Complaint

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Complaint

Postby vanstar on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Cannot post in - for sale section. Seems some kind of silly boys club.
G. Stark no help.
What gives?

NPS member
vanstar

Re: Complaint

Postby photohiker on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Look here:

faq.php#f418

Don't poke sticks at the animals. They bite :D

Michael
photohiker

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 pm

VANSTAR (NPS Member)- you could be a member of the Royal Family and you would still have to comply with the regulations that all members here abide by.

Read the FAQ section.

And then, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

This thread is locked.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Let me add a few facts to this petulant little person's diatribe.

The forum has had, in place for several years, a number of rules. Those rules apply to all members of the forum. Those rules clearly set out the requirements for "special access", and there is hardly a week that goes by where I need to refer some person to those rules, which exist in the FAQ.

This morning I received an email from this person, with a history of just 11 posts over a period of nearly 3 years, stating that he didn't have access to the For sale section, and could I "fix it".

Well, first of all, nothing was broken, so nothing to fix.

I responded to his email, pointing out that the restriction was by design, and referred him to the FAQ. Had he taken a few moments to actually read the FAQ, he might have noticed that he needs to have about 50 posts to be granted access to the for sale section.

As always, the primary criteria that I take into consideration is one's participation in our community, and in all honesty, nobody is going to, with a straight face, tell me that a total of just 11 posts in 3 years is a satisfactory level of participation in this community.

The bottom line appears to be that this person wants to advertise something for sale here, and gain the proceeds from that sale, but not have the common courtesy to even bother to pay for that advertising in kind (by community participation).

That demonstrates precisely the reason that we have our rules in place, and his petulant little post only earns him my displeasure, and an official warning.

Frankly, I really don't care if he never bothers to visit this site again: we are way better off without this sort of taker.

And oh yes .,.. who gives a damn that he's an NPS member? As if that matters! It would seem that he knows only too well about silly boys' clubs :)

Thank you Michael and Trevor for your support.

And a suggestion to Vanstar: Thanksgiving is just around the corner. You should be very careful. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Rudi, this is a private forum run for the benefit of members. It is privately owned, it is not a public advertising service. The primary aim is to encourage photography and the sharing of knowledge about photography. It also encourages interaction between members.

The access to the for sale section is restricted as it slows down the amount of time spent removing spam by the unpaid moderators, it also stops people posting who are not interested in being part of our community. This also reduces fraud, as many members know each other. The requirement for posting is full membership, as stated in the FAQ.

We welcome involvement in the community and thank you for your 11 posts in the last 3 years of membership. If you had chosen to read the FAQ when you joined you probably would have realised some of the above. I am sorry to read you are disappointed that we do not offer a free advertising service to everyone who comes along, our resources are finite and contributed by members, may I possibly suggest you try Ebay or The Trading Post, though you may find they have some silly boys club rules of their own, usually along the lines of you are required to pay them. Good luck in your sale and thank you for thinking of us as a sales venue. PS GStark is the owner and funder of this forum.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:54 pm

One final point, Rudi ...

Changing your registered email address BEFORE you made your petulant pointless post here was a total waste of time. The system records these details as a matter of course.

But some might wonder at why you thought to take such action. Seems somewhat pre-meditative to me ... not a good look, and certainly not professional behaviour.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Sydney