Which Circular Polarizer?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Elver on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi

I'm about to buy a circular polarizing filter for a new lens and was curious if anyone had any recommendations.

Is the Hoya HD one of the best?
EOS 5D MkII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS, 24-70mm f/2.8LIS, 50mm f/1.2, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX II
Elver

Re: Which Circular Polarizer?

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 pm

The best is probably B+W. Better built, brass rings & quality glass. I use B+W exclusively now. Before that I used Hoya and they were OK. They're world's apart, but so are their prices ;-)
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I've used the Hoya HD (I have a 72mm CPL) and now use the B+W (77mm CPL) - they both appear to be well made and nice to use (the B+W heavier and as Peter said appear to be better built).

NB: I purchased mine online @ maxsaver.net and the price difference between say the 77mm Hoya HD and the B+W F-PRO MRC (or even KSM which is on special ATM) is perhaps not as much as you might expect.

The Hoya HD is slimmer though (and has front thread) so that may matter if you're using on a really wide lens (vignetting) - there is a slim version of the B+W but I don't like how it doesn't have front threads and has a pop on cap but thats just me. If you're shooting really wide you may not want to use a CPL anyway since you get variable polarising effects across the frame (because of the extreme angles of view).
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:54 pm

If you hurry into the city, Foto Riesel are selling off a bunch of filters very very cheap. There are Rodenstock which are rebadged B+W as well as Hoya Marumi and others. There are some CPL in the box, but sizes are "grab what you can"
I was in there the other day & scored a 52, 77 and 62 Rodenstock CPL. But missed out on the 58 that I really wanted. I did get a 58 UV though.

As for CPL filters, #1 are B+W but I think the Hoya HD are not too far behind and extremely tough. I have a Hoya HD for travel now after scratching a couple of Non-HD on my last trip.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I have Hoya HMC 67mm, Marumi DHG 77mm, B+W KSM 52mm and Rodenstock HR Digital (55/58/67/77).....

The B+W KSM is my best....simply beautiful build and the KSM just "feels" nicer, my Hoya is on its last legs - I had to reseat the glass as it had worked loose and shifted in the ring at some point. The Marumi does its job and is a nice slim one.

The Rodenstock HR Digitals are meant to be the equivalent of the standard B+W (brass rings, Schott glass etc), I picked these up at work as we are currently clearing them at silly prices...$40 each. These will replace the Hoya immediately an most likely the Marumi in the future.

EDIT: beaten by Greg!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Elver on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.857808,151.214149
EOS 5D MkII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS, 24-70mm f/2.8LIS, 50mm f/1.2, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX II
Elver

Return to Trader Opinions