Flash Issues - D80

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Flash Issues - D80

Postby newmankl on Sat May 02, 2009 12:41 am

Hi,

I recently bought a D80, and all is going well so far, except for when I use the in-built flash. It comes out all white, this happens with every single photo, and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

Here is an example:

Any help with this would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance guys,

Tim.
newmankl

Re: Flash Issues - D80

Postby Glen on Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 am

Tim what mode are you using it in, A, P, M, S, etc? Does this happen in P mode?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Pa on Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 am

Hi Tim, try shooting in manual...aperture between f5.6 to f8...shutter about 250....if still bright try a higher aperture number

you can dial down the strength of the flash also...your camera manual will explain
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby gstark on Sat May 02, 2009 9:27 am

Tim,

A couple of things are evident from this image.

Look at the shadow at the bottom of the image, right in the middle, at the bottom edge of the frame. This is the shadow of your lenshood, which means that you are shooting at the wide angle setting of your lens. 18mm.

From that it follows that you are shooting at a very close distance to the subject, and in that regard, the auto exposure electronics of your camera and flash are less effective: the flash will tend to overpower your subjects at close distances.

As per Glen's request, what mode have you been shooting in? Does the flash head pop up by itself when shooting, or do you manually have to pup it up?

While Pa has suggested that you shoot in M mode, this looks to me as if you already may well be shooting in M, but with settings that not correct.

Alternatively, there will be a setting for the flash that permits you to set the flash power to up to three stops over (or under) the correct exposure. I generally have this set on my cameras to about -2/3EV. If you have this value set to +1.5EV or more, then this sort of image would be an expected outcome. In your viewfinder, do you see an icon with a +/- sign?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions