Night shots around Rushcutters Bay?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Night shots around Rushcutters Bay?

Postby No Body on Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 pm

G'day, tomorrow night I have to take my son to Rushcutters Bay and want to take advantage of the time with some night shots around that area. Am I better off making my way further east towards vaucluse to get some shots looking at the bridge? Should I take a flash or just a tripod?

Neil
No Body

Postby Geoff on Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not hugely familiar with Rushcutters Bay, however I did want to say that I think your flash will be next to useless for night (long exposure) type shots. Others may think differently but I doubt it.

If I wasn't busy I'd agree to meet up with you and get some shots but alas it isn't meant to be - this time :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby phillipb on Thu May 24, 2007 11:31 pm

I agree with geoff about the flash, unless you're planning on lighting up the foreground, eg. fill flash for a portrait with the skyline in the background.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Fri May 25, 2007 7:34 am

Neil,

At Ruschutters Bay, you're just a hiccough away from Kings Cross. That could be good photographically, or perhaps not. Maybe bring your tripod, and shoot around the El Alamien Fountain?

Not too much to photograph in Rushcutters ... but Double Bay is the other direction from The Cross and the city. Walk down Cross St for some urban grit.

Er, I mean chic.

If you're wanting to shoot city nightscapes, then your flash will be as useful as a bicycle is to a fish, but a good tripod will definitely be of some use.

And welcome ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby No Body on Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I didn't think about city (chic) shots. Thats what I can use my flash for.
A bit of planning will help me. I think I've got about 2hrs free.

Neil
No Body

Return to Sydney