Extra Large Prints?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Extra Large Prints?

Postby Ben.bb on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey guys
ive been looking around for places for places that print large photos
im looking to print a photo ruffly 160cm x 40cm (pano)
any ideas?
Canon Body's, Canon Glass, Lowepro Bags, Manfrotto & Gittos Poles = My Empty Bank Account
Ben.bb

Re: Extra Large Prints?

Postby Geoff on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Go and see the helpful guys at c41 express in Chard Rd, Brookvale.
www.c41express.com.au
I had an even bigger pano printed by them in 2007, they did a great job.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks so much Geoff, first reply and ive already saved $150 and its just down the road
:D gota love this forum!
Canon Body's, Canon Glass, Lowepro Bags, Manfrotto & Gittos Poles = My Empty Bank Account
Ben.bb

Postby Geoff on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Ben.bb wrote:Thanks so much Geoff, first reply and ive already saved $150 and its just down the road
:D gota love this forum!

Can we see your pano? :)
Happy to hear you're saving some $$.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks Agian for saving me money! it is always a useful thing epically with this hobby ! :(
Last edited by Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben.bb

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 pm

i will post it when its finished (haven't actually taken it yet), at the moment I'm doing research on where to print it as well as other things for the portfolio side of things for my year 12 major work, I'm doing a HDTR (High Dynamic Time Range Image) Pano, so basically its a pano that stretch across time (16 hours) from early morning to night time and fades left to right across the image and building a robotic pano head to accurately position the camera for each shot so that each pano is the same (all 32 of them) so that i can fade them correctly, yes i kno im crazy lol, any tips, advice, locations?
Ben.bb

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Ben.bb wrote:i will post it when its finished (haven't actually taken it yet), at the moment I'm doing research on where to print it as well as other things for the portfolio side of things for my year 12 major work, I'm doing a HDTR (High Dynamic Time Range Image) Pano, so basically its a pano that stretch across time (16 hours) from early morning to night time and fades left to right across the image and building a robotic pano head to accurately position the camera for each shot so that each pano is the same (all 32 of them) so that i can fade them correctly, yes i kno im crazy lol, any tips, advice, locations?

That sounds really good, GREAT IDEA, I cant wait to see it. Good luck!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby who on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 pm

That sounds like an awesome project and the result should be very interesting.

The key will also be to ensure that your pano head is very stable as well..... which in itself will be an engineering challenge.

Have you decided what sort of focal length, aperture, etc you plan to shoot it at?

And most importantly, have you tried the manual version to see if it could work (ie just use a good head with degrees marked out on it and rotate the camera (say) 5 degrees every 30 minutes and take a shot?

I do like the sound of this, wonder if I could be dedicated enough to try it myself.....
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Geoff wrote:Go and see the helpful guys at c41 express in Chard Rd, Brookvale.
http://www.c41express.com.au
I had an even bigger pano printed by them in 2007, they did a great job.

Just avoid 18 Chard Road! (or not) :twisted:
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:13 pm

i have tried it with a manual pano head, one i build with markings and nodial point adjustment slides both horizontal and on the arm pretty much a copy of the manfrotto with out being as pretty or costing me an arm and two legs.
i made it out 1.5cm Al bar for the nodial point adjustment bars and modifying an old surveyors head + tripod to make it steady and smooth, it worked extremely well but for things like 12 across x 3 deep panos it just took too long and even slow things move in that amount of time so i took that design and Ive added servo motors and a computer chip to it and am currently in the process of finishing of the program for it, my plan is to take a full pano sweep every 30 min even tho its a waste of photos it means that i can fade better in pp, so ill stitch them all together then over lay in photoshop and then fade.
im planing to use ither my 50mm 1.8 at f/11-18 or my 28mm 2.8 stopped down to similar id love to try and pinch a nice L prime :D of similar focal length for the shoot but ill see how that goes
the aperture is going to depending on the amount of foreground i choose to shoot
I shall keep you guys updated on my progress if you'd like? i cant wait till its done
if you guys would like when its done, ill bring it along to a meet , Ive been planing on getting more involved just haven't had the time recently
Ben.bb

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 pm

whats at 18 chard rd?
Ben.bb

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Ben.bb wrote:whats at 18 chard rd?

Brookvale Relaxation Centre. Nothing more need be said. :D :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:07 pm

The advice from the forum is to use a lens that has a longer focal length so there is less distortion. Therefore your 50mm f/1.8 will be ideal for this.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Ben.bb on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 pm

dont you worry Reschsmooth ill be sure to keep clear of Brookvale Relaxation Centre
can you define "distortion" for me a bit aim54x are you talking about the curve that happens in wide panos? or something elese?
Ben.bb

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 am

Exactly that, using a wide lens for a pano stitch causes a curvature to your pano that can make it hard to stitch and using perspective correction can lead to funny images with distorted features (especially towards the edges), using a normal to longer lens helps to prevent this.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Sydney