What to do with an hour or two in the CBD?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What to do with an hour or two in the CBD?

Postby DaveB on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Looks like I may have an hour or so free in the Sydney CBD on the afternoon of the 4th of November before heading to the airport.

It's been a few years since I was there. I will of course have a camera with me so I can amuse myself for a while, but are there are any photo galleries (or even good camera stores) I should poke my head into while I'm there?
DaveB

Re: What to do with an hour or two in the CBD?

Postby Matt. K on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm

If you're up in the Paddington area then a visit to the Australian Centre of Photography is always worthwhile. A visit to the NSW Library is also good value as there's always a good exhibition on upstairs.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby surenj on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Foto Reisel in Kent Street has a few interesting vintage type of items...

Remember that Kent street has a whole host of adventure type shops [Kathmandu, Macpac etc etc] that you may be keen to browse through.... :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 pm

On the way to Foto Riesel, stop by Mecca Espresso on King Street (betwix York & Clarence Streets, under the Forum Grace Hotel) - they serve, unarguably, the best espresso in the CBD, apart from the Nespresso store further up the road. :biglaugh:

And, take photos of their Mistral machines. They are amazing.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:19 am

Dave,

No really good photo stores in Sydney. Certainly nothing like the little enclave you've got in Elizabeth St.

As well as Matt's suggestions, there's the Museum of Sydney, on Bridge St opposite AMP Centre, and there's also the MCA in the old MSB building right at Circular Quay. The Museum of Sydney often has photographic exhibitions.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks folks.
I doubt I'll get out to Paddington: I don't want to be rushing around too much before getting on a City Circle train to whisk me off to the airport... I'll be starting at the north end of town, so maybe I'll just wander southward and eventually get on a train at Town Hall.

Reschsmooth wrote:On the way to Foto Riesel, stop by Mecca Espresso on King Street (betwix York & Clarence Streets, under the Forum Grace Hotel) - they serve, unarguably, the best espresso in the CBD, apart from the Nespresso store further up the road. :biglaugh:

I guess that might be more enticing if I regularly drank coffee (I think it's been a couple of years now). :roll:
DaveB

Return to Sydney