firsty

Postby michael_ on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:02 pm

stubbsy wrote:Michael

If you have only one day and can get to Maitland and back with no problems then Sunday is the best single day as it also has the car show. Because of that it is also a lot more crowded. being a local I prefer the Saturday morning when it's less busy and return on the Sunday for the car show. I've largely pushed the Saturday since I figured that allowed time for a late return for any Sydney people without the following day being a work day especially since Sunday night traffic into Sydney tends to be quite heavy. Hope that makes sense. If you are coming on the Sunday I'll be happy to hook up with you.

how much of the sat morning will it take up? and what time should i get there? i may just do the sat morning too (i hate crowds) then go to eastern creek in the afternoon
michael_

Postby radar on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:54 pm

I've gone and put a number of point on a google map with good spots to take photos from. There are a couple river crossings and some underpass, etc. This gives us some places to go after the morning at the Maitland Station.
Steamfest Google Map

On Saturday, just before the Firebox at about 5:30, there should be train going to Dungog so it could be a good photo opp at the Hunter river crossing.

I've also shown where the Firebox photo opp is if you want to drive there instead of taking the shuttle.

I was thinking of having lunch at Paterson, it should be a nice spot with the trains and the historic buildings.

Sunday morning is a good time to catch the 3801 crossing some bridges, check the map for appropriate times.

Let me know if you can't see the points I've put on Google Maps, first time I've used it, but it is a very nice tool.

I'm happy to give a lift to some of these spots, just ask on Saturday.

See you on the weekend :-)

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks for the work on the map André

Lunch at Paterson sounds good, but AFAIK the trains to Paterson (CPH1 and CPH7) are rail motors not steam engines - still interesting, but diesel not steam driven. (see image below from last year)

Michael - if you want to come Saturday then you can get the stuff at Maitland station done to 10:45 as I mention a few posts back, then rally ground steam equipment or trains on the tracks as per André's map and back to Sydney around lunch time.

Peter
stubbsy

Postby radar on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:54 pm

stubbsy wrote:Lunch at Paterson sounds good, but AFAIK the trains to Paterson (CPH1 and CPH7) are rail motors not steam engines - still interesting, but diesel not steam driven. (see image below from last year)

Unfortunately, not many steam trains actually pass through Paterson but there is the Sunday morning Barrington Bullet which would be nice.

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby daniel_r on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Great work on the map André!

I'm overdue for a meet up that way, and unfortunately doesn't look like I'll be able to make this one either :(

Hope you have some decent shooting weather :D
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Postby michael_ on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:12 pm

awesome guys, thank you, so where on sat morning are you guys meeting and what time?
michael_

Postby radar on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Michael,

first train leaves at 9:15 on Sat morning, I plan to be there around 8:30 at the Maitland train station.

Look on my google map link, I've got a marker for the station.

Daniel, pity you can't make this one but I've got a couple more in the thinking phase - Ocean to Lake, ....

See you on Sat Michael,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby michael_ on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 pm

done, excellent, ill have a black beanie on, green jumper and canon gear ;) look a little mean with my beard
michael_

Return to Sydney