How to get to Wetlands Photo shoot Sat 19/2

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How to get to Wetlands Photo shoot Sat 19/2

Postby stubbsy on Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:41 pm

If you're interested in full details of this meet go tothis thread There are still some spaces and one of them could be yours. Cost to enter the wetlands is $5 - a bargain. If you want to come just post a reply here.

So far I have the following attending:
  • birddog
  • Matt K.
  • Sheepie
  • Killakoala
  • Stubbsy
  • Onyx (probable)
A few points:
  1. Please arrive at the wetlands carpark at 9:00 am sharp ready for us to head off at 9:15 am. Because of the size of the wetlands there's no way we'll be able to meet up with you if you're late :!:
  2. I timed this drive from birddog's place in Belmore and it took me about 2 hours 15 mins with average weekend traffic and (mostly) following the speed limit. I'd suggest this is a reasonable benchmark for you to use
  3. Bring sunscreen and a hat as a lot of the time you'll be in the sun (although there are hides and shaded areas scattered along the way)
  4. Bring water. YOU WILL GET THIRSTY
  5. Bring insect repellant. While there were no mossies when I was there 3 weeks ago, anywhere that has still water can have mosquitoes so they might be there Saturday
  6. Don't worry about lunch. I live about 10 minutes from the Wetlands and I'll feed you.
  7. If you don't have it already, PM me for my mobile number so I can direct you if you get lost (see below for driving instructions)
  8. If it's raining the meet will be postponed to another date. So I can tell you if it is to be postponed please PM me with a contact number. If you prefer I can SMS rather than ring - just tell me to do so
How to get there
  • Follow the Sydney-Newcastle freeway until you see the sign showing two exits coming up. The first is for Cardiff closely followed by the Newcastle exit. Make sure you take the Newcastle one!
  • This puts you on the Newcastle Link road. Drive along this following all the signs for Newcastle until you get to the end where the speed limit changes to 70Km from 90Km.
  • Proceed through this roundabout still following the Newcastle sign and you'll pass 2 Shell servos (one on each side of the road)
  • Keep going until you reach the top of a hill with a big roundabout. You turn right here into Newcastle Rd (again still following the Newcastle sign :) )
  • Continue along Newcastle road through a number of roundabouts and sets of traffic lights until you get to some traffic lights at Jesmond (a T intersection with Bluegum road). On the corner on the left you have Jesmond Hotel and (still on the left) the other corner is Hungry Jacks. Proceed straight ahead at these traffic lights, but make sure you are in the leftmost lane when you pull up at the traffic lights
  • Almost immediately after going through the traffic lights you'll be at a roundabout where the lane you are in goes left and that's where you should go (the sign will say University/Maitland/Taree). This is 3km from the roundabout you hit at the end of the freeway
  • This puts you on another dual lane road with a 90km speed limit. Follow this road to it's end.
  • When you get to the end the speed limit changes back down to 60km and you're at another roundabout. This roundabout is at the entrance to the Wetlands and you take the second exit at the roundabout as indicated on the sign.
If you've now arrived without getting lost it's because of my excellent directions. If not it's your lousy navigation :D

Look forward to seeing you
Last edited by stubbsy on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Matt. K on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:02 am

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Looking forward to seeing the wetlands and meeting up with everybody. Sounds like another fabulous adventure!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby stubbsy on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Attendees:

One thing I didn't think to ask - are you bringing any family or friends?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Matt. K on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:17 pm

Stubbsy
1 wife. Need someone to carry my bag and tripod.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby sheepie on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 pm

Will just be me - the other two are taking the opportunity to visit the family :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby fozzie on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Stubbsy,

Matt. K wrote:Stubbsy
1 wife. Need someone to carry my bag and tripod.

Does your wife know that she is carrying your bag and tripod :?: .
She might have news for you :!: .

I hope the weather is fine and do have a good time.

ta ta for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Fozzie
If she reads this forum I'm a dead man.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Return to Sydney